Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Bronson Arroyo = Jack Armstrong?

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Does Bronson Arroyo = Jack Armstrong?

Remember Jack Armstrong? Long ago (1990), he had a fantastic first half only to hit the dumpsters after the break to finish 12-9 and really never pitch well again, ending up with one more season in which he went 7-13. He played out his career with Cleveland, Florida and Texas and retired in 1994 by finishing up his career at 40-65.

What about Bronson Arroyo? Great start and then the hits came in bunches. I hope not, but it's very similar to what I remember Jack Armstrong did years ago.

I hope not.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Re: Does Bronson Arroyo = Jack Armstrong?

Didn't Jack also dye his hair blonde? If Bronson mentions anything about going on a tuna boat, the Reds are in trouble... [IIRC]!
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 17-16
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Sham

Not unless he throws his arm out in the all star game.

He did look tired his last couple of starts, lets hope the pen and Narron can give him a breather.

I think Arroyo has just hit that period of the year a lot of pitchers experience in that its a tired/dead arm time. A few days off should do wonders to revamp his season.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I just saw Bronson on a Boston show, he knows what he has to do to get that 10th win: it's cornrow time! And don't say I didn't warn you.

But, seriously, 130 IP already? I don't think he's really built for that kind of pace. He needs a break, and they should probably be a little more careful with him if they want him to still be pitching well late in the season.

Arroyo has always been a streaky pitcher.....I made note of this over a month ago when there were questions about whether or not the Reds needed to make a deal to stay competitive.

He certainly isn't anything like Armstrong.....but he runs hot and cold for sure.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    I just saw Bronson on a Boston show, he knows what he has to do to get that 10th win: it's cornrow time! And don't say I didn't warn you.

But, seriously, 130 IP already? I don't think he's really built for that kind of pace. He needs a break, and they should probably be a little more careful with him if they want him to still be pitching well late in the season.
    Narron's run both Harang and Arroyo through the woodchipper.

He's an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

He's an idiot.
    What kind of job do you have?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

who wouldnt be depleted with this pyromaniacal squad, he should have 13-14 wins by now if chris hammond, a "pitcher" who tops out at 70mph and various other scraps of dross had not tamponaded his victiories

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba
    What kind of job do you have?
    Forget it.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-11-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

He's an idiot.
    What do you propose we do then?

Should we have Milton or Mays start more often or should we let our bullpen pitch more innings in Harang and Arroyo's starts?

If you want to have one of those two scenarios happen rather than having Harang and Bronson pitch a bunch of innings, then I seriously question if you really want this team to win...
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

The difference is that before 1990, Armstrong had started a total of 21 games in the majors totaling about 100 innings. Bronson has 91 starts and 383 innings. He's proven he can pitch in the majors successfully, Armstrong hadn't. You might see a drop off, but it's not likely you'll see an Armstrong-like collapse.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

to bring the thread back to it's regular-scheduled program. The short answer to the original question is "no".
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by VI_RedsFan
    What do you propose we do then?

Should we have Milton or Mays start more often or should we let our bullpen pitch more innings in Harang and Arroyo's starts?

If you want to have one of those two scenarios happen rather than having Harang and Bronson pitch a bunch of innings, then I seriously question if you really want this team to win...
    Take out all starters after 110 pitches or so. It's just good policy. What the bullpen isn't capable of completing isn't Bronson's or Aaron's problem; it's the FO's.

Turn Off Ads?