Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Astros get Aubrey Huff for prospects

Astros get Aubrey Huff for prospects

From MLB.com: "The Houston Astros announced today that they have acquired outfielder Aubrey Huff and $1.625 million in cash considerations from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in exchange for minor league right-handed pitcher Mitch Talbot and minor league infielder Ben Zobrist. "

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp...=.jsp&c_id=hou

Interesting....

Mike
    "I think he'd be unbelievable. He's as organized as anyone in the game, he holds people accountable... He doesn't buy into stereotypical things in the game... Price looks at evidence. He's a freaking smart guy, he makes his decision on reasonable evidence." Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros get Aubrey Huff for prospects

Really not sure how much that helps them.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Good trade for Houston, Huff is a good player who can play multiple positions in a pinch, great second half player.

Considering theres not available this is a good trade by the astros. Im glad though that they didnt get tejada.

Huff stats:

Yr OBP SLG HR
    2003 .367 .555 34
    2004 .360 .493 29
    2005 .321 .428 22
    2006 .348 .461 8

Declining power at age 29.....

Mike
    "I think he'd be unbelievable. He's as organized as anyone in the game, he holds people accountable... He doesn't buy into stereotypical things in the game... Price looks at evidence. He's a freaking smart guy, he makes his decision on reasonable evidence." Bronson Arroyo

I'm toolsy.

espn.com poll asks if the Astros will make the playoffs with the addition of Huff. After 155 votes, 70% of peeps (including myself) are saying no.

Nice upgrade for the Astros. Preston Wilson and Jason Lane weren't exactly tearing things up.
    Huff is young enougth to help the Astros longterm. I don't know much about the prospects the Astros gave up, but this seems like a good trade for Houston.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Huff is young enougth to help the Astros longterm.
    Huff's actually in the last year of his contract. Of course he could resign with them.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Nice upgrade for the Astros. Preston Wilson and Jason Lane weren't exactly tearing things up.
    The problem that Huff is horrible with the glove. Beltran was young enough to help the Astros long term as well.

Huff isnt 35 Matty. He can be around for a few years and be a good puzzle piece. He is damn sure better than 30 year old prospect Jason Lane. Thats how this trade has to be looked at, is Huff an upgrade over Jason Lane.

Ding ding... he is!

Preston Wilson hasnt been hitting homeruns, but he has been pretty good.

This trade helps the Astros in alot of ways. The offense is better and the bench is deeper.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Quote Originally Posted by KYRed
    Huff's actually in the last year of his contract. Of course he could resign with them.
    Didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Astrobuddy
    Huff isnt 35 Matty. He can be around for a few years and be a good puzzle piece.
    I never said he is 35 or that he is old. I just mentioned that the Astros expected Beltran (who is the same age as Huff) to be around long term as well.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...php?chatId=215

IN23 (Baltimore): What are you thoughts about the Aubrey Huff to Houston trade? Did the D-Rays get a good return?

Nate Silver: I think they could have done better. There are SO many teams that are nominal contenders this year that a player like Huff could be subject to a bidding war of sorts. Don't see why they were so eager to fire their guns here.

Vic (Los Angeles): Hi Nate, What kind of production do you expect from Aubrey Huff over the rest of the season in the friendly confines of Houston?

Nate Silver: Less than you'd think. Houston is a BAD park for left-handed hitters, enough to have a very substantive effect on proper acqusition strategy. I know that the Astros needed a bat, but I don't particuarly like this trade from either side of the aisle.

Well, that's interesting. Nate doesn't like the trade from either end.

Not sure I've seen a trade declared "lose-lose" the next day.

Tampa should've gotten more, but Houston got screwed because he's probably going to be disappointing in their home park?

I disagree with Nate's assertion that the Astros should shy away from Left handed hitters. That seems bizzare, because you need balance in your lineup regardless of your home park, and you do play half your games on the road.

Other posters gave a good argument about Huff's defense, which IMO is a stronger arguement not to make this move.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson
    Huff stats:

Yr OBP SLG HR
    2003 .367 .555 34
    2004 .360 .493 29
    2005 .321 .428 22
    2006 .348 .461 8

Declining power at age 29.....

Mike
    huff was hurt at the beginning of the year and traditionally has a much better second half than first, he has not really declined at all
    2005 G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    Pre All Star 84 313 32 80 12 2 8 45 27 53 8 4 .256 .319 .383 .702
    Post All-Star 70 262 38 70 14 0 14 47 22 35 0 3 .267 .323 .481 .804

2004 G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    Pre All Star 87 334 47 90 11 1 13 52 34 33 3 1 .269 .340 .425 .765
    Post All-Star 70 266 45 88 16 1 16 52 22 41 2 0 .331 .386 .579 .965

2003 G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    Pre All Star 92 358 49 109 31 1 17 50 27 55 1 3 .304 .361 .539 .900
    Post All-Star 70 278 42 89 16 2 17 57 26 25 1 0 .320 .374 .576 .950

he is a good pickup for the 'stros to make a playoff run, we definately need to improve now

MLB Mock Draft
    2009:
    2. Dustin Ackley 27. Tyler Skaggs 33. Kyle Heckathorn 51. Nick Franklin 82. Billy Bullock

Turn Off Ads?