Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: its a long season?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,197

    its a long season?

    anyone else read where these announcers or sports writers types take time off during the season and comment about what a long season it is? I know the travel is probably exhausting but realistically the season at most for these guys is maybe from mid February-early October(late October for the playoff bound) they normally have at least one day off a week during the season and from what i understand they are at the stadium maybe 8 hours a day(no more than what every schlep has to put in at the factory/office every day),,yet they have from mid-october through at least mid-February off every year?? makes me want to

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,307

    Re: its a long season?

    It doesn't feel like a long season, I can't believe the All Star break has passed already.

  4. #3
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,627

    Re: its a long season?

    Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN
    anyone else read where these announcers or sports writers types take time off during the season and comment about what a long season it is? I know the travel is probably exhausting but realistically the season at most for these guys is maybe from mid February-early October(late October for the playoff bound) they normally have at least one day off a week during the season and from what i understand they are at the stadium maybe 8 hours a day(no more than what every schlep has to put in at the factory/office every day),,yet they have from mid-october through at least mid-February off every year?? makes me want to
    18 off days including the AS game all year, it is a long year just ask the 69 Cubs.

  5. #4
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,188

    Re: its a long season?

    Traveling is very tiring. You get off-schedule and invariably lose sleep, plus you don't have much control over what you're eating a lot of the time so you tend to eat and drink stuff that's bad for you at weird times and that makes you tired too. It's also mentally exhausting being away from the people you love, trying to keep up with all that while still doing your job. You're flying and driving a lot, there's a lot of boring, tiring waiting time and time zone changes...I think the "long season" refers more to the "draining season". And even if they're only at the stadium 8 hours a day, they're writing, researching, keeping up in the off-time. I'd be surprised if many of them truly worked only eight hours a day.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  6. #5
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,428

    Re: its a long season?

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Traveling is very tiring. You get off-schedule and invariably lose sleep, plus you don't have much control over what you're eating a lot of the time so you tend to eat and drink stuff that's bad for you at weird times and that makes you tired too. It's also mentally exhausting being away from the people you love, trying to keep up with all that while still doing your job. You're flying and driving a lot, there's a lot of boring, tiring waiting time and time zone changes...I think the "long season" refers more to the "draining season". And even if they're only at the stadium 8 hours a day, they're writing, researching, keeping up in the off-time. I'd be surprised if many of them truly worked only eight hours a day.
    Well said. Most of the guys that cover these teams are not exactly Spring Chickens, either.

    And I guarantee you they put in 10+ on most days.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  7. #6
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,622

    Re: its a long season?

    I thought this might be a thread about Jim Brosnan. Hmmm...I haven't read that one in years. Good book.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  8. #7
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: its a long season?

    Not to mention that a lot of the younger guys have other jobs besides just being announcers. Maybe they do guest spots on local radio stations, do PBP in other sports (ala Marty and his basketball announcing) or some other work.

    It's like hearing a DJ on the radio and thinking he only has to talk for a few hours, but forgetting all the prep work, interviews, research, remote radio spots, production, etc that goes into getting ready for those few hours.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  9. #8
    The wino and I know bucksfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    NW OHIO
    Posts
    3,039

    Re: its a long season?

    I know it would seem long to me - especially, as others have said, because of the travel. I would not want to be in that position quite honestly. A little time off, such as the small amount Marty is taking, would be in order IMO, especially by the older folks.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

  10. #9
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: its a long season?

    I think the players and coaching staffs have it harder than the beat reporters.

    They're at the park by 4 on game days and probably don't leave until 11 or 12 midnight, sometimes longer. Many go even earlier to work on stuff.

    Some of the coaching staff members aren't spring chickens either.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  11. #10
    Member keeganbrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,474

    Re: its a long season?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I think the players and coaching staffs have it harder than the beat reporters.

    They're at the park by 4 on game days and probably don't leave until 11 or 12 midnight, sometimes longer. Many go even earlier to work on stuff.

    Some of the coaching staff members aren't spring chickens either.
    Take players out of that sentence bc the reward is much greater.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

  12. #11
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: its a long season?

    Reward or not, it's still gruelling... they are human after all.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25