Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stoving a little bit

Hot Stoving a little bit

There has been a lot of Dontrelle Willis talk and a lot of Adam Dunn talk so I was trying to piece together how this could work. This has no rumor basis or anything just a thought that I thought would be fun to discuss

The Yankees need an OF of Dunn's caliber so how bout this three way. People say it would be impossible to get Willis without including Bailey which is unlikely... how bout this?

Reds receive
    Dontrelle Willis
    Joe Borowski

Yankees Recieve
    Adam Dunn

Marlins recieve"
    P Phillip Hughes
    P Jeff Marquez
    3B Carlo Vechionachi
    OF Javon Moran

Reds get help in the pen and an ace they need giving up Dunn and a guy thats probably #4 on the OF minor league depth chart? Yankees get Dunn a slugger for the years

The marlins get one of the best pitching prospects in baseball, 2 more of the Yankees top 10 prospects... and a guy in the form of Juan Pierre plus drop their biggest contract and their closer.

Dunn and a prospect is a lot to give up but We are getting a closer and ace at the deadline where value is a premium and Pitching has more value than bats...

Thoughts on either 3 sides? is this realistic?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stoving a little bit

I dislike Hotstoves in July.

Maybe airconditioners.

And in the rain-soaked Bronx, Brian Cashman has been seen laughing on 161st Street.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Nope...NYY giving up too much.

No thanks. I'd keep Dunn.

I'm just not that hot on Dontrelle.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

you think 3 prospects for Dunn is too much? Phillips is a great prospect but the other 2 are in the bottom of a top 10 in a system that isn't very strong. I don't think Marquez would even make our top 10. He has a low 4 era in high A i believe

Kearns and Bailey for Willis and a decent bullpen arm.

i dont see the reds giving up bailey without getting Willis and Cabrerra or something blockbuster like that. I think the whole organization is too high on him

Willis isn't going anywhere. I would focus my efforts on an Ervin Santana type, less heralded but perhaps another Bronson Arroyo in the making. Also will come with a lower price tag.

I still like the Kearns for Santana deal, straight up. Throw in any prospect not named Bailey, Bruce or Votto if you need to. Especially if it means we could squeeze one of their middle infield prospects out as well, as they have a backlog there. Freel/Denorfia platoon makes up for any lost offensive production.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh
    i dont see the reds giving up bailey without getting Willis and Cabrerra or something blockbuster like that. I think the whole organization is too high on him
    Bailye is doing well but he may never actually pan out and you think he's enough to land Willis and Cabrera?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana

I still like the Kearns for Santana deal, straight up. Throw in any prospect not named Bailey, Bruce or Votto if you need to.
    Those ARE the Reds' prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh
    you think 3 prospects for Dunn is too much? Phillips is a great prospect but the other 2 are in the bottom of a top 10 in a system that isn't very strong. I don't think Marquez would even make our top 10. He has a low 4 era in high A i believe
    If you were the Reds would you deal Bailey for Dunn? The Yankees are in desperate need of young pitching and have a potential ace in AA. I think that they would think about dealing Hughes more if they were getting Cabrera or Willis back. Not Dunn.

Personally I think Dunn would hate NY. The fans would be relentless with the Ks. And OBP won't mean anything to the media and fans out here if he hits .230. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Those ARE the Reds' prospects.
    I think there are some people that would bring Travis Wood, Johnny Cueto, and Zach Ward to your attention.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Bailye is doing well but he may never actually pan out and you think he's enough to land Willis and Cabrera?
    Obviously it would take a lot more but for him to be a piece of a deal i think we'd have to be getting that type of return for the brass to deal him.

As for Dunn hating NY, I'm sure he'd hate NY. He has said that he likes smaller cities and cincy is the right size and your exactly right about his Ks and OBP... however as far as I know Dunn doesn't have a no trade clause so it doesnt matter what he likes.

I probably should have prefaced this thread in saying that I have no desire to move Dunn anywhere but 1st base for the cincinnati reds. I think Denorfia in LF and Dunn at 1B improves our OF range and I'm ot that impressed with Hattey at 1st that i think dunn is that much of a downgrade. I've always been a supporter of not trading away a cornerstone like Dunn, however it looks like either Kearns or Dunn are going to go so I was throwing out this idea bc its something a lot of people have talked about (that being the Reds aquiring Willis) and I thought this deal made sense for the sides.

As for the Yankees, would they deal Hughes for Dunn? In my opinion yes, the Boss is very short sighted and he wants to win now. THey have rarely been reluctant to deal their top prospects in the past so why not now. Taking out that Dunn would probably hate NY, Dunn could be a move more the future for them as well... Sheffield is getting close to retirement age, Bernie is going to retire. He could be a clog for awhile for them...

The yankees have said they won't trade Hughes or Tabada. I would push that to the n'th degree as they are the organizations only two big time prospects.

I look at the Yankees as a trade partner for their ability to eat big contracts. Eric Milton, out of GAB and in Yankee Stadium, could maybe help that staff. They get Milton, send a nothing prospect and a pile O cash our way and things look up for both teams.

If Kriv can't pull that one off(it would be a tough sale) how about this for a big trade? We send Arroyo, Kearns and Milton(entire contract) to NYY for Cano, Hughes and Tabda.

I know it screws us for '06 and Hughes/Tabada aren't ML ready but consider this. You now put Cano at 2B, Phillips to SS and trade FeLo for some more pitching. You have the Milton payflex to rebuild the pen with and two more stud prospects in our farm system.

Obviously a lot depends on what you get back for FeLo and if you think Arroyo can keep up his first half numbers(I don't). So to me it would look like this in '07:

FeLo turns into a #3 starter and a good prospect
    Milton turns into a legit '07 pen with the payflex
    Arroyo/AK turn into Cano and two great looking prospects plus sweeten the deal enough to unload Milton's money.

It would hurt in '06 but we'd be fine as soon as '07, probably even better for it depending on how Kriv spent the Milton money and who he got in return for FeLo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, be VERY wary of Yankees prospects. Especially if they're willing to trade them. Just ask Brandon Claussen, Brian Reith, Ed Yarnall, Randy Keisler, Charlie Manning, Drew Henson, D'Angelo Jimenez, and Jackson Melian. And that's just the Reds.

And I'm not interested in trading Arroyo for minor leaguers. Arroyo (at least so far) is what we can only hope any minor leaguer can one day turn into- a servicable ace signed on the cheap.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?