I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by Chip R

Gee, I hope they aren't dead. Right, creek? :evilgrin:
    You mean like this joke?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Ack! I just checked in and I find I'm 'missing in action'! Thanks for the thoughts Phil!

Actually, it's just been an unbelieveably busy 3-4 weeks with traveling to Napa for a fair, Monterey for the historic auto races at Laguna Seca, the women's tennis tourney at Stanford and a food festival at Menlo Park.

I've really got to get a laptop....I miss this board tremendously when I'm gone. I get more good info/opinions/dialog here in one day than a month of watching Baseball Tonight.

I also hope that Stormy and Team Clark return. I don't always agree with Team Clark but I do read his posts with interest.

And, for the record, I never 'dumped' on either one of them for the supposed Marlins deal----after all, when would I have time!

Rem

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar
    Good to hear from you rem. One less family member to worry about.

So Phil, how's Falcon's football this year? I see one publication picked them to win their division of the MAC!

Rem

Frontier League
    I just heard Team Clark (pretty sure it was him) on WLW on Andy Fuhrman's show. How about that!! He was on with Sabo.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Too funny, woy.

Yeah, Phil's right. RS left a hole (in the Zone) big enough to drive Rosie O through.

re: Storm and TC

I gave my critique of the wild trade rumors in that thread. I certainly didn't mean to upset anyone or contribute to their absence from the board. Redstorm knows me from when I was "Ed Armbrister", and I have always enjoyed his insight and "feel for the game", beyond but incorporporating the emperical evidence of statistics. It reminds me of my own spin, though he is more concise and eloquent...

... I recall a time when Storm and myself were two of a handful of Dmitri Young supporters in this neighborhood, for what that is worth...

He is one of my favorite posters, just like many of you. But I felt that particular post was sensationalist. I did not question the veracity of it because I trust Redstorm as an honest and exceptionally thoughtful poster who has "connections" and would not manufacture information. As a die hard fan of the Reds, I desperately wanted the deal he spoke of to come to fruition. And, I am disappointed it did not. The tone was that it was next to certain to take place... JUST LIKE THE TRASH PETER GAMMONS THROWS TO THE CURB EVERY NIGHT ON BASEBALL TONIGHT FOR EVERYONE TO RUMAGE THROUGH.

Redstorm mentioned me more than once in his defenses of the posts regarding a deal with the Marlins, so I do not think I am paranoid or burdened with self-importance to think that I am part of the "problem" that is keeping him away from Redszone now. That bothers me to no end, because in no way did I intend to impugn him or be agressive with my criticism. It was more advice to a friend, in my mind. My father taught me to be discreet with all knowledge and to disperse it with wisdom. In retrospect, maybe I should have used private messaging to share my input with him.

Team Clark I do not know nearly as well, but respect his views as a journalist and a guy who simply knows the players.

But, I share the sentiments of all of you in wishing that these two great Reds fans would re-join us and see this season through. The absence of these men diminishes Redszone signifigantly.

I remember Ed Armbrister! I never knew that was you! I actually wondered why he never came to this board. I thought he was alright.

Originally posted by Frontier League
    I just heard Team Clark (pretty sure it was him) on WLW on Andy Fuhrman's show. How about that!! He was on with Sabo.
    How about that!

I really miss them both. Team Clark provided many "insider" insights, and his apparent departure leaves a void at RedsZone.
    As for Reds Storm, he was my favorite poster, period. Stormy and I are both graduates of Duke Law School, him recently, me 23 years ago. I generally held my own in law school, but there were a few students who were on a higher intellectual plane than me-Stormy is on that same plane, sometimes winging away to a higher altitude than my own biplane of a mind will go. I always enjoyed his extensive analysis of the Reds. He will be a fine lawyer, but I really rather hope he goes into writing in general and sports journalism in particular-we already have enough lawyers in this country.
    I miss them both and hope that they return.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Originally posted by Frontier League
    I didn't hear the show, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit. TC has a new job as 3B coach (I think) for the new local Frontier league team Sabo is coaching. He was thrilled about it last time I talked to him, but he also has about 1000 things on his plate. Something had to give in his life and I think it was Redszone.

He enjoyed posting here and talking baseball and completely understood all the critisism he took on this board. But, I can't help but think (WARNING WARNING personal opinion here WARNING WARNING) that he would have tried to stick around if he didn't have to deal with so much crap every time he posted. He probably got hundreds of PMs in addition to all the stuff on the board. So I don't blame him a bit.

RS, I didn't know, but echo those on the board who have said his not posting is a HUGE loss for us.

I remember Ed Armbrister too!! One day ther was a discussion of something like being a team player or something like that and somebody (I don't remember who, no offense if they're still here) ask you if you'd ever "encountered anything like that in your playing days......Ed" ?, under the impression that you really are Armbrister (and for all I know you are, heck I used to post as Dan Billardello). Anyway, later that day I was having dinner with my girlfriend here in Chicago, who knows nothing of Reds baseball or this board, and I started thinking about this episode and couldn't stop laughing. I didn't know how to explain it to my girlfriend who, in turn, thought I was laughing at her or hiding something or God knows what (this wasn't the greatest relationship ever) and so she got mad which made it that much funnier.

OK... thanks for letting me share that I'll go take my medicine and try to avoid these spells in the future.

Mario

All dyslexics must untie!
    "I don't know about anyone else... but I miss my east coast compadre M2"

Yeah, I think about him every time I hear how great Gary "butt dart" Sheffield and the ATL are doing

Then there's the "Rickey Henderson makes the playoffs with a new team every year" take

(My money's on David "perennial" Justice and those boys in yellow/green. If ANA and Oakland can somehow squeeze Seattle out of the division/WC chase this year, just imagine the ensuing NW depression)

Come back soon and face the music, M2
    Last edited by gm; 08-22-2002 at 03:55 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Mario:

I don't know if you are aware of this but I saw a note in the paper here that said a new Department Store opened in Chicago. I forget the name but it's a place where women go to shop for husbands.

It's a 5 story building with only two rules: #1. If you enter a floor that's the only floor you can shop. #2. If you pass a floor on the way up you can't go back later. The only time you can go to lower floors is to depart the building.

Anyway, there were two single women that decided to go 'husband shopping' at the new store. When they entered the building, the sign on the first floor said: 'Has a job, likes kids'. "Well, that's not bad", said one woman to the other, "but I wonder what else they have available. Let's go up a floor"

So, the two women proceeded to the second floor where the sign said 'Has a good job, loves kids, is good-looking'. "Hmmm, said one of the women, let's see what's on the next floor." So, off they went.

On the third floor the sign said, 'Has a great job, loves kids, is very handsome and helps with the housework.' "Wow!" said one of the women, "that's a pretty good prospect!" "Yeah," said the other woman "but if we can get this on the third floor think of what must be on the fourth floor!" So, up they went.

When they arrived at the fourth floor the sign said 'Has a fantastic job, loves kids, is extreamly handsome, helps with the housework and is very romantic.' "Yikes!", said one of the women, "if this is only the fourth floor, I've just got to see what's available on the fifth floor!" So, once again, they assended upward.

Upon their arrival on the fifth and final floor the sign read, 'This floor exists to demonstrate that women are never satisfied. Good-bye and have a nice life.'

Rem

Turn Off Ads?