Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My Ebay account was hacked!

My Ebay account was hacked!

I hadn't bought anything on Ebay since mid April. Tonight I logged in to look for some CDs and found that my password didn't work. After changing my password, I log in and find that my account had been suspended. After some searching, I discover that someone bought $50,573 worth of cell phones and had them shipped to Nigeria. The person then defaulted on all of the payments. I bet Creek is probably investigating me for terrorist activity as we speak.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My Ebay account was hacked!

Have you contacted Ebay on this and let them know what has happened?

I've always felt Ebay should have a tighter and more rigid security system for really large purchases.... especially those going overseas.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

That really sucks. My dad is retired and spends a fair amount of time Ebaying and selling things. His account has been hacked several times and people have tried using his name to sell things, usually large that cost a ton to list(i.e. a motorcycle once).

Just contact Ebay about the problem and they are usually very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Have you contacted Ebay on this and let them know what has happened?

I've always felt Ebay should have a tighter and more rigid security system for really large purchases.... especially those going overseas.
    Yes, they figured out that something was up before I did, that's why they suspended the account. They did a good job of helping me get everything recovered and of protecting my financial information.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

That stinks Sava...glad ebay is helping you out though.
    Go Gators!

Ouch. As a frequent eBay user, I will have to keep a look out for this.
    UNfortunately, the eBay phishing schemes are getting more and more complicated. I came close to falling for one recently - it was an email query asking why I had not made a payment. Ironically, I had recently paid for an item I won a week earlier. I was about to click on the link in the email address, when I noticed the domain name was not an eBay domain.
    Since all such (legitimate) messages automatically appear on the MyeBay page, i simply go that route.

Hopefully, this did not mess up your ranking, sava. But it sounds like it could have ended up much worse than it did.

Firefox 2.0 (now in beta) has built in anti-phishing controls. The final version is due out in December, but the Beta is available now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I'm surprised that ebay did not contact you about this Sava; TM had a problem once too and they notified her right away because it was out of the norm. Ebay is very very good at sorting things out.

All legitimate ebay emails are posted on your MyEbay page in addition to being sent to your specified email address. Never open links within your email messages without first checking to see if the email also exists on MyEbay. Forward the bogus email to ebay (instructions for handling questional email are given on ebay) so they can follow up.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?