Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three moves I'd explore if I were the Reds GM to win now.

Three moves I'd explore if I were the Reds GM to win now.

Pick 3 moves, designed to help the Reds win now. No stocking for the future. Assume ownership want to make a run this year.

1. Eric Milton + 2M this year, and 2M next year for Jon Rauch. JimBo will ask for Dunn of course, but Milton and Cash could do the trick.
    2. Phil Dumatrait/Justin Germano and Calvin Medlock for Scott Williamson. Cubs are done and the pitching injuries are mounting in Wrigleyville.
    3. Some combination of EE, Kearns, Cueto, Pelland, Olmedo for Willis. Offer the whole package if you can get Cabrerra too.
    These deals help all teams involved. Now you are the GM.

What are your three deals?
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Three moves I'd explore if I were the Reds GM to win now.

I would want no part of Scott Williamson.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I would want no part of Scott Williamson.
    Certainly not for any prospect who has a chance of helping the Reds, much less two prospects.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

If I go to the Cubs I would ask for Wuertz.

No way the Nats trade Rauch for Milton even if the Reds picked up all of the Milton $$. Rauch is simply the better pitcher as this point and it really isn't close.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I see the point of the thread has been missed. These are three moves I make. Now you make three moves.

And Germano isn't going to help the Reds unless it involves a trade.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Jon Rauch I am very interested in, dunno if the Nats would want Milton, though. They'll be in rebuilding mode very shortly. Then again, it's JimBo--who knows?

Scott Williamson I'd be fine with, but I don't think we'd need to offer two prospects to get him. Offer Germano for him and see if the Cubbies bite.

I'm not as concerned about getting Willis, but I wouldn't turn him away, either. If the Reds could obtain him without giving away the farm, then fine.

As far as other pitchers I would go after, I think I'd be inquiring about Sabathia or, to not aim as high, Cliff Lee from Cleveland. Someone mentioned Elmer Dessens from K.C. could be had for not much, and I agree. Also, the Cubbies have some BP arms that could certainly help the reds, I'd be exploring those opportunities as well.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Agreed on Wuertz. More upside and probably cheaper than Williamson... although maybe not. The way Wuertz has been jerked up and down between AAA and the majors suggests he comes fairly inexpensively.

Although I doubt the classic-scouting Cubs would be interested in Germano or Medlock, frankly. They might like Dumatrait. If we offered Pelland I bet we could get Williamson or Wuertz fairly easily (not suggesting we actually do that).

I suggested the Reds go get Rauch when he fell out of favor with the ChiSox in the summer of 2004. He would be a nice addition but it is hard to see how the Reds/Nats fit as trading partners.

On the original thought I think at a minimum the Reds needs to add 1 decent starter and reliever. There are a lot of ways to potentially go about it but in the end you need to find a dance partner that isn't too demanding.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I suggested the Reds go get Rauch when he fell out of favor with the ChiSox in the summer of 2004. He would be a nice addition but it is hard to see how the Reds/Nats fit as trading partners.

On the original thought I think at a minimum the Reds needs to add 1 decent starter and reliever. There are a lot of ways to potentially go about it but in the end you need to find a dance partner that isn't too demanding.
    The Nats need a dependable shortstop. Desperately. So sending Lopez their way is a possibility. Problem is, aside from Rauch, the Nats don't have much that the Reds would want or that the Nats would be willing to trade.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Reds trade Felipe Lopez, Eric Milton, Justin Germano, and Joey Votto to Baltimore.

Baltimore sends Miguel Tejada, Daniel Cabrera, and Chris Britton to Cincinnati.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Reds trade Felipe Lopez, Eric Milton, Justin Germano, and Joey Votto to Baltimore.

Baltimore sends Miguel Tejada, Daniel Cabrera, and Chris Britton to Cincinnati.
    Tejada is a downgrade defensively at SS from Lopez. Once he was decent, but no more. I certainly don't give up Votto for him, even to win now.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Tejada is a downgrade defensively at SS from Lopez. Once he was decent, but no more. I certainly don't give up Votto for him, even to win now.
    Nobody starting at SS in the majors is a defensive downgrade from Lopez IMO.

I haven't seen Tejada play this year but judging it based on his stats this year vs. his career stats they appear to be very similar. Plus they are better than Lopez'.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I keep hearing he's not got the range he used to, plus he's a supposed cancer in their clubhouse. Not sure if he's worth the effort.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I keep hearing he's not got the range he used to, plus he's a supposed cancer in their clubhouse. Not sure if he's worth the effort.
    Interesting, I had never heard that. Just last year they were touting him as Captain Rah Rah.

Maybe he doesn't like to lose.

If he's lost range it's not really showing up in the stats yet. Either way, Lopez has no range period and that has been verified by both statistics and observation.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Yeah, but that can be rectified by switching him and BP. Lopez would have plus range at 2B, and Phillips is a freak.

Has a lot to do with rumors about his supplement use i think. Mostly I bet he just wants out. Plus his contract isn't worth his production. at least IMO.
    Last edited by TRF; 07-13-2006 at 01:09 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?