Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RUMOR - FIFA to give 2010 World Cup to US?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

RUMOR - FIFA to give 2010 World Cup to US?

Talk about a big time contingency plan. But holy cow - that's a huge turn of events at this juncture. The US may be the only non-Europe nation that could pull that off in four years (Except for maybe Japan-Korea again but FIFA probably doesn't want to go down that road twice)

http://football.guardian.co.uk/world...818166,00.html

Doubt over South Africa 2010

Luke Harding in Berlin
    Wednesday July 12, 2006
    The Guardian

Fifa executives have voiced "serious" doubts about whether South Africa will be able to host the next World Cup in 2010 and have discussed a radical contingency plan that would see the United States stage the tournament instead, it was reported in Germany yesterday.

According to the German sports news agency SID, Fifa officials have privately raised worries over South Africa's continuing failure to prepare for the tournament and have also discussed the possibility of staging the tournament again in Germany.

Fifa's 24-member executive committee gathered in Berlin over the weekend to watch the World Cup final and, according to the agency, delegates meeting in the luxurious Hotel Adlon just opposite the Brandenburg Gate spent much of the weekend deep in conversation over what to do if South Africa fell further behind with its World Cup preparations. There are long-standing doubts about whether stadiums can be built and modernised in time but there are even more serious concerns about South Africa's transport infrastructure and whether it will be able to cope with the tens of thousands of fans travelling between venues.

Yesterday Fifa insisted that the tournament would go ahead in South Africa as planned. "The World Cup in Germany was wonderful. But the next one will take place in South Africa," its spokesman Markus Siegler insisted.

Fifa officials have indicated that no final decision is likely to be taken until after the president Sepp Blatter stands for re-election next May. Blatter, a big supporter of South Africa's ultimately successful bid, needs the votes from African delegates to ensure his re-election in the ballot next year in Zurich.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RUMOR - FIFA to give 2010 World Cup to US?

FIFA knows how bad they want this momentum to continue from the United States and it's new found success. Wouldn't be a bad idea in the least.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

There is some serious rand (South African money Unit) to be found and had to get stadiums up to snuff.

Meanwhile, there are about 30 NFL stadiums that are vacant from January to August. All are wide enough for soccer specific.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

There's a big problem beyond the stadiums. Can South Africa accommodate hundreds of thousands of tourists? It really doesn't have the hotels, police, public services or widespread quality of life to support that kind of influx.

I know FIFA awarded South Africa the World Cup partially in the hopes that it would spur some positive change in the nation, but the entire continent of Africa is teetering on the brink of chaos. Poverty, disease and violence is running rampant in South Africa and a soccer tournament isn't likely to stave off a devolving situation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    There's a big problem beyond the stadiums. Can South Africa accommodate hundreds of thousands of tourists?
    SA hosted the rugby World Cup in 1995, so there is some precedent.

With that said, if I had to guess what will happen, I'd say if SA can't get it's bid together within the next 18 months, FIFA will move the tournament to Australia. Australia is a sports-mad culture developing a real rabid interest in the game, unlike the US, where I still don't see it getting a real foothold in the national sporting consciousness. Due to rugby and AFL, they have the stadia and infrastructure in place, as well as a burgeoning tourist industry. Also, I would much prefer to spend a couple weeks in Australia in 2010 than South Africa, but that's just me.

The only chance of the US getting the 2010 WC, in my view, will be if the bid falls apart so close to the time that we're the only viable option. I would think FIFA would prefer, if practicable, to move the tournament to a more established footballing nation like Argentina or Brazil, or an emerging market like Australia rather than a recent host like the US.
    Last edited by dsmith421; 07-13-2006 at 02:16 PM.

Are we sending FIFA Kearns in return?

Can he flop?

They may want Edmonds
    Go Gators!

Wouldn't be too taken by this, the same paper two weeks ago reported a rumour that the 2010 World Cup was going to Australia for the same reason. Actually change the United States for Australia and you would have the same article.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It probably will have the most appeal for the TV broadcasters to play it in the same time zones as Europe, since that's where the bulk of the teams (and thus viewers) will hail from. Surely a European nation would be a better choice for that reason if an alternate is needed at the eleventh hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    It probably will have the most appeal for the TV broadcasters to play it in the same time zones as Europe, since that's where the bulk of the teams (and thus viewers) will hail from. Surely a European nation would be a better choice for that reason if an alternate is needed at the eleventh hour.
    They like to only do Europe every other Cup. 2010 was planned as a non-Euro event.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

This was FIFA's "shot across the bow" to shake up S. Africa and get them moving forward a little quicker. I think the Olympic Committee did the same thing to Athens at one point.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    They like to only do Europe every other Cup. 2010 was planned as a non-Euro event.
    A plan to broaden the international appeal of a sport that actually makes sense! MLB oughta go and hire it some of them FIFA people with their fancy thinkin'.
    /r/reds

If the States gets the World Cup maybe the World Series could be held over here

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK
    If the States gets the World Cup maybe the World Series could be held over here
    No way. But we'll let you have the NBA Finals.

Turn Off Ads?