Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Keys to success in 2nd half

Keys to success in 2nd half

What current Reds player is the key to success for the remainder of the year?

Yes, I know it's a team sport. And I pray to the lord above that we get more pitching help, but since we don't know who they might be it's difficult to speculate.

So....which current player is the key to success in the 2nd half? More importantly, what does he have to do/improve for that success to happen?

For example, someone might feel that Jr. has to stay healthy and increase his offensive production. Others might feel it comes down to Milton (assuming he is here) not imploding again. Still others might say that Lopez getting out of his offensive slump would be the key improvement we need.

Just some examples....what do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keys to success in 2nd half

I'm picking 4: Harrang, Arroyo, Ramirez and Milton.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Besides the improvement by the bullpen, Edwin needs to play on a REGULAR basis and Paul Wilson coming back could be a big factor.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    Besides the improvement by the bullpen, Edwin needs to play on a REGULAR basis and Paul Wilson coming back could be a big factor.
    I agree.

I've been waiting for Paul Wilson to get back into the starting rotation for a long time. There are many young guys in this rotation, and I think a GOOD veteran pitcher could even that out.

I don't think counting on Paul Wilson is such a great thing. I really don't see how he can help us this year. Even if he does come back the earliest he could get back I'd guess would be near September. The last I heard he was throwing in the low 80s. I hate to say it but Wilson may have pitched his last game in the majors. Just my opinion though.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    I don't think counting on Paul Wilson is such a great thing. I really don't see how he can help us this year. Even if he does come back the earliest he could get back I'd guess would be near September. The last I heard he was throwing in the low 80s. I hate to say it but Wilson may have pitched his last game in the majors. Just my opinion though.
    Paul Wilson has never been known for high velocity. Most of his success was based along pitch location and control.

He has a ways to go, but even if he tops at 89-90, that's about where he was at before being injured anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    I don't think counting on Paul Wilson is such a great thing.
    It's not. if you're banking on the Reds continuing their success because of the return of Paul Wilson, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dicken
    Paul Wilson has never been known for high velocity. Most of his success was based along pitch location and control.

He has a ways to go, but even if he tops at 89-90, that's about where he was at before being injured anyway.
    That was my point I don't think he's near that. The last time he pitched against live hitters was in April against AAers and got rocked. He threw a simulated game at the end of last month and they said his velocity was slightly better but that he still needed to work on arm strength. And he had a horrible year last season (mostly injured), and in the years before 04 he wasn't very good.

Edit: He threw on July 3rd also, but still my main point is that he is still a long way off, and even healthy how much will he help us? I like maybe using him out of the pen if he's ever healthy.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 07-13-2006 at 01:06 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Wow I would think that you would have too consider the bullpen but where to start? However I am going to include only 2 players. The 1st is Brandon Claussen he is imperative to our cause. If he is consistantly keeping us in ballgames then we have 5 guys all of which have the ability to keep us in games assuming the early season top of the lineup can get it together. Which is why the 2nd guy is Griffey, I think that Dunn being put into a position where he can help us (no. 2 hole) has helped him and he is slowly improving. Now all we need is for Jr. to get hot at least through this month to give us a shot that gets us to the deadline where we can add a pivotal piece or 2, nothing huge (unless we can get it cheaply).

One other note is that perhaps Larue could improve his stock in the next week or 2 so we can move him (assuming Ross comes back healthy) for a pivotal piece.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm watching Claussen, Belisle and Eddie (the pitcher). For Claussen to rekindle his success in the second half last year would be huge. Belisle had spurts last year of being a reliable option late in the game. If I remember right he had a very low ERA in July and August. If he can do that again it strengthens the pen without having to make another trade. Guardado might have the biggest impact of all if he can go back to being a solid closer. I'm assuming the offense will be there. No major improvement needed - just stay healthy.

1. trade for 2 relievers
    2. Everyday Eddie pitches solid
    3. Play Edwin
    4. get decent efforts from Milton and Claussen
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?