Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Kearns and Lopez are traded

Re: Kearns and Lopez are traded

Was there any cash involved in this deal? I haven't heard mention of it.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe I'm just being a contrarian, but I kind of like it. Bray is a 23-year-old former #1 pick with nasty stuff; he's worth FeLo by himself, IMHO. He could be the pitcher we thought Wagner was going to be. Wagner for Thompson seems to be a wash, so you've got Kearns for Majeski and Harris. That ain't so bad.

Clayton? Stop stressing about him. In the grand scheme of things he's a dragonfly; he'll flutter across the Reds landscape for a brief period and then be gone.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

This is why I said the Reds need to sale, sale, sale. They would have gotten better prospects and talent if they traded to teams that are in the race, instead they over pay avg. players to try and fix holes and try to win this year. Wayne should of and could of done alot better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by danforsman
    Clayton/Lopez is a near wash
    But it's not. It's not at all.

And it's not that Majewski and Bray can't help this team. No one's saying they can't. The question is, was the talent the Reds gave up equal to the talent they received? The answer to that is an unequivocal no.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Majewski, Bray and Coffey give us 3 good young set up men who throw hard. I'll give this deal that much.

As far as Harris goes we need more utility IF like Custer needed more indians. If Kriv sprinkles some Ross/Phillips/Arroyo dust and he turns into something then fine.

Thompson is getiing killed in A ball so I fail to see any worth there and Clayton, no more need said.

All in all, I thought AK and FeLo would fetch more. Thats my only heartburn with this deal. I did however want both gone in a big way.

Alright... when you get beyond that we didn't get the value of what we thought our players were worth... this trade isn't that bad (in other words, strictly looking at what we got back and not what we gave up to get it)

The line up looks like
    RF Freel/Denorfia
    2B Phillips
    CF Griffey
    LF Dunn
    3B Encarnacion
    1B Hatteburg
    C Ross/Larue/Valentin
    SS Clayton

that line up does not have that much less pop. In my world, i'm thinking Clayton is going to play SS 4 to 5 days a week and we'll get freel denorfia and phillips in the same line up with Phillips at SS freel at 2B and Deno in RF. THe only way that happens is if Deno forces Jerry to play him every day.

The big key is the pen is much better

CP Easy E
    Set up
    Bray
    Maj
    Middle relief
    Coffey
    Merker
    Weathers or Yan my bet is one of those 2 are DFA'd or Beslile is sent down.
    long relief
    Beslile

That's SIGNFICANTLY better. Now a guy who was our best reliever is our 3rd to 4th option.

I am by no means excited about this trade but I think it does make us a better TEAM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2844
    Seriously ... With 28 no longer here, how can I change my username?
    boss, or GIK can do that for you I believe

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    I have no prob with the Majic Man and Bray, but not at this expense. I seriously almost left work. Kriv just really killed his reputation. There is NO way this trade works out. They didn't even get a top prospect. Absolutely horrible.
    Disagree. This trade doesnt look on paper like it will benefit the Nats as much as it is being played.

Keep in mind both Kearns and Lopez are going to RFK. Kearns is going from All-Star potential to Brady Clark. Felipe Lopez might have the most impact in that park, but I wouldnt count on him ever hitting 20+ HR a season if he stays there.

Could the Reds have done better? Definitely. But I think many people on this board have seriously overrated Kearns and Lopez.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    Not to sound all melodramatic, but this trade has the potential to be on par with the Frank Robinson deal as far as disasters go.

Trading two young guys who could be cornerstones for the next 7-8 years in order to add two bullpen arms and a utility infielder is not a deal I want to see my team make.

Lopez and Kearns would never have been here for seven years. Lopez could walk after this year - and at 6 million+ - he would have priced himself out of Cincinnati.

You never know if he would regress back to 2004. In fact, there were members of this board crying over Lopez's regression. Plus, with Scott Boras on the hill, it would have made it more likely that Lopez was gone.

Kearns still has Ray King nightmares, IMO. I feel Dunn will be affected the most with the loss of his wingman.

Something else is brewing - but I am not sure what.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I'd say it should never be ignored, a pourous infield affects the game on a zillion levels, even if this year the staff (starters) are FB oriented.
    So you want to argue that the defense/offense runs created/allowed of Lopez/Phillips isn't better than Philllips/Clayton or Phillips/Harris (if he ever learns how to hit)?

Not much use stopping runs if you aren't scoring any yourself.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz
    Clayton? Stop stressing about him. In the grand scheme of things he's a dragonfly; he'll flutter across the Reds landscape for a brief period and then be gone.
    That's part of the point. Who will replace him? Phillips? Then who plays second in the future?

You had Encarnacion, Lopez and Phillips as your infield set for the next 5-6 years and you blow it all up just so you can get a couple bullpen guys.

I ask again. Isn't Lopez in his walk year? Every is talking like he was going to be part of the team for years to come, but when/if he walks at the end of the year will this deal really be that great for those that think that the Nats just ripped the Reds off?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I am willing to give Krivsky time before I declare this a bad deal.

In giving up Lopez/Kearns we get rid of two guys who are arbitration eligible. In Lopez, we lose a Boras client who was losing value quickly. Kearns has been healthy this year, but who knows? Kearns is the one I hate to give up...but

We now get to see what Denoforia can do. I'm going to guess he and Freel will split time in RF and add some zing to the lineup. That's not a bad thing.

I just happened to see both Bray and the Majic man pitch on Sunday at RFK. Bray was excellent. Majic got lit up, but I don't think he is a bad pitcher.

All in all, the Reds bullpen has been improved. Will it be enough to win this year--we don't know. And if it doesn't work, the Reds have plenty of salary room to play with in bringing in others in '07 (the year of Homer).
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Could the Reds have done better? Definitely. But I think many people on this board have seriously overrated Kearns and Lopez.
    I don't really care how much--or little--it ends up benefitting the Nats. i think the consensus is if Reds management hadn't felt backed into a corner to pull some deals to stay in the race this year, and instead had decided to be sellers at the trade deadline, they could have gotten a greater return than what they did.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I ask again. Isn't Lopez in his walk year? Every is talking like he was going to be part of the team for years to come, but when/if he walks at the end of teh year will this deal really be that grate for those that think that the Nats just ripped the Reds off?
    Lopez was arbitration eligible for the first time this past offseason. Still plenty of time to go.

Turn Off Ads?