Reds acquire five players fom Nationals
    Reds Hall of Fame unveils 2006 plaques
    Bullpen slows Reds in first half
    Reds midterm report
    Arroyo sees unexpected All-Star action
    More Reds Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page
    CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today acquired from the Washington Nationals RHP Gary Majewski, LHP Bill Bray, SS Royce Clayton, IF Brendan Harris and RHP Daryl Thompson in exchange for OF Austin Kearns, SS Felipe Lopez and RHP Ryan Wagner.
    Majewski, Clayton and Bray are expected to report to Cincinnati in time for tomorrow's 7:10 p.m. game against the Colorado Rockies. Corresponding roster moves will be announced when they arrive. Harris will report to Class AAA Louisville and Thompson to Sarasota in the Gulf Coast League.

To fill the roster spots of Kearns and Lopez for tonight's game, the Reds have recalled from Louisville OF Chris Denorfia and IF William Bergolla.

Majewski, 26, participated in the World Baseball Classic as a member of Team USA. He has posted a 3.27 ERA with 2 saves in 141 career relief appearances for the Montreal Expos and Nationals. Last season for Washington, Majewski recorded a 2.93 ERA while leading the pitching staff with 79 appearances, a franchise record for a rookie. During the first half of this season he went 3-2 with a 3.58 ERA and begins the second half ranked T5th among all Major League pitchers with 46 games pitched.

Bray, 23, was selected by the Expos with the 13th pick overall of the first round of the 2004 first-year player draft and entered this season already ranked as one of the best prospects in Washington's minor league system. He made his Major League debut this season and has posted a 3.91 ERA in 19 relief appearances. Also this season Bray went 4-1 with a 3.98 ERA and 5 saves in 21 relief appearances at Class AAA New Orleans.

Clayton, a National League All-Star in 1997, entered the 2006 season ranked second among active shortstops in games, starts, innings, total chances, putouts, assists and double plays. In each of those categories he trailed only 10-time Gold Glove Award winner Omar Vizquel. His career fielding percentage of .974 fielding percentage entering this year ranked seventh among all Major League shortstops.

In his career Clayton has a .259 batting average and 223 stolen bases in 1,981 games for the Giants, Cardinals, Rangers, White Sox, Brewers, Rockies, Diamondbacks and Nationals. He has appeared in 13 post-season games. This season for the Nats, Clayton is hitting .269 with 22 doubles and 8 stolen bases in 87 appearances.

Harris, 25, originally was selected by the Chicago White Sox in the fifth round of the 2001 first-year player draft and was sent to the Nationals on July 31, 2004 as part of a 4-team deadline deal that also sent SS Nomar Garciaparra to the Cubs and SS Orlando Cabrera to the Red Sox. This season, he appeared in 17 games for the Nationals and hit .283 with 5 HR and 32 RBI in 59 games for New Orleans.

Thompson, 20, was selected by the Expos in the eighth round of the 2003 first-year player draft and entered this season ranked as Washington's 10th-best minor league prospect. This season for Vermont in the Class A New York-Penn League he went 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA in 4 starts.

Kearns, 26, this season for the Reds hit .274 with 16 HR and 50 RBI in 87 appearances.

Lopez, 26, during the season's first half hit .268 with 9 HR and 30 RBI in 85 games.

Wagner, 23, has spent the entire season in the minor leagues at Louisville, where he has posted a 6.34 ERA in 35 relief appearances.

Denorfia last night played for the International League in the Triple-A All-Star Game in Toledo and went 1-for-3 with 2 runs scored. This season he hit .347 with 14 stolen bases in 70 games for Louisville and has appeared in 7 games during 2 stints with the Reds (4/3-4/8, 5/4-5/10). He was the organization's Minor League Player of the Month for April. Bergolla is hitting .250 with 7 steals in 73 games for the Bats.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kearns and Lopez are traded

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/bas...layer.cgi?3309

Harris

ASSETS: Harris is an athletic infielder, able to play second, third or short quite well. At the plate, he hits line drives consistently with some pop.
    FLAWS: At times, he can be too intense and he could stand to walk more often.
    CAREER POTENTIAL: If he catches a break, a solid everyday infielder, better at second than third.

Gary Majewski

ASSETS: A tough competitor, Majewski can hit the mid-90s with his fastball and throws in a tough slider. Pitches well on little or no rest.
    FLAWS: Gets in trouble when his pitch count gets into the upper teens.
    CAREER POTENTIAL: Solid setup man.

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/bas...layer.cgi?1924

Bill Bray

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/bas...layer.cgi?4955

I'm not happy. And those who know my history with trades and my reaction to those trades...that's saying something.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I trust Wayne.

I am probably the only one at this point.

This team was sinking fast, and something needed to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was

Here's a annoucment on the Nationals.com website.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Bill Bray is a Reliever - put up solid numbers this year in AAA

Thompson has put up decent numbers in the Sally League

At first glance this is a kick to the stomach, for Lopez and Kearns the return doesn't seem that high, but we'll wait a bit before making a huge judgement.

Here is hoping that Thompson turns into Liriano Part II
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 07-13-2006 at 04:01 PM.

If we trade Kearns or Lopez by themselves and get this return, we get screwed. Both? This could be as bad any trade in Reds history. Horrific.

Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Krivsky is a fantasy GM. He just moved quality for quantity.

Just because a guy make a flurry of moves, doesn't mean he is better than a guy that makes no moves.

DanO forked out millions for Milton, Ortiz, RA, Weber and Weathers.

Krivsky gave actual talent for crap.

6 of 1....
    Suck it up cupcake.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Lopez should have mega-appeal by himself. Package him with Kearns and I was physhed at the potential return we could get.

Then we get this crap.
    Yeah -- that's my instant reaction.

Traded two top young offensive talents, one with great defense in RF and all we get is this?

This is why I was so sick about the though that the Reds were trying to compete this year -- they overpaid to fix their bullpen. Bullpen pitchers are commodities you buy and sell in the offseason or pick up as an additional arm to get over the hump. You don't go remake your bullpen overnight midseason -- it's too damn expensive.

Welcome to the cost of trying to udno mistakes midseason instead of being SENSIBLE and just accepting that you don't have the horses to run the derby.

Christ. Royce frigging Clayton.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Nationals Get:

OF Austin Kearns: .274 AVG, 16 HR, ,50 RBI, 7 SB
    SS Felipe Lopez: .268 AVG, 9 HR, 30 RBI, 23 SB
    P Ryan Wagner: 0-0 0.00 ERA, 0 IP

Reds Get:

RP Gary Majewski: 3-2 3.58 ERA, 34 K, 55.1 IP
    RP Bill Bray: 1-1 3.91 ERA, 16 K, 23.0 IP
    SS Royce Clayton: .269 AVG, 0 HR, 27 RBI, 8 SB
    IF Brendan Harris: .250 AVG, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 0 SB
    RHP Daryl Thompson: ???
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Someone say something good, please! .... please???
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

We've been robbed
    Go Gators!

Retired

What a horrible trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Lopez should have mega-appeal by himself. Package him with Kearns and I was physhed at the potential return we could get.

Then we get this crap.
    That's exactly what I thought.

I ran through the house and told my brother that the Reds may have just gotten Dontrelle in return, or maybe another great pitcher. Surprise! They get Juan Castro, two relievers with high WHIP's, a utility player, and a crappy prospect.

This organization is a joke.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?