Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Where does the deal rank all time?

Where does the deal rank all time?

Amongst trades the Reds have made in their illustruous history, where does this deal rank in terms of initial impact/buzz?

I'm sure the Seaver deal was bigger, as was the Robinson one, and the Morgan one, but being that I was a casual fan until about 5 years ago, I have to think hard to understand where this one ranks historically for the franchise. Is it top 10? Top 5? Or just another deal?

We've already got a thread where we debate the quality of the trade, but where does it rank impact wise for the Redlegs? Has the franchise ever dealt two starting position players during the season like this?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where does the deal rank all time?

I like the makeup change, it's what DeWitt did in 60-61 off season and he completly remade the teams infield that winter, got younger pitching and traded the teams starting SS and 2nd baseman.

The Seaver trade made everyone think the Reds would win it all.

This one seems to have most wanting to jump down, not up.

It's way too early to conclusively tell.

I can't immediately recall an in-season trade involving two members of the starting lineup.
    Reaction to the Seaver trade was largely positive; the Reds gave up a starting pitcher (Zachry), utility infielder (Flynn) and two minor league outfielders (Henderson and Norman).
    Even though it ended up being a great trade, I can't imagine the 1971 Morgan deal didn't produce far more uproar than this one will. Lee May and Tommy Helms were far bigger names at that time than Kearns and Lopez are, at least in my opinion.
    And while I have no specific memories of the Robinson trade reaction, I can't imagine this deal will overtake that one as the team's all-time worst transaction.
    Last edited by Mainspark; 07-13-2006 at 11:11 PM.

Man Pills

A dealer purchased a copy of Shakespeare's First Folio through Sotheby's today for 5 million dollars.

Depends if Brey becomes a starter. His changeup has shown some good progression and he may have the skills to start and be very successfull. If that happens and the Reds get a lefty starter next year on the cheap..................

Go Gators!

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

[Morgan deal didn't produce far more uproar than this one will. Lee May and Tommy Helms were far bigger names at that time than Kearns and Lopez are, at least in my opinion.
    and even tho' the Reds were coming off the worst year in the 70's [1971]... they had been to the WS the previous year. This Reds team hasn't sniffed the playoffs since 1999.
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 07-13-2006 at 07:10 PM. Reason: quotes
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It addresses a burning need in the bullpen and it jettisons a couple of guys whose underperformance made them spare parts.

If it fixes the bullpen, it should move up on everyone's list.

Turn Off Ads?