Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tweeners: List of 30-something Players on AAA rosters is chock-full of ex-Reds

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The Tweeners: List of 30+ year-old AAA players is chock-full of ex-Reds

Saw this list as a sidebar to an article in the morning paper and was struck by how many former Reds were on this list going back to so many different seasons in the past decade. There are also quite a few former big-leaguers on the list who made a big splash and didn't pan out. I found it to be an interesting trip down memory lane, so I thought I would share it here.

I think I highlighted all of the former Reds (and ex-Red farmhands). Let me know if I missed any.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...s.126ec00.html

Players 30 or older currently on Triple-A rosters:

Albuquerque (Marlins): Brad Clontz, Eddie Gaillard, Matt Blank, J.B. Miadich, Chris Ashby, Tom Wilson, Paul Hoover, Jason Wood, Mike Kinkade, Scott Seabol, Todd Sears, Mark Little.

Buffalo (Indians): Hyang-Nam Choi, Vic Darensbourg, Danny Graves, Einar Diaz, Tim Laker, Lou Merloni.

Charlotte (White Sox): Jeff Farnsworth, Stephen Randolph, Vladimir Nuñez, Matt Skrmetta, Valerio de los Santos, Andrew Lorraine, Pascual Matos, Jorge Velandia, Ernie Young, Bobby Smith, Ruben Rivera.

Colorado Springs (Rockies): Randy Williams, Nate Field, Kaz Matsui.

Columbus (Yankees): Aaron Small, Ramiro Mendoza, Mark Corey, Tommy Phelps, Octavio Dotel, Russ Johnson, Erubiel Durazo, Terrence Long.

Durham (Devil Rays): Jason Childers, Kevin Witt.

Fresno (Giants): Brandon Villafuerte, Jed Hansen, Jose Flores.

Indianapolis (Pirates): Scott Strickland, Britt Reames, Terry Adams, Marty McLeary, C.J. Nitkowski, Nerio Rodriguez, Matt Whiteside, Jason Roach, Paul Chiaffredo, Chris Richard, Chris Truby, Raul Gonzalez.

Iowa (Cubs): Brandon Emanuel, Mark Watson, Kerry Lightenberg, Glendon Rusch, Augie Ojeda.

Las Vegas (Dodgers): Kelly Wunsch, Lance Carter, Giovanni Carrara, Oscar Robles.

Louisville (Reds): Jake Robbins, Chris Michalak, Mike Venafro, Earl Snyder, Andy Abad.

Memphis (Cardinals): Alan Benes, Matt Perisho, Brian Daubach, Junior Spivey, Jason Conti.

Nashville (Brewers): Jared Fernandez, Joe Winkelsas, Mark Johnson, Graham Koonce.

New Orleans (Nationals): Kevin Gryboski, Nelson Figueroa, Alberto Castillo, Brandon Harper, Wiki Gonzalez, Brandon Larson, Anthony Medrano.

Norfolk (Mets): Yusaku Iriki, Jose Offerman, Michael Tucker, Jacob Cruz.

Oklahoma (Rangers): R.A. Dickey, Erasmo Ramirez, Derek Lee, Brian Anderson, Jamie Burke, Adam Hyzdu, Adrian Brown.

Omaha (Royals): David Elder, Joe Nelson, Ed Yarnall, Brian Boehringer, Donovan Osborne, Alejando Prieto, Chris Clapinski, Aaron Guiel, Chad Allen, Kerry Robinson, Mike Coolbaugh.

Ottawa (Orioles): Julio Manon, Tim Kester, Brandon Marsters, Fernando Tatis, Adam Tracy.

Pawtucket (Red Sox): Marc Deschenes, Ken Huckaby, Corky Miller, Trent Durrington, Enrique Wilson.

Portland (Padres): Aquilino Lopez, Jim Brower.

Richmond (Braves): Carlos Almanzar, Wayne Franklin, Jonathan Johnson, Carlos Mendez, Dax Norris, Andy Barkett.

Rochester (Twins): Pete Munro, Chris Heintz, Shawn Wooten, Rondell White.

Round Rock (Astros): Travis Driskill, Roberto Giron, Brandon Puffer, David Lee, Joe McEwing, Cody Ransom, Alan Zinter, Jesse Garcia.

Sacramento (Athletics): Jason Karnuth, Randy Keisler, Raul Casanova, Keith Ginter, Scott McClain, Hiram Bocachica.

Salt Lake City (Angels): Nate Bland, Curtis Pride.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Phillies): Jim Crowell, Dusty Wathan, Juan Sosa, Jim Rushford, Ryan Fleming.

Syracuse (Blue Jays): Mike Mahoney, Kevin Barker, Luis Figueroa, Chad Mottola.

Tacoma (Mariners): Jeff Harris, Scott Atchison.

Toledo (Tigers): Hector Mercado, Lee Gardner, Dustan Mohr.

Tucson (Diamondbacks): Kevin Jarvis, Matt Erickson, Donnie Sadler.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-15-2006 at 03:04 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Tweeners: List of 30-something Players on AAA rosters is chock-full of ex-Reds

Cool list; thanks. If you want to get technical, Giovanni Cararra, Kevin Jarvis and Randy Keisler should be highlighted in red.

And at this point I'd almost be glad to see any of them in a Reds uniform.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Re: The Tweeners: List of 30-something Players on AAA rosters is chock-full of ex-Red

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz
    Cool list; thanks. If you want to get technical, Giovanni Cararra, Kevin Jarvis and Randy Keisler should be highlighted in red.
    Updated the highlighting. Thanks!

Off the schneid

Re: The Tweeners: List of 30-something Players on AAA rosters is chock-full of ex-Reds

Raul Gonzalez spent time both in the minors and the majors in a Reds uniform in 2001 & 2002.
    Not sure if you're limiting the highlighting only to guys who actually appeared in the majors in a Reds uni, but Adam Hyzdu was in the Reds system from '94-'95.

An interesting name on the list was Lance Carter. I recognized his name from a couple years ago and am sorta surprised this guy's in the minors right now. With the desparate need for relief pitching by so many teams, I can't believe a guy who has 170+ MLB appearances with a career ERA of 3.94, WHIP of 1.21, and a 26 save season in 2003 isn't in demand.
    Last edited by TStuck; 07-08-2006 at 02:04 PM.

You can scratch Hector Mercado from the list, the Mud Hens released him today.

I'm having fun with this list. I made up a team of guys who at one point had a bit of success in the bigs or were generally thought to be All That, but now have fallen to this depth. Just off the top of my head:

C- Einar Diaz
    1B- Jose Offerman
    2B- Junior Spivey
    3B- Fernando Tatis
    SS- Kaz Matsui
    LF- Chris Richard
    CF- Terence Long
    RF- Rondell White
    DH- Erubiel Durazo
    SP- Glendon Rusch, Aaron Small, Brian Anderson, Kevin Jarvis, Andy Benes
    CL- Octavio Dotel

Too many other relievers to mention. A few years ago, if you put this lineup on the field you're doing OK.
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 07-08-2006 at 11:20 PM.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

If I'm not mistaken, both Kevin Witt (Durham) and Kerry Robinson (Omaha) spent some brief time in the Reds organizatin.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I just updated the highlighting to include everyone mentioned above as having a Reds connection.

That is a remarkable list, Unassisted. It fascinates me to no end how some guys continually hold on for the love of the game (or for the love of money...but I like to think it is for the love of the game).
    Looking at the name of a guy like Tatis makes me kind of sad. This was a guy who some considered to be on the road to stardom - and had a pretty good season in '99. Now he toils in the minors for his third year, attempting to once again regain that old magic.

Lance Davis, Toledo. Also, where in the world is Reggie Taylor these days?

Mark Watson was a red for like a day back in '03 wasn't he? Before that strange illness in Arizona & we never saw him again

terrance long was at louisville earlier this year. very good work by the way!
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Triple A GUYS WITH SOME SENORITY GET SOME DECENT MONEY TO PLAY BALL.

$50,000+ is not bad......i would take that to keep playing ball. Plus....they can still get the call ups to try and help someone out. That is even better money......along with meal money.

I cannot believe that some pitcher on that list could not be any better than Weathers.....most be frustrating for some of those guys, when they are putting up good numbers and they cannot get called up.

Highlighted Watson and Long.

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    very good work by the way!
    The writer at my local newspaper did the hard work by compiling it. All I did was copy, paste and highlight.

Mark Corey was a 4th round draft pick of the Reds in 1995.
    Matt Skrmetta played for Louisville in 2001.
    Kevin Gryboski was drafted by the Reds in the 16th round in 1994 but signed with the Mariners in 1995 instead.
    Chris Clapinski played a few games for Louisville in 2003.
    Chad Allen was drafted by the Reds in the 38th round in 1993 but signed with the Twins in 1996 instead.
    Brandon Puffer got as high as AA with the Reds from 1998 to 1999.

I'm probably forgetting more.

Turn Off Ads?