Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Analysis and Outlook on Majewski, Bray, Harris and Clayton

Re: Analysis and Outlook on Majewski, Bray, Harris and Clayton

Funny, but when explaining this trade to the spousal unit last night, I made a car analogy as well.

I told her Krivsky paid $2K over MSRP for a Chrysler van that can be had for dealer invoice in the off-season. But he had to have the Chrysler van *now* so he paid the premium price.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    if I understand correctly, then I think that you've made one thought too many. Big parks protect pitchers, but they protect groundball pitchers much less than they protect non-groundball pitchers. Conversely, groundball pitchers are most valuable to teams in little parks.
    I see what you're saying--because he's predominantly been a GB guy, there aren't going to be that many FBs to find the stands anyway.

Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    if I understand correctly, then I think that you've made one thought too many. Big parks protect pitchers, but they protect groundball pitchers much less than they protect non-groundball pitchers. Conversely, groundball pitchers are most valuable to teams in little parks. Majewski is going to a place where he is better suited to impact-- if only his new shortstops weren't octagenerians
    I can only buy this marginally that the move in parks will have so little effect on him that it's not worth glancing at. Of course ground ball pitchers are more valuable in smaller parks, but that doesn't mean we should totally ignore all the fly ball ramifications of moving into the park, even if there's slightly fewer fly balls.

Majewski serves up approximately one fly ball per every inning pitched (172 total fly balls). Serving up home runs is a defense independent action, but can most definitely be a ballpark dependent action.

Over a regular full season of workload predominantly with Washington, Majewski would give up only about four home runs. My concern is if that four turns into a seven or eight due simply to the change in ballparks, and right now I don't see any reason why it couldn't. That's a run prevention issue, and that's critical to examine.

You're right that Majewski's an asset, but if I'm acquiring an asset, I want to know the reasonable performance expectation to be gained from that asset.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 07-18-2006 at 03:45 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Funny, but when explaining this trade to the spousal unit last night, I made a car analogy as well.

I told her Krivsky paid $2K over MSRP for a Chrysler van that can be had for dealer invoice in the off-season. But he had to have the Chrysler van *now* so he paid the premium price.
    "But it's a sweet van with shag carpeting and a strobe light, plus it's got a picture of a unicorn on the side."

I'm growing to loathe that car analogy, although the Chrysler van is probably the best example I've seen.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

How much could Majic's workload have an effect on his K/9 ratio? If he was overworked in Washington but is able to come here and the work load is spread around more, is it possible that with the extra rest we could see some sort of rise in his K/9 and decrease in his BB/9?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    How much could Majic's workload have an effect on his K/9 ratio? If he was overworked in Washington but is able to come here and the work load is spread around more, is it possible that with the extra rest we could see some sort of rise in his K/9 and decrease in his BB/9?
    I'm guessing that's counter to why Krivsky got him. Majewski's optimal use is as a Scott Sullivan type -- 100 innings a year, lot's of rally killing double-plays.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    I'm guessing that's counter to why Krivsky got him. Majewski's optimal use is as a Scott Sullivan type -- 100 innings a year, lot's of rally killing double-plays.
    IMO he's a lot closer to being a John Riedling type than a Scott Sullivan type.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    IMO he's a lot closer to being a John Riedling type than a Scott Sullivan type.
    You might be right. I'd be happier with a higher k-rate. Having said that his rate is respectable for a groundballer and its been going up every year.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Maybe so, maybe not. I don't recall seeing any research that shows if relief pitcher workload effects K rate, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's out there somewhere, perhaps buried in a Baseball Prospectus report somewhere.

A study of Majewski's gamelogs could show a hint for him, but there's likely to be sample size issues ...

Majewski 2005 Gamelogs
    Majewski 2006 Gamelogs

Like Rojo said, though, Majewski will likely be used often down the stretch, especially if we hang around and compete for a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    You might be right. I'd be happier with a higher k-rate. Having said that his rate is respectable for a groundballer and its been going up every year.
    I'm with M2 on him being more of a Riedling type of guy than a Scott Sullivan type of guy. Sullivan's career K/9 rate was 7.59. My opinion of Majewski would be quite a bit different/better if is K/9 rate was over the 7.5 mark.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Small sample sizes duely noted but since the trade:

Majewski 1.2 IP 3 ER
    Bray 2 IP 1 ER
    Denorfia 4/18 1 BB

Clayton 5/11 3 RBI

Not a good start for the 3 guys Kriv is gambling on but Clayton's been better than expected so far. Long way to go so we shall see what happens but I thought this would be the place to maybe keep track of the numbers as we go.

Turn Off Ads?