Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Analysis and Outlook on Majewski, Bray, Harris and Clayton

Re: Analysis and Outlook on Majewski, Bray, Harris and Clayton

Can someone give a report of their actual "stuff"?

Like what speeds they can throw, their best pitches, etc. etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Can someone give a report of their actual "stuff"?

Like what speeds they can throw, their best pitches, etc. etc.?
    Majewski is a sinker/slider pitcher with the fastball coming in 93-94 range. He is an extreme GB pitcher who is stingy in giving up HRs.

Bray has a funky delivery and a good fastball(91-94) with an excellent slider effective against RH and LH pitchers.

They should be an upgrade, just how much remains to be seen
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Bray is only 23?

Wow I didn't know that!

With Majewski only being 26, hopefully they can anchor down the bullpen for years to come.
    If they don't this trade will be looked back on as Bowden performing an act similar to a colonoscopy on Kriv.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I like Bray. His K/9 in the minors indicate he could very well be a future closer. A-minus.

Majewski is midrange talent. Nothing to be excited about. B-minus.

Harris reminds me of Tim Hummel. Hooray. C.

Clayton will pair with Castro to form the prototypical no-offense, all-hype-defense SS combo by which all future old shortstops with no bat and no range will be compared to. F-minus.
    tim hummel, sweet

Me and a friend got talking about this trade on a fourm board.. and this is what went down...

The trade still leaves a void at SS for the Reds. Clayton is a FA at the end of the year and is at the twilight of his career. There isn't much upside to his game, other than having a decent glove. Not GREAT, but decent glove.
    Brandon Phillips will be at shortstop by next spring... They just aint going to move him in the middle of the season... They'll have him play winter/fall ball at short and spring there also... He'll be our full time SS next year.

Least I hope BP is at SS next year

Majewski won't be anything special. He will be solid, but will never be a team ace by any stretch. He will give you about a 4.00 ERA year-in and year-out. Nothing great, but I guess it is a better option in the pen than they had.
    Majewski, is in his 2 year and 26 years old. In 79 games last year he posted an ERA under 3. He had 50K's in 86 innings pitched. Majewski has a power fastball that tops out about 94 mph with downwoard action... A power fastball pitcher... He also has a good hard slider to throw at you.

Bray ... honestly I don't know anything about him other than looking at the stats. Putting up 3.91 ERA and 1.43 WHIP in a pitcher's park in Washington doesn't impress me much ... now inflat those numbers to match GAB ... yikes ... he could make Sidney Ponson's look good!!! He is supposed to be really good, but his stint in the bigs this year hasn't shown much.
    Bray, to be honest i know nothing about him.. all cept he is a kid (23 years old) Wayne K had high thoughts of him though. The kid is left handed and has a fastball that tops out at 94 mph. Wayne also said most of pitches are at the 90-94 mph range... Once again he has a good slider to go along with his fastball... He can pitch to both right and left handed hitters. From his minor league stats it looks like he been giving up about a hit an inning and striking out 1 per inning. ANd only allowed 5 home runs in 47 innings pitched.

He was a 1st round draft pick in 04.

So, I am not sure what you have been reading that has gotten your hopes up on the deal, but I still don't see anything that is extremely positive in the way of the Reds.

I'm not getting my hopes up, i just see a soild trade... To this day I believe Austin Kearns had his highest value... He is injury prone.. He is going into his 5th full year as a Red in the majors and he hasn't completed a year... He played in 112 games in 2005... He highest total of his carrer... I'd say ship him while his stock is high.

Lopez on the other hand is different.... I don't think there was a chance in the world that the Reds could of signed him after next year.... He is a young talented shortstop with a good offensive upside to him.. He can hit, Hit with power, and can steal bases... But his defense leaves something to desire.... So after coming off his best year as a pro baseball player.. again, his stock was high... trade him while you can cuz you know Boras would ask for an arm in a leg.

Clayton is gone after next year anyways...

Brendan Harris, is a Ryan Freel type of player... Scrappy... Plays all out... I don't know if he'll find anytime on the big club or not.

Now, Daryl Thompson.... Has a ton of upside.... He is 20 year old pitcher... Drafted out of high school... Doc Hollywood did a sugrey on him 2 years ago and he has been doing excellent snice then... All the reports i've heard from the Reds Org that Thompson comes in to the farm system and goes into the top 5 beest prospects we have in the system.

So, why not trade 2 younger players who are at the highest value they'll probably get and get in return 2 bullpen arms that will help now, and a prospect that will help in the future.. Along with helping with the defense.

The stuff I said is in bold
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

When I read the title of this thread, my first thought was, "I though the other guy's name was Thomspson, not Clayton."

I seem to have put Royce Clayton completely out of my mind.

When I stop and think about it, every time I've seen him in my game the past few years, I've thought, "Huh? Is he still around?"

Oh well.

As to the others, Bray looks very interesting, and Majewski seems solid. Thompson's the wild card, I guess. Harris is hit-or-miss, I think, but doesn't seem to have much of a ceiling.How this trade rates in the long run may depend on whether he pans out.

OTOH, an improved bullpen leading this team into the playoffs would also be an opinion maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    If they don't this trade will be looked back on as Bowden performing an act similar to a colonoscopy on Kriv.
    As I said on other threads, even in a best case scenerio, the Reds are probably coming out on the short end of the stick.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Clayton is a stopgap pure and simple. Phillips will be the SS next season. They don't won't him to change positions at this time in the season. So you have Clayton for two and half months.
    I think Majewski and Bray will help immensely in the bullpen. But on the other hand just about anyone would have been better. They are both young and should be around for a few years.
    Krivsky has guts. I don't think I would have traded two everday players the caliber of Kearns and Lopez. One, yes but both no. Kivs has got to feel the pressure now. If Denorfia bombs along with Majewski and Bray while Kearns and Lopez flourish in DC or elsewhere then he may be in the unemployment line. Only time will tell but so far every move he has made has been gold. Let's hope this one is too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I think the trouble with the perception of this trade is that it was "names for plumbing" with the Reds on the plumbing end of things.

That is, we traded 2 relatively high-profile "name" guys for parts and pieces to improve the infrastructure of the team. Not a terribly sexy trade and rather subtle on the Reds side (Jimbo's side was characteristically splashy).

Not that I have any choice, but I'm going to wait and see how this pans out.

The only part I don't get is Krivsky saying that #1 money and #2 making room for Denorfia had anything to do with this trade.

I think the facts that the Reds weren't going to be able to afford Lopez and that they had Denorfia waiting in AAA to take over for Kearns had tons to do with this trade.

Pay attention to the open sky

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I think the trouble with the perception of this trade is that it was "names for plumbing" with the Reds on the plumbing end of things.

That is, we traded 2 relatively high-profile "name" guys for parts and pieces to improve the infrastructure of the team. Not a terribly sexy trade and rather subtle on the Reds side (Jimbo's side was characteristically splashy).

Not that I have any choice, but I'm going to wait and see how this pans out.

The only part I don't get is Krivsky saying that #1 money and #2 making room for Denorfia had anything to do with this trade.

I think the facts that the Reds weren't going to be able to afford Lopez and that they had Denorfia waiting in AAA to take over for Kearns had tons to do with this trade.

I just keep asking myself: buy why TWO major league starters?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Clayton is a passing ship in the night.
    A ship that needs to be hit with a torpedo and sent to the bottom, if Captain Narron really believes it should stay in the fleet. I keep reading about how Clayton "knows how to play the game," but defensively it appears he has no more range than does Lopez. I also read comments about all the errors Lopez makes, but then I read that since the start of the 2005 season Lopez has made 31 errors and Clayton has made 22 errors----I guarantee that Loepz's offense will more than make up for the nine error advantage Clayton has defensively.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    A ship that needs to be hit with a torpedo and sent to the bottom
    if they really wanted to improve defensively the likely best solution would be to move Phillips to SS and insert Bergolla/Olmedo at 2nd.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I just keep asking myself: buy why TWO major league starters?
    And this from a guy, who like me, isn't too optimistic that Austin Kearns will live up to his potential.

Cyclone, thanks for taking the time to do the research to start this thread. But in all, it's like reading the bad news all over again, but in more detail.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Bray is only 23?

Wow I didn't know that!

With Majewski only being 26, hopefully they can anchor down the bullpen for years to come.

This is one fact that helps me get through this trade. If we get two legit BP pitchers then this trade could work out. Hopefully Deno can do 1/2 of what he's done in AAA. Ok, you know what I mean and then we just take the hit offensively with Castro, et. all and get better defense at the same time. From what I heard Deno won't be a defensive slouch either.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792

Gary Majewski: 26-years-old
    Code:
    Lifetime K/9 ....... 5.32
    Lifetime BB/9 ...... 3.71
    Lifetime HR/9 ...... 0.44
    Lifetime K/BB ...... 1.43

Lifetime DIPS ERA .. 3.92
    Lifetime ERA ....... 3.27

Lifetime BABIP ..... .292

Road HR/9 .......... 0.54
    Road DIPS ERA ...... 3.88
    Basically we're getting a guy in Majewski who's been maybe slightly BABIP hit lucky, doesn't strike many guys out at all, walks too many guys, but has the uncanny ability to keep the ball in the yard.

Key question for Majewski: How will his HR/9 rate fare once pitching half his games in GABP? His road HR/9 rate, while a small sample in only 83 innings, does look promising so hopefully the spike up in home runs allowed for Majewski is minimal.

Still, if this guy starts serving up the long ball, he could start getting torched real quick. If Majewski can continue his success in keeping the ball in the yard, he should have some success, though our poor defense may shine through and bump his ERA up close to his DIPS ERA level.

Bill Bray: Just turned 23-years-old
    Code:
    Lifetime K/9 ....... 6.26
    Lifetime BB/9 ...... 3.52
    Lifetime HR/9 ...... 0.78
    Lifetime K/BB ...... 1.78

Lifetime DIPS ERA .. 4.09
    Lifetime ERA ....... 3.91

Lifetime BABIP ..... .310

Minors K/9 ........ 11.44
    Minors BB/9 ........ 2.63
    Minors HR/9 ........ 1.14
    Minors K/BB ........ 4.35
    Based purely off statistics, Bray's a solid prospect lefty out of the pen. I'd like to see him carry his solid minor league K/9 rate up to the majors, but time will tell if he's able to accomplish that. His home run rate in the minors may be a tad worrisome as the combination of major league hitters + GABP could send that figure spiking higher than merely one bomb per nine innings.

The good news for Bray is he's a young 23-years-old and he's already reached the majors. Hopefully development will continue for him over the next few seasons and we may have a solid, young reliever on our hands if he's able to carry his high K/9 rate onto the big club.
    I am disappointed by Majewski's K rate. I was hoping for something in at least the 7 or 8 strikeout per nine innings range. 5.32 Ks per nine innings isn't that impressive, especially for a reliever. Once a pitcher drops below 4.5 per nine innings, chances are he won't last long.
    Bray's 6.26 K rate for nine innings is better, but still not great. The 11.44 K rate in the minors was great, and, as Cyclone noted, if he can bump his major league K rate to something approaching his minor league rate, then the Reds may have a valuable pitcher.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?