Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds prospects faring well

Reds prospects faring well

Sports/Lookouts: Reds prospects faring well
    Wednesday, July 12, 2006, at 4:53 p.m.

Filed by David Paschall

The Cincinnati Reds began this season with the worst minor league system in all of baseball according to Baseball America, but they shouldn’t start out next season in the same spot.

Pitcher Homer Bailey and first baseman Joey Votto are putting up impressive numbers for the Double-A Chattanooga Lookouts, as are pitcher Travis Wood and outfielder Jay Bruce with the Single-A Dayton Dragons. Bailey (2004) and Bruce (2005) are former first-round picks by the Reds, while Votto (2002) and Wood (2005) are former second-round selections.

Bailey has gone 3-0 with an 0.00 earned run average in his 17 innings since a June 19 promotion from the high Single-A Florida State League, while Votto leads the Southern League in batting average (.327), doubles (29), home runs (19) and RBIs (56). Votto’s 199 total bases leads all of minor league baseball.

Bruce is hitting .322 with 13 homers and 60 RBIs for the Dragons, while Wood is 6-1 with a 3.72 ERA in 17 starts. Bruce and Wood could be Lookouts next season, though each likely will start the year in high-A Sarasota.

Baseball America is not scheduled to release another ranking of farm systems until March 2007.

E-mail David Paschall at dpaschall@timesfreepress.com

http://www.tfponline.com/absolutenm/...2693&zoneid=31

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Reds prospects faring well

I gotta keep sticking up for my man Zach Ward -- persona non gratis when it comes to articles about the Reds farm system. All the kid has done is dominate at Dayton:
    Code:
    W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO
    7	0	2.51	17	15	0	0	0	97.0	65	32	27	2	26	85
    97 IP, only 91 men allowed to reach base, and 2 HRs given up in that entire time.

Numbers speak for themselves, this guy absolutely should be moving up to Sarasota.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

how about that DanO?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I gotta keep sticking up for my man Zach Ward -- persona non gratis when it comes to articles about the Reds farm system. All the kid has done is dominate at Dayton:
    Code:
    W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO
    7	0	2.51	17	15	0	0	0	97.0	65	32	27	2	26	85
    97 IP, only 91 men allowed to reach base, and 2 HRs given up in that entire time.

Numbers speak for themselves, this guy absolutely should be moving up to Sarasota.
    Given his age and dominant performance, Ward should probably go to Chatanooga.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-12-2006 at 09:59 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Ward also boasts a 149-45 GO/FO Ratio, which is roughly 3.3-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    how about that DanO?
    I have to be honest when I say that DanO so far has kicked Krivsky's ass in the draft department.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I have to be honest when I say that DanO so far has kicked Krivsky's ass in the draft department.

Which is exactly what the guy said he was going to do when he got here...Develop for the long-haul. I really wish we could have hired Krivs for the majors and DanO for the minors.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

That's not really fair. They had two different draft classes to work with. Besides, the players Krivsky drafted have only been professionals for about 3 weeks. I'm not going to say "judge it in 5 years", but could we at least withhold judgement until this time next year?

One draft so far and the weakest draft class in years doesn't usually help.

It may not be a popular thing to say but Dano drafted very well and i said that from the day of the draft. It is true though that this past draft was weak and I feel Kriv did a decent job of adressing needs and at a faster progress rate than Dano's draft. Yes I would trade Homer if the right offer came but at the time Dano was crucified for drafting a highschool pitcher. My feeling now is that no one would say it was an unwise choice it has created a very desirable trading chip without a doubt.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Well - to split hairs, the Reds weren't ranked dead last by Baseball America, but 29th of 30th (Moving on up!)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsIn07
    One draft so far and the weakest draft class in years doesn't usually help.

He had several chances to pick up good players, but he picked up lesser players.

I liked a couple of his bullpen selections in the later rounds, but there's not a single diamond among his selections; just a bunch of unpolished garnet.

And yeah, I guess to be fair, DanO's 2004 draft was pretty awful too; I suppose I'd put DanO's 2004 and Krivsky's 2006 on the same level--but as someone above pointed out, Krivsky was brought here to IMPROVE the minors too.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

FCB, I dont think there is a single guy with the upside of Bailey in the 2006 draft crop of the Reds...of course, I dont think there were many guys available with Baileys upside available at all in the 2006 draft. I think Krivsky passed on some guys that he shouldnt have, but thats all past us now so I wont rehash it all.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    FCB, I dont think there is a single guy with the upside of Bailey in the 2006 draft crop of the Reds...of course, I dont think there were many guys available with Baileys upside available at all in the 2006 draft. I think Krivsky passed on some guys that he shouldnt have, but thats all past us now so I wont rehash it all.
    You know that feeling you get when you watch Scott Kazmir pitch, or read Jeremy Sowers' box line some morning when looking over AAA stats? You sit, look at the Reds farm system, and wonder what might have been...

You'll have the same exact feeling down the road about Kyle Drabek.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

CE, Drabek is a guy I really wanted them to take. However, the Indians can keep Sowers and his inability to strike anyone out. Yeah, he would have been nice to have and then traded, but I dont think he makes much of a splash in the majors with the inability to hit 90 on a radar gun as a starter. As for Kazmir... that one makes me REAL sad. I agree with Drabek though, he has absolutely nasty stuff in his arm....if it can stay healthy, he will be the best player from the 2006 draft. Stubbs, well I hated the pick before it happened, but he is stuck with us now, so I pray he can learn to hit.

Turn Off Ads?