Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's 9th inning...

Tonight's 9th inning...

While I still believe the Reds could have gotten more, tonight's 9th inning is a perfect example of why today's trade had to be made. How many times do 9-3 cake walks get turned into the tying run coming to the plate with this team? It just shouldn't happen. I'm really counting on these guys coming in and getting outs. They will have a lot of pressure on them to do just that with what the Reds gave up. The market for relievers must be TIGHT!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tonight's 9th inning...

Quote Originally Posted by EKURed
    While I still believe the Reds could have gotten more, tonight's 9th inning is a perfect example of why today's trade had to be made. How many times do 9-3 cake walks get turned into the tying run coming to the plate with this team? It just shouldn't happen. I'm really counting on these guys coming in and getting outs. They will have a lot of pressure on them to do just that with what the Reds gave up. The market for relievers must be TIGHT!!!!
    Yes, the market is tight. The pitchers the Reds obtained throw hard and go after hitters! We now have a reliable fielding shortstop that will not give away outs.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

While I still believe the Reds could have gotten more, tonight's 9th inning is a perfect example of why today's trade had to be made. How many times do 9-3 cake walks get turned into the tying run coming to the plate with this team?
    However many times the manager uses Standridge instead of Belisle or Mercker. Of course, the problem of Standridge will not be around anymore.

When Milton and the #5 starter bombs in the 2nd half people won't be worrying about the pen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    We now have a reliable fielding shortstop that will not give away outs.
    Repeat that enough and maybe you'll believe it. He has only 3 less errors than Lopez and Clayton had a tall 1B who picks throws very well. All I can say to Royce is welcome to Hatteberg. Clayton at most is a slight improvement defensively and a huge downgrade with the bat. I would have liked this trade better if Clayton was not in it(Reds have better internal solutions). Royce is not the solution to any problem the Reds have.

We now have a reliable fielding shortstop that will not give away outs.
    Who will also make plenty too. He's Womack minuses the locks.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Yes, the market is tight. The pitchers the Reds obtained throw hard and go after hitters! We now have a reliable fielding shortstop that will not give away outs.

Maybe 2+ years ago, sure.

Now? His defense is maybe slightly above Lopez.

His bat is far worse.

I forget who said it in the ORG thread on the trade, but I would have been happier had we not gotten Royce F'n Clayton in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Maybe 2+ years ago, sure.

Now? His defense is maybe slightly above Lopez.

His bat is far worse.

I forget who said it in the ORG thread on the trade, but I would have been happier had we not gotten Royce F'n Clayton in return.
    Time will tell............
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Clearly the offense did not take an overwhelming hit. Everyone has known that we had offense to spare. But I think Ryan Freel put it perfectly when he noted that we'd be 10 games over
    .500 if we'd had a decent bullpen. While one might wonder if the starting pitching will hold up (and heaven knows the kneejerk comments about Milton collapsing to his "career norms" weren't surprising), if it does, we can make the playoffs with a better bullpen.

I'm not terribly worried about Royce Clayton. I've said it ad nauseum that he's just a stopgap and seems to have been a throw-in. He'll be adequate, a very slight defensive upgrade, but he's here for one year, I'm guessing.

I'm liking the boldness of this trade. The writers in DC are noting that the Nationals gave up two very good relievers. And I like that Krivskey was decent enough to move Ryan Wagner to give him a fresh start. I think it was a mistake to have taken him in the 1st round when we did, but now he can start over somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21

His bat is far worse.
    I disagree, his batting average is a point higher. :

Old Red Guard Reject

Clayton should NEVER start over Freel at 2B and Phillips at SS.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    You're not going to like what's about to happen, I have a feeling.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    You're not going to like what's about to happen, I have a feeling.
    Yeah, I know. Even worse is the potential Castro/Clayton 'Sunday Specials'
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    You don't move a guy from 2b to ss in the middle of the season....just my opinion. That is an off season switch. Alot of things change, including throws, angles, your approach to ground balls. It's alot.

You don't move a guy from 2b to ss in the middle of the season....just my opinion. That is an off season switch.
    If he had never or rarely played the position it would be true, however, it is not a big deal for a guy who has spent the majority of his minor league career as a SS. I think it is probably likely he is more comfortable playing SS than he is playing 2B.

Maybe the Reds don't think Phillips would cut it at SS but switching back to his natural position would not be a big deal. Now whether he can play it well at the major league level is a different question.

I'm really counting on these guys coming in and getting outs.
    To Standridge's credit, two of the "hits" he surrendered were medium speed grounders that found holes to either side of the first baseman, and the final one was an even more weakly hit bloop over SS.

I had the feeling that had it been a road game instead of in front of the home team fans that Jerry might has left Jason in there a little longer.

It was something like lifting a pitcher after giving up 3 bunt singles.

However, now upon checking the box score, I see that I must have missed the other hit, Choo Freeman's double to "deep right" as described by Yahoo. Was it well hit? Sometimes Yahoo's play-by-play writeup says "deep" when it was actually a bloop double.

Turn Off Ads?