Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

  1. #1
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,510

    Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    To make room on the roster for RHP Gary Majewski, LHP Bill Bray and SS Royce Clayton, the Reds today designated for assignment RHP Esteban Yan, optioned to Louisville IF William Bergolla and placed RHP Matt Belisle on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 10, with a strained lower back.

    Additionally, today the Reds claimed off waivers from the Nationals and optioned to Louisville OF Brandon Watson.

    Watson started the season with the Nationals and appeared in 9 games…on 4/13 he was optioned to Class AAA New Orleans, where in 21 games he hit .305 with 11 runs, 13 RBI and 2 stolen bases…from 5/27-7/9 he was on New Orleans’ disabled list with a dislocated left shoulder.

    Watson has 165 stolen bases in 8 minor league seasons. He is the godson of 2-time National League All-Star and Reds Hall of Famer OF Eric Davis.
    Last edited by Chip R; 07-15-2006 at 11:16 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    I didn't realize Belisle was injured.

    Or should I say "injured".
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  4. #3
    Member ochre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,266

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Watson has 165 stolen bases in 8 minor league seasons. He is the godson of 2-time National League All-Star and Reds Hall of Famer OF Eric Davis.
    Tom Lawless Fan will be geeked about this.
    4009



  5. #4
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,007

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Uh, what's up with Belisle? Wasn't he doing just fine since he came back?

    That really stinks for the BP, which all of a sudden was starting to shape up nicely with the trade...

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,869

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    why did we have to move three guys? what about kearns and lopez's roster spots?
    Go BLUE!!!

  7. #6
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Mercker and Weathers still in Cincy. I'm not as happy at 3:30 on a Friday as I should be.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  8. #7
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    why did we have to move three guys? what about kearns and lopez's roster spots?
    Filled by Bergolla and Superman... errrr... Denorfia.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  9. #8
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,370

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    why did we have to move three guys? what about kearns and lopez's roster spots?
    Yes, we subtract 2 guys and add 4; Deno, Bray, Majewski, & Clayton.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  10. #9
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,594

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Tom Lawless Fan will be geeked about this.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  11. #10
    Can he be stopped?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    1,231

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Who goes when we have to add the Lizard? My guess is Standridge gets sent back down. He looked okay for a while, but he still has control problems, which is why he fell out of favor of the old regime.

    And then who knows what happens once Belisle is ready.... Merc or Weathers might go then, depending on performance.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

    Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

  12. #11
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,588

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Mercker and Weathers still in Cincy. I'm not as happy at 3:30 on a Friday as I should be.
    Is it Merck's 2.70 ERA or his 1.05 WHIP since the end of May that has you distressed?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    109

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Huh, the Belisle thing is a little puzzling, though I figured a DL'd player would factor into today's moves. I just thought it might be Ross, even though he's supposed to be close. Either way, there are still more decisions to be made, Elizardo comes back to pitch on Sunday remember.
    Brian

    Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

  14. #13
    Can he be stopped?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    1,231

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Huh, the Belisle thing is a little puzzling, though I figured a DL'd player would factor into today's moves. I just thought it might be Ross, even though he's supposed to be close. Either way, there are still more decisions to be made, Elizardo comes back to pitch on Sunday remember.
    I posted this on another thread, but i'll repeat it here, because I just shocked myself with my crazy smarts.

    Here's a thought. If Ross's injury lingers a few more days, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him DLed retroactive to the injury. That would clear room on the roster for the Lizard and give LaRue a few more games to prove himself to other teams that he has recovered from his knee/slump early in the season. Ross's injury was before the all star game, so his stay would only be a couple games before he could come back, but that may be enough to move LaRue.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

    Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

  15. #14
    SSG, Red Army Choir Guacarock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    So we designate Yan for assignment after he comes over from the Angels and goes 15 innings for us, posting a 3.60 ERA and 1.33 WHIP.

    And who do we replace him with? Majewski, whose 2006 stats with the Nationals -- 3.58 ERA, 1.34 WHIP -- are practically identical with Yan's during his brief stay with the Reds.

    Admittedly, Yan is old and not as cheap or dependable as Majewski. Esteban's stats would certainly degenerate if he got used in as many situations as Majewski.

    Even so, knowing that, I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that our GM gave away two young, everyday studs for two modestly talented middle relievers from a last-place team, not even that team's best bullpen arms.

    Was this highway robbery? A salary dump? A circle jerk? Or a vain, rash attempt by Krivsky to effect an extreme makeover of the team in his own image (a la some arrogant new Hollywood regime that's just taken over a studio and dumps the prior management's full slate of titles, never mind the financial repercusssions)?

    It wouldn't surprise me to see Bowden lift Yan off the waiver wire, and have him outpitch Majewski the balance of '06. Talk about rubbing salt into an open wound!

  16. #15
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,719

    Re: Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

    Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock
    So we designate Yan for assignment after he comes over from the Angels and goes 15 innings for us, posting a 3.60 ERA and 1.33 WHIP.

    And who do we replace him with? Majewski, whose 2006 stats with the Nationals -- 3.58 ERA, 1.34 WHIP -- are practically identical with Yan's during his brief stay with the Reds.

    Admittedly, Yan is old and not as cheap or dependable as Majewski. Esteban's stats would certainly degenerate if he got used in as many situations as Majewski.

    Even so, knowing that, I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that our GM gave away two young, everyday studs for two modestly talented middle relievers from a last-place team, not even that team's best bullpen arms.

    Was this highway robbery? A salary dump? A circle jerk? Or a vain, rash attempt by Krivsky to effect an extreme makeover of the team in his own image (a la some arrogant new Hollywood regime that's just taken over a studio and dumps the prior management's full slate of titles, never mind the financial repercusssions)?

    It wouldn't surprise me to see Bowden lift Yan off the waiver wire, and have him outpitch Majewski the balance of '06. Talk about rubbing salt into an open wound!
    Yan has a 5.14 ERA for his career.
    Majewski has a 3.27 ERA for his career.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25