Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Were does Krivs go from here? (long)

Were does Krivs go from here? (long)

Well, the deal is done - like it or not. Whether it actually gets us to the playoffs remains to be seen. One thing I believe is certain, Krivsky will need to do more than this between now and when ST breaks if this club is to continue to compete beyond this season. Here's my take:

Postions:

Definitely back:

Phillips
    Encarnacion
    Dunn
    Denorfia
    Ross
    Valentin

Definitely back (unless the right deal comes along):

Griffey
    Freel

Possibly back:

Hatteberg
    Castro
    Wise

Gone/Probably gone:

LaRue
    Aurillia
    Clayton

Possible minor league help:

Votto
    Harris
    Olmedo
    Bergolla
    Moran

Needed acquisitions:

* RH 1B/OF (to pair with Hatteberg or Votto)
    * 2 young 2B/SS types
    * a solid young OF if Junior is moved
    * Veteran 4th OF
    * Insurance C

1B - I would possibly bring Hatteberg back if I wasn't sure that Votto would break ST with the Club. I'd add a RH 1b/OF to pair with Votto or Hatteberg. Votto and Hat aren't on the same roster.

2B/SS - Phillips is at one spot. I don't really like anyone else (ML/AAA/AA) as a starter. I'd like to have two young MI's to compete for the job opposite him, with the odd man out going to AAA to play everyday and act as insurance. I expect Freel to be dealt for some kind of return, but would love his versatility/fire back. Harris may be fine as a backup at 2B/SS/3B if Freel goes. I don't mind Castro in a reserve role as much as many do, but Olmedo or Bergolla might work as a reserve. Hopefully Aurilla and especially Clayton
    move on.

3B - Encarnacion

LF - Dunn

CF - Probably Griffey, but I'd like to see him move to RF and leave CF to Denorfia/Freel.

RF - (see CF)

Reserve OF - I'd like to see a vet with some punch, along the lines of a Reggie Sanders, added to strengthen the bench and act as insurance in case a starter goes down. If not, I could see Moran competing with Wise for the last spot. If I can move Griffey's contract off the books and add a
    promising young OF and maybe a young power bullpen arm in return, I seriously consider it.

C - Ross and Valentin. I would be shocked if LaRue is still around. I wouldn't mind seeing them add a solid semi-veteran in Louisville as insurance.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-15-2006 at 12:19 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Were does Krivs go from here? (long)

Pitching:

Definitely back:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Coffey
    Bray
    Majewski

Probably back (unless the right deal comes along):

Belisle
    Ramierez
    Claussen

Possibly back:

Guardado
    Mercker
    Standridge

Gone if you can conceiveably find anyone to take him (but probably back):

Milton

Gone/Probably gone:

Weathers
    Mays

Possible minor league help:

Bailey
    Kelly
    Dumatrait
    Shafer
    Balfour
    Germano

Needed acquisitions:

* #1 Starter
    * A young power reliever
    * Any available solid arms to serve as competition

Notes:

Rotation:

Harang & Arroyo have the number 2 & 3 spots if healthy

I take the money that I saved by dealing Casey/Kearns/Lopez (and possibly moving or not bringing back Griffey/Milton/LaRue/Clayton/
    Weathers/Mercker/Hatteberg) and go hard after a stud FA starter like Zito/Schmidt or other top arm. (I don't think we have the pieces left now to bring one in a trade). I know that it will be hard to entice a top FA arm to Cincy and away from the Big Markets, but Krivs and Cast need to make it happen.

Ramierez/Milton are alright to start the season if Bailey isn't ready out of ST, but I would like to add at least two more potential solid 4/5 starters by trade or FA as competition. I probably start Homer at Louisville regardless, but if his development warrants it, I consider bringing him up from May on. I give Claussen another shot at winning a rotation job, but strongly consdier moving him to the pen (I don't hesitate using him to sweeten a deal if the return is right too).

Bullpen:

Bray, Majewski and Coffey most likely return and are possible closers. If Guardado shows he's still got something left he might return also, but I'm dubious. Belisle (if healthy) is fine as a long relief candidate as well as Claussen, Kelly or any rotation also-rans.

Claussen, Dumatrait and possibly Mercker are candidates for the 2nd LH to go with Bray.

Shafer, Balfour and Standridge (if he can harness his talent) could battle for the last spot.

I would like to see them add at least one young power arm with closer potential to join the closer derby.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-15-2006 at 01:44 AM.

Turn Off Ads?