Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Agents in '07

Free Agents in '07

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Nothing too intriuging here. I’ve always liked Nomar, but he’s an injury waiting to happen. Won’t be able to afford any of the top pitchers, but I could see Castellini wanting to make a run for Mulder. Gil Meche could be a possibility.

1) Daisuke Matsuzaka, SP, Seibu Lions (Japan)
    2) Barry Zito, SP, Oakland Athletics
    3) Alfonso Soriano, 2B/OF, Washington Nationals
    4) Carlos Lee, OF, Milwaukee Brewers
    5) Nomar Garciaparra, 1B, Los Angeles Dodgers
    6) Jason Schmidt, SP, San Francisco Giants
    7) Mike Mussina*, SP, Yankees
    8) Torii Hunter*, OF, Minnesota Twins
    9) Seung-Yeop Lee, OF, Yomiuri Giants (Japan)
    10) Mark Mulder, SP, St. Louis Cardinals
    11) Gary Sheffield*, OF, New York Yankees
    12) Julio Lugo, SS, Tampa Bay Devil Rays
    13) Gary Matthews Jr., OF, Texas Rangers
    14) Cliff Floyd, OF, New York Mets
    15) Barry Bonds, OF, San Francisco
    16) Jason Marquis, SP, St. Louis
    17) Kerry Wood*, SP, Chicago Cubs
    18) Trot Nixon, OF, Boston Red Sox
    19) Adam Eaton, SP, Texas
    20) Bengie Molina*, C, Toronto Blue Jays
    21) Frank Catalanotto, OF/IF, Toronto
    22) Ted Lilly, SP, Toronto
    23) Juan Pierre, OF, Chicago Cubs
    24) Shea Hillenbrand, IF, Toronto
    25) Eric Gagne*, RP, Los Angeles Dodgers
    25a) Roger Clemens, SP, Houston Astros

A dozen potential bargains

1) Rod Barajas, C, Texas
    2) Gil Meche, SP, Seattle
    3) David Dellucci, OF, Philadelphia
    4) Mark DeRosa, 2B/OF, Texas
    5) Jose Guillen, OF, Washington
    6) Scott Hatteberg, 1B, Cincinnati
    7) Tomo Ohka, SP, Milwaukee
    8) Dave Roberts, OF, San Diego
    9) Javier Valentin, C, Cincinnati
    10) Jeff Weaver, SP, St. Louis
    11) Randy Wolf, SP, Philadelphia
    12) Craig Wilson, 1B/OF, Pittsburgh

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Free Agents in '07

Unless I missed it on the list, isn't Sean Casey a free agent next year? Word is, he would like to come back to Cincy.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Wonder what Sean would cost? Less than $2M? I'd rather re-sign Hatteberg if a stop-gap is needed until Votto's ready.

I wonder how much Zito would cost us? If we cleared LaRue's salary sometime before next year and with Lopez and Kearns gone we might have enough money to get him. And with Phillips most likely going to SS (I think) we would also need a 2nd baseman. And I also would rather have Hatteberg than Casey.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

We might not have a real shot at Zito, Schmidt or Mulder, but I'd still make a run at them, possibly Marquis or Eatonf from the next tier. Meche, maybe Wolf (not sure how he's done this year) from the bargain bin - wouldn't mind Craig Wilson for bench strength if the price is right

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    I wonder how much Zito would cost us?
    I think the A.J.Burnett deal set the minimum these guys (Zito, Mulder and Schimdt) will ask: 4 years/ 44 million neighborhood.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of Zito in GABP, for some reason I just visualize his hanging, looping curve getting smacked out a lot, but he'd be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat
    We might not have a real shot at Zito, Schmidt or Mulder, but I'd still make a run at them, possibly Marquis or Eatonf from the next tier. Meche, maybe Wolf (not sure how he's done this year) from the bargain bin - wouldn't mind Craig Wilson for bench strength if the price is right
    I think Schmidt is too old to throw a lot of money at. Mulder is having a horrible year with an ERA over 6, but he has been injured. Zito is having a fairly good season with an ERA of 3.29 and a WHIP of 1.28. And he is the youngest of the three at only 28 so I figure he's got 5 or 6 good seasons left.

As a matter of fact. you could probably sign Hat & Wilson for less than what Casey would consider a discounted price - maybe even have something left over for a 2B

I'd pay $11-12/per for Zito at the top of the rotation
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-15-2006 at 12:17 AM.

Schimidt is the best pitcher on the market. IMO he is loads better than Zito. He is also a workhorse much like Harang.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    Schimidt is the best pitcher on the market. IMO he is loads better than Zito. He is also a workhorse much like Harang.
    He may be the best pitcher on the market but for how many more years? He's 33 Zito is 28, Schmidt is probably going to ask for a long term contract. I suppose if he has the longevity of Roger Clemens then that would be ok, but I don't know how well he keeps himself in shape. And I don't think he is "loads" better than Zito.

I don't think Zito is a #1 starter. He doesn't have good K numbers and his ERA the last few years has been in the very high 3 range. While Schmidt has been injury prone, when he is healthy he has overpowering stuff. I would offer JS 13 mill a year for 3 years at the most. Zito IMO should get a contract that owes a little more money than Milton got, even though I know someone will brake the bank on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    He may be the best pitcher on the market but for how many more years? He's 33 Zito is 28, Schmidt is probably going to ask for a long term contract. I suppose if he has the longevity of Roger Clemens then that would be ok, but I don't know how well he keeps himself in shape. And I don't think he is "loads" better than Zito.

DETROIT TOOK A CHANCE ON KENNY ROGERS, WHY CAN'T WE WITH SCHMIDT? we are going to have a hard time getting a top of the line pitcher here unless we overpay. do i want to do that? hell no, but thats just reality. i laughed when detroit signed rogers and boy did they make look stupid.: 33 is still young for a pitcher so lets show them the money!
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    DETROIT TOOK A CHANCE ON KENNY ROGERS, WHY CAN'T WE WITH SCHMIDT? we are going to have a hard time getting a top of the line pitcher here unless we overpay. do i want to do that? hell no, but thats just reality. i laughed when detroit signed rogers and boy did they make look stupid.: 33 is still young for a pitcher so lets show them the money!
    Well don't feel stupid too soon. K Rog is historically a bad second half pitcher. Guess we'll have to wait and see. And I'm not saying we can't because I have no say whatsoever. And like I said Schmidt may have the longevity of Clemens, and if we did get Schmidt I would very excited about our chances next season.

Assuming the Reds stand pat, I'd gamble on a couple great arms with injury question marks and one or two solid contributors in the pen. (I'm also assuming the Matsuzakas, Zitos, and Schmidts of the world will again bypass Cincinnati in favor of more money and prominence in other baseball towns.)

Intriguing Possibilities:
    Mike Mussina
    I figure he'll be overlooked this year, as his numbers are really, really solid. I know he's 38 and has pitched a ton of innings, but most teams will shy away because of those innings and years. Overpay a bit with either years or million and hope he can continue throwing the knuckle curve (and develop a knuckleball, perhaps?). If nothing else, he'd be an excellent man in the clubhouse, as he obviously knows how to pitch.

Randy Wolf: He's used to pitching in an unforgiving environment as a home park and is also an excellent example of a pitcher and not a thrower. He's hurt right now and a gamble, but better gamble on his elbow than Wood's or Mulder's rotator cuff.

Vincente Padilla: Another ex-Phil could be a good acquisition. He's got good stuff and has been decent with Texas this year. That's an extreme hitter's park, so he's used to that. He could be an outstanding #4.

Relievers are tougher. Baez will be available and I could see Krivsky go after him and his 97 mph fastball. Not a horrible option, though he shouldn't overpay.

Another option is to sign a couple starters and bring up a starter or two and convert someone to closer. Anyone else think Elizardo Ramirez would be an excellent closer? How about Milton?

Turn Off Ads?