Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Agents in '07

Re: Free Agents in '07

Anyone one know anything at all about that Japanese pitcher?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    No. I think we all saw in the WBC that none of them could compete in the bigs.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I think two guys there that clearly fit Wayne's style in my opinion would be Mussina and Mulder and boy would I love getting those two. Imagine if he did do that and actually spent the money on them? Actually not afraid to spend money like they have been preaching. Can you imagine a rotation of Mussina, Mulder, Arroyo, Harang, and then the fifth spot of say Ramirez. Or possibly Bailey if he is ready, now that has me antsy!!!! Sure Mussina is a slight injury risk and getting older and with Mulder you are guaranteed at least probably 1 maybe 2 DL trips per year, but I would be very very VERY satisfied with that. Ok, maybe I should wake up from my dream now, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    DETROIT TOOK A CHANCE ON KENNY ROGERS, WHY CAN'T WE WITH SCHMIDT? we are going to have a hard time getting a top of the line pitcher here unless we overpay. do i want to do that? hell no, but thats just reality. i laughed when detroit signed rogers and boy did they make look stupid.: 33 is still young for a pitcher so lets show them the money!
    I don't see how it would be taking a chance with Schmidt. Really Schmidt is a top flight, notch pitcher in my book and when healthy is a top 5 SP in the league and even when not 100% is probably in the top 20. Very solid pitcher IMO.

Schmidt and the Japanese pitcher are the two my money would go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    http://www.rotoauthority.com/2005/08...ep_2006_f.html

If mulder is healthy by then he would be a great pickup. Adam Eaton would also be really nice. I would love to get schmidt right now. Trade for him and let him lead us to the division title then sign him to a 2 yr 18 million deal in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13
    If mulder is healthy by then he would be a great pickup. Adam Eaton would also be really nice. I would love to get schmidt right now. Trade for him and let him lead us to the division title then sign him to a 2 yr 18 million deal in the offseason.
    It would be great to get him, but it won't happen. The Giants are likely gong to get some pretty good offers for him. The Reds just don't have the ammo, unless Bruce and Bailey were involved, and it's just not worth it for a pitcher who could be a rental. Also, I'm guessing Schmidt will demand 3-4 years at $12-13 million.

Mulder is a ground ball pitcher, but has been plauged with shoulder issues.. which I shy away from. The Japanese guy throws the mythical "gyroball" - he's very young. He'd have to be posted, so it would be costly just to even entertain the ability to offer him a contract(i.e you have to "bid" millions for the right to negotiate with him.. see ichiro). Zito is an option, but he's got a west coast bias i believe. The Moose stays in NY I bet. Eaton is another injury waiting to happen.. the guy is always hurt.

Marquis is a solid pitcher, nothing special, but he's average. Thats something I wouldn't dismiss, as we need average and above pitchers on this squad. Lilly would also be intriguing in that respect.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I know Mulder, Zito, and Schmidt are the sexy targets, but all of them would command mucho dinero. Instead, we could probably get Adam Eaton for a pretty cheap contract. He's missed all of this season with an injury, but he had a pretty decent 2005 season. He's a ground ball pitcher, and while he's not exactly a strikeout pitcher, he doesn't allow many walks too.

Get him for a relatively cheap contract, and he could be a good bang for your buck. Add him to a rotation with Arroyo and Harang, our pitching staff becomes even more respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    I don't think Zito is a #1 starter. He doesn't have good K numbers and his ERA the last few years has been in the very high 3 range. While Schmidt has been injury prone, when he is healthy he has overpowering stuff. I would offer JS 13 mill a year for 3 years at the most. Zito IMO should get a contract that owes a little more money than Milton got, even though I know someone will brake the bank on him.

Didn't I hear the other day that Zito had fired his agent and hired Sata...I mean, Boras?

If so, it sounds as if he's going for the gold.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Zito is a year younger than Burnett, and has a Cy Young collecting dust on his mantle.

I'd say for him and Boras Burnett's contract will be a starting point in negotiations this winter.

What actually worries me a little about this coming off season is the real possibility of a big jump in baseball salary "inflation".

Peter McGowan came out today and hinted that Barry Bonds days as a Giant are over. He's got a huge stadium to pay for - and a history of overpaying for medicore pitching. Who's to say that San Fran won't come up guns ablazin' with the free'd up Bonds money ($22+ Mil) and overspend on a few of those guys. Supposedly the Blue Jays still have money to burn. If they get a taste of a wild card hunt they could easily throw more money at a Zito type, especially after having pitching issues this year. The Dodgers were big players last year, and will have Eric Gagne's money to spend, even after paying someone else to take Odalis Perez's last contract year. Clemens won't be back with the Astros and Petitte's deal is up so, so that's another $30+ mil in the pot that could be spent on pitching. The Cubs will want to spend big after this season's disaster. And what will George Steinbrenner do when the Yanks crash out again?

I know everyone is doing the simple math of X(Reds 2006 salary load) - Y(Albatrosses shed for 2007) = Z($ for free agents) with the obvious result of Z being => Big time free agents.

But the very real possibility exists for a perfect storm for yet another massive salary jump in 2007. After several years of flat-lining thanks to the A-Rod/Kevin Brown/Darren Dreifort knee jerk, Major League Baseball is on an upturn again, and upturn's pose bad news for mid level clubs fighting for free agents like the Reds.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, but Reds fans shouldn't get their hopes too high about big time signings.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 07-16-2006 at 05:50 AM.

David Dellucci.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?