Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Kearns/Lopez trade = dollars for FA's?

Does Kearns/Lopez trade = dollars for FA's?

Obviously Kearns and Lopez aren't going to bring in record contracts; however, I do believe both were in line for significantly larger deals, no? Thus, does the Reds freeing up their potential 2007 salaries and beyond allow the organization to sign some big name free agents at season's end? If yes, who are some potential targets for the Reds?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does Kearns/Lopez trade = dollars for FA's?

definately, it gives Wayne more room in the offseason. Kearnsy and Lopez if I'm correct would have made more next year. The new regime has made it clear pitching is the number one priority. The goals of the new regime this year are to inspire fan interest enough to get the fans interested again. Then in the offseason strengthen the pitching enough to make a serious run at the playoffs. Also Deno at AAA had paid his dues and should fill in nicely for Kearns. The SS trade of Lopez leaves me stratching my head unless his errors wore out his welcome here.

Absolutely.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I think it comes down to that Krivsky and ownership did not believe that Kearns and Lopez were $5 million ball players, which both will at least be next year. They will both get BIG raises next year through arbitration. Can't argue with them on that point...

They both looked good last night in their debuts.

NOT.

I think the Reds might be active in this offseason's free-agent market. It will be expensive to land a good (#1 or #2 quality) starting pitcher on the open market, but Bob Castellini seems to be willing to spend money. I would not be surprised if the Reds sign someone pretty decent this winter.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like when the Reds traded Kearns it was like they traded Juan Encarnacion. Maybe Kearns numbers are a little better but there is really not that much of a difference. Good solid numbers and a team would be lucky to have them but still nothing spectacular.

Denorfia has alot of energy. He is fast and made a bullet of a throw to the shortstop from right field last night that held a runner from advancing. It was a frozen rope throw. I was impressed with his effort last night.

I think that's a huge part of it. They should save about $10MM next year paying Phillips (or someone else) and Denorfia instead of Lopez and Kearns.

So, in 6 months when this becomes Kearns and Lopez for two decent middle relievers PLUS Zito, Mulder or Schmidt, the deal will look downright brilliant.

Hopefully the FO will use this extra money and sign a pitcher we already have in the fold in Aaron Harang to a long term deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed
    They both looked good last night in their debuts.

NOT.
    Guys we got back didn't look so hot either
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by terminator
    I think that's a huge part of it. They should save about $10MM next year paying Phillips (or someone else) and Denorfia instead of Lopez and Kearns.

So, in 6 months when this becomes Kearns and Lopez for two decent middle relievers PLUS Zito, Mulder or Schmidt, the deal will look downright brilliant.
    Exactly. People are upset because the Reds traded a barely above average outfielder who it turns out has been a clubhouse distraction and a one season offensive wonder at shortstop who can't field and got two very good relievers to shore up the league's worst relief pitching staff. One of those may be the Reds future closer. That's not even counting the others they got in the trade. The money will be there for another pitcher next year. Imagine this. Aaron Harang, who is having a great season, could be the Reds #3 starter next year. I'm excited by that.

Quote Originally Posted by reds77
    Obviously Kearns and Lopez aren't going to bring in record contracts; however, I do believe both were in line for significantly larger deals, no? Thus, does the Reds freeing up their potential 2007 salaries and beyond allow the organization to sign some big name free agents at season's end? If yes, who are some potential targets for the Reds?
    The flaw in this reasoning is the assumption that the Reds will operate with an increased payroll next year. Next year our payroll was due to shoot up due to Kearns and Lopez (I'm sure there are others players arb. eligible as well) so this deal doesn't really free up money so much as prevent a dramatic payroll increase.

In past regimes this would stirctly be a salary dump but Castellini has given different impressions. Hopefully, he'll increase payroll by the 10-15 mill we need to shore up the pitching.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead
    definately, it gives Wayne more room in the offseason. Kearnsy and Lopez if I'm correct would have made more next year. The new regime has made it clear pitching is the number one priority. The goals of the new regime this year are to inspire fan interest enough to get the fans interested again. Then in the offseason strengthen the pitching enough to make a serious run at the playoffs.
    It's nice, isn't it?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky
    The flaw in this reasoning is the assumption that the Reds will operate with an increased payroll next year. Next year our payroll was due to shoot up due to Kearns and Lopez (I'm sure there are others players arb. eligible as well) so this deal doesn't really free up money so much as prevent a dramatic payroll increase.

In past regimes this would stirctly be a salary dump but Castellini has given different impressions. Hopefully, he'll increase payroll by the 10-15 mill we need to shore up the pitching.
    I think Castellini will do whatever it takes.

Turn Off Ads?