Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Pitcher On The Horizon?

Re: Starting Pitcher On The Horizon?

Anyone be willing to take a chance on Brett Myers? He'd be great in the 3rd spot in our rotation, but he had that incident of spousal abuse in June.

If we were willing to take him on, would you trade Dave Ross for him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Smoltz would turn us down...10-5
    What would be his motivation to turn the Reds down at this point? He has said maybe it might be best if he was traded. He isn't in a race now and is a free agent at the end of the season and can go where ever he choses that will have him then.

He might have reasons he would not come to the Reds; but on the other hand I'd think he would look at their situation and feel he might well be the piece that could put the Reds into the playoffs this year which he is not going to be unless he leaves the Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Anyone be willing to take a chance on Brett Myers? He'd be great in the 3rd spot in our rotation, but he had that incident of spousal abuse in June.

If we were willing to take him on, would you trade Dave Ross for him?
    yes!
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09
    yes!
    Is that really lopsided or something? I was just going by what the guy at mlbtraderumors said:

"Myers won't bring a Josh Beckett-sized bounty, but even with the baggage you'd think the Phils could get one good prospect in return."

I thought since they won't really have a catcher for next year they might be willing to go for the 29 year old Ross instead. Not a prospect, but has shown a lot this year and is several years away from being a free agent.

Send Larue for myers and make ross our everyday starter. The risk is that myers is a huge cancer in the clubhouse and a horrible person.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13
    Send Larue for myers and make ross our everyday starter. The risk is that myers is a huge cancer in the clubhouse and a horrible person.
    The Phillies wouldn't do that. They might not even do the trade if it were for Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio
    What would be his motivation to turn the Reds down at this point? He has said maybe it might be best if he was traded. He isn't in a race now and is a free agent at the end of the season and can go where ever he choses that will have him then.
    If he wants to go anywhere it's going to be Detroit, we may see the Reds as top flight contenders but the Braves are only 5.5 out of the WC, he may say if that's the best they can do why not just say where I am?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Let me throw this idea out:

Reds trade Claussen and LaRue to the Phillies for RHP Jon Lieber and catcher Mike Liberthal.

The thinking: Even though the Reds don't need Lieberthal, they take his remainder of his contract in order to get out of LaRue's contract come 2007. Lieberthal will be a free agent at the end of the season. Can we say Claussen is the Austin Kearns of the pitching staff? A guy who hasn't lived up to his hype yet we keep waiting.
    I'd do it. If you are getting the career Lieber your getting a 200 IP 4.00 ERA pitcher. If his numbers this year are a sign that the slide has begun then I guess thats the risk you are taking.

If we got any starter to upgrade the Mays/Claussen spot in return for LaRue and we cleared LaRue's contract for '07 I am doing the happy dance no matter who it is.

larue and bray/majewski for garcia or vazquez
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13
    The risk is that myers is a huge cancer in the clubhouse and a horrible person.
    I'm betting Myers will be dealt a pretty severe penalty for striking a woman and dragging her by the hair. Domestic abuse is a hot political issue at this time and this is a high profile case. If the DA is up for re-election and this case comes to trial in October...he is toast.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Loriano would be nice.

I'm going to get off the drugs now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    I'm betting Myers will be dealt a pretty severe penalty for striking a woman and dragging her by the hair. Domestic abuse is a hot political issue at this time and this is a high profile case. If the DA is up for re-election and this case comes to trial in October...he is toast.
    Gosh, I hadn't heard the details.

However, seeing as how his wife bailed him out of jail, I don't think they'll be throwing the book at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Gosh, I hadn't heard the details.

However, seeing as how his wife bailed him out of jail, I don't think they'll be throwing the book at him.
    I guess I don't understand your logic. Anyway, this is from an article about the case.

Myers faces a maximum of 2 ½ years in jail. There is no minimum sentence.

He was released on $200 bail, which Kim Myers posted. Team sources indicated that she remained in Boston.

Brett Myers was arraigned yesterday morning and was released after posting bail on two conditions: that he have no contact with Kim Myers that is not initiated by her and that he could be sent to jail immediately for 60 days if he is arrested again. His pretrial hearing date was set for Aug. 4 but he is not required to attend.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

He also spent 3 weeks in counseling provided through the MLB Employee Assistance Program.

Very stupid, idiotic, and wrong thing to do. However, I still doubt he misses any time because he's incarcerated.

I'd doubt you'd see the Reds trade one of there catchers right now. If I'm not mistaken, Ross is going on the DL or will be DL'ed soon.

Turn Off Ads?