Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion with Eddie Taubensee

Discussion with Eddie Taubensee

This coming monday I'll be playing golf with Eddie in the Austin Kearns 2nd annual Celebrity Golf Scramble in Lexington. Only problem is Ears was traded and can't be there. However Doug Flenn has come up big for us and got several other celebrites to take the place of Austin and the current Reds he was bringing.

I thought I would take my mini tape recorder and conduct an interview for the Reds Zone, if Eddie is up to it. What do you all think?

Please list any questions you might have for Eddie and I'll choose several. Questions about the 99 season, team mates, etc.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RisingReds

Re: Playing golf with Eddie Taubensee

ask him how stupid he thinks it is that ray knight had him pinch hit with a full count, lol.

Eddie was the first catcher I saw wearing the hockey goalie type catchers mask/helmet. Ask him how he liked it compared to the conventional ones before that.

Ask him who was his favorite Minor and Major League manager he played for.

THANKS. and have fun.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Special Ed. Wife was pretty cool too. Ask him about John McSherry. I've always wanted to hear his side of that fateful opening day. Does he ever think about that day?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Special Ed. Wife was pretty cool too. Ask him about John McSherry. I've always wanted to hear his side of that fateful opening day. Does he ever think about that day?
    That's a good one. Unfortunately, it has been the only Opening Day I've been able to attend. I still feel ill-at-ease whenever I think about it. I can only imagine what it was like being right there. A very sad event.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

ash him if mo sanford should have been the next wayne simpson?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    That's a good one. Unfortunately, it has been the only Opening Day I've been able to attend. I still feel ill-at-ease whenever I think about it. I can only imagine what it was like being right there. A very sad event.
    Not to hijack this thread, but I felt the same way for a couple years, especially on opening day. I mean, I've never seen a man die before, and hopefully never will again. It wasn't until my next opening day, 5 years later, that I started associating happy memories with OD.

Get out to OD if you can next year, maybe...

I've played with Sabo and Browning. They're both pretty good. Sabo left after 9 holes though because he couldn't take the beating I was giving him . I like Chris though. Nice guy. And Browing is a cool dude. Very, very laid back and doesn't act like he's anything special.

Oh, I almost forgot. Over 10 years ago, when I worked at Sharon Woods G.C. I played with Dave Parker a few times. Nice guy too. Funny. Not very good at golf, but when he connected, good night did it go far. I bet he could hit the ball 350 yards or so. No lie. The problem is, if he doesn't hit it straight the ball will be lost because it's so far off line. He's good for one, maybe two straight ones a round.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

He was always one of my absolute favorites, my wife likes him a lot too. Ask him if he remembers throwing me a ball in Milwaukee in 1999? He and Stynes were playing catch after a rain delay and when they were done, I yelled "Eddie" and he threw me the ball. I'm sure it was a great moment for him as well. Seriously, his 1999 season was his best by a pretty fair margin. You could ask what he attributes that to, along with several other Reds who had outstanding seasons? You could also ask how his back is these days? Also, it might be interesting to ask about his experiences with Pro Athletes Outreach.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

discussion with Eddie Taubensee

I got to play golf today with Eddie in a fundraiser for SCORE International. SCORE is a Christian organization that ministers to College Basball players, and missionary work to child baseball players in Central America.

Here is how the informal interview went:

What are you doing now Eddie?
    "I live in Orlando with my wife and 3 boys. All under 12."

Are you working?
    "Ya, I work and travel along with my wife to minister to MLB players and their wives. I encourage them to be an example on and off the field."

Do you see much baseball?
    "ya I get the MLB package on TV and catch as much Reds games as I can."

Do you miss baseball?
    "Well, I do and don't, I love spending time with my sons, you only get one shot to raise them the right way."

What do you remember about Opening Day 1996?
    " Wow...McSherry was going in to see the doctor the next day for chest pain. He said, "wait a minute Eddie, just wait." He walked away and colapsed. I was the last person to talk to him. Marge was in the Umpires room and wanted the game to go on. One of the umpires grabbed her by the throat. It was pretty intense."

What was your signing bonus out of High School?
    " I was a 6th round pick by the Indians, and got $20,000. My dad bought 2 $10,000 C.D.'s with it."

What about your pension?
    "I will get a full pension at age 45. I got my ten years in."

What was your favorite hit?
    Spring training, we (astros) played the Rangers, and I got a single off of Nolan Ryan...pretty cool."

Favorite Home Run?
    "8th inning, against the Cards, two run homerun in the reds seats."

What are your thoughts about the 1995 playoffs?
    "We had a chance to win both games at home against Atlanta. Reggie had a bad series. Would not bunt or was not told to bunt by Johnson when we had guys on 1st and 2nd, I think in the 8th. I can't knock Reggie. He had a great year and we would not have been there if it were not for him."

What are your thoughts about the 1999 season and the 1 game playoff?
    "Should not have gotten that far. We blew the 2nd game against the Brewers. If we win 2 out of three, we win the Wild Card. We had a great team that year. Vaughn was a great leader. We were only .500 in mid May and won 96 games. We really thought we were better than the Mets. We thought we were destine to win...guess not."

Where did you meet your wife?
    "While playing minor league ball in Canada, I got the 3rd base coach to ask this girl out for me during the 7th inning. Been married 13 years."

What about coaching?
    "Just my boys. My wife wants me to get "into" coaching but I don't. I enjoy being with my sons. My wife loved going to the games."

What is a day like on the road?
    "Sleep until 12, get up and eat...go to the park." Other guys bragged about cheating on thier wives, but that was not for me. They all got cought and lived a life of lies."

What about steroids?
    "Honestly never heard about it. I had no idea how many guys were doing it."

What about Boone's numbers in Seattle?
    "He did get pretty big didn't he? I think he retired at just the right time."

How about hitting .313 in 1999?
    "Ya, I guess it was a pretty big deal for a catcher to do it. I think they told me I was the only the 2nd Reds catcher to do it, and it was not Bench."

Why was it over in 2001?
    "To much pain after those back surgeries." I got released by the Indians, but they had to pay me until 2003." They new I had surgery, and sign me to 2 more years anyway."

Eddie was a great guy to play with and a true gentleman. He rented clubs and only plays 4 times a year and played great. Real Athelete. Still in great shape. It was a pleasure.

Note: This comes from my memory of the conversation. I've never got to spend time with a real major leaguer, so I soked up every work. It's pretty acturate word for word.
    Last edited by George Foster; 07-17-2006 at 10:11 PM.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Re: Discussion with Eddie Taubensee

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great experience
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Wow...what I would give to just talk with Easy Ed. What a guy!!!!!

Thanks for the interview George
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Believer since 1981

I would like to hear more about marge getting grabbed by the throat by an umpire. I had never heard that before, thats pretty unbelievable.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    I would like to hear more about marge getting grabbed by the throat by an umpire. I had never heard that before, thats pretty unbelievable.
    Are you wondering if Eddie is a liar or that the story itself it just wild?

Turn Off Ads?