Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 years ago... The King Died

30 years ago... The King Died

30 years... THIRTY years.

Jeez... where were you?

I heard about it when I got home from soccer two a days, Pedro was at a friends house and his friend mother broke down into tears.

I had a friend whose father had a black velvet painting of Elvis and a bust of Charles Bronson, they were the centerpieces of the shag carpeted and wood paneled basement that smelled like Forest Hill Master Blend.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 30 years ago... The King Died

Wasn't he set to play a concert in Lexington when he died? I want to say my mom had tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Wasn't he set to play a concert in Lexington when he died? I want to say my mom had tickets.
    Yes he was. IIRC he was going to be the first concert at Rupp Arena.
    I was a just a few days away from starting my freshman in high school.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    My neighbor at the time had tickets - she was beside herself for a few days...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    My neighbor at the time had tickets - she was beside herself for a few days...
    I bet.

My mom LOVED Elvis.

(one of those 'wilting teenagers', I am sure )

For a Level Playing Field

Strange, but I can distinctly remember when the news came across that Elvis was found dead. This of course was before the internet or cable TV existed in all households.

I was getting ready to go to my 6th-grade football practice (around 5:30 pm on a weekday). The TV was on and they ran a line at the bottom of the screen saying that Elvis was found dead in his home. I was the only one in the room. My Dad was changing out of his work clothes to take me to practice and my Mom was cleaning up in the kitchen after supper. I yelled out to both of them that Elvis was dead. They gave me the old "what is the punchline" look and act. I told them that I was serious and to come in to see it at the bottom of the TV screen (it kept running over and over). We were not big Elvis fans or anything, but we were all shocked.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I was in junior high then. We'd made a weekend trip to Nashville and heard about it in the car right after a day at the old Opryland theme park. If we'd hung around Opryland a little longer I'm sure we'd have seen all heck break loose. Nashville was, and is, second only to Memphis in Elvis reverence. I think my mother shed a few tears that day. Of course, I didn't understand; the Elvis I knew was the cartoon character in the sequined jumpsuits. In the hotel room that night, watching film clips and eulogies on TV and having my parents tell me about the Elvis of 1956, I started to get it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

My Aunt had tickets to see him in Lex. I recall when she heard she broke down in tears.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

I was 4 at the time.

Was probably throwing a ball around the backyard, or digging in the sandbox.

Wearing, of course, my Sears Roebuck Toughskins.

IIRC, one of his last shows was in Cincinnati.

I saw Elvis at UD Arena in 1976 and was disappointed. He was running on fumes by then. He joked around songs a lot, gave abbreviated versions of his songs, let his backup singers carry him, was hoarse and off-key, etc etc.

Not the vital classic black leather Elvis. The King is gone, but he's not forgotten.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

That was the very day I started my first job in my current career.

All the women in the office were bawling.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    IIRC, one of his last shows was in Cincinnati.

I saw Elvis at UD Arena in 1976 and was disappointed. He was running on fumes by then. He joked around songs a lot, gave abbreviated versions of his songs, let his backup singers carry him, was hoarse and off-key, etc etc.

Not the vital classic black leather Elvis. The King is gone, but he's not forgotten.
    Elvis's last show was at the Omni in Atlanta, where a plaque was erected in the hallway, I always paid a visit to it when I was at the Omni. At the Star Bar in Atlanta they have an Elvis shrine enclosed in an old bank vault (the building was bank) you may view the shrine through a plexiglass window.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I was -3 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Elvis's last show was at the Omni in Atlanta, where a plaque was erected in the hallway, I always paid a visit to it when I was at the Omni. At the Star Bar in Atlanta they have an Elvis shrine enclosed in an old bank vault (the building was bank) you may view the shrine through a plexiglass window.
    Actually Elvis's last show was at Market Sqaure Arena in Indianapolis. The venue has been torn down but there is still a plaque there stating this.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Actually Elvis's last show was at Market Sqaure Arena in Indianapolis. The venue has been torn down but there is still a plaque there stating this.
    You're right... hmm the Omni Plaque must have just been his last Atlanta appearance.

Last show

Also Spake Zarathustra (opening)
    See See Rider
    I Got A Woman/Amen
    Love Me
    Fairytale
    You Gave Me A Mountain
    Jailhouse Rock
    O Sole Mio/It's Now Or Never
    Little Sister
    Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
    Release Me
    I Can't Stop Loving You
    Bridge Over Troubled Water
    (band introductions)
    Early Morning Rain
    What'd I Say
    Johnny B. Goode
    (solos by band members Larrie Londin: drums, Jerry Scheff: bass, Tony Brown: piano)
    I Really Don't Want To Know
    (solo by the backing Joe Guercio Orchestra)
    Hurt
    Hound Dog
    (Elvis introduces various people from the stage)
    Can't Help Falling In Love
    (closing vamp)

Turn Off Ads?