Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was this the big trade...

Re: Was this the big trade...

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    Two more years of Griff, just two more. Then he will be gone just in time to get out of the way of the Boss.
    I realize that Jr. isn't the player he used to be, and his OBP is low (right now), but he's still producing. His career OBP is .374 I gotta believe by the end of the season he'll get it up to around .350 and probably drive in about 95 runs. You make it sound like he's horrible.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    The guy has a career 3.22 ERA. His worst "bounce" was a 3.59 ERA in 2004. They'd have to be stupid to trade him for just 1 prospect. Even if that prospect is Homer Bailey.
    I agree Webb's only 26, I think, and he is one of the best ground ball pitchers I've ever seen. I would love to see him pitching in Cincy even if it means Bailey. Or Bailey and Votto, like some have said.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    I realize that Jr. isn't the player he used to be, and his OBP is low (right now), but he's still producing. His career OBP is .374 I gotta believe by the end of the season he'll get it up to around .350 and probably drive in about 95 runs. You make it sound like he's horrible.
    How long can you wait for an old player to regain the form of his youth, or even the health of his youth? For what he is being paid, and even more importantly the percentage of team budget, he is not producing enough. I will enjoy the bright spots, but color me disappointed no matter WHAT happens in these next 2.5 years if Junior's option for 2009 is picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanfalcon
    Couldn't Tejeda be a free agent if he is traded in the middle of a multi-year contract? Would it really be worth trading for him for just a few months?
    Unless Tejada has a special contract clause (which I doubt), if he's traded to the Reds, at the end of the year, he can demand a trade. So the Reds would be able to flip him for more talent. So, that's not a huge problem to worry about.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Unless Tejada has a special contract clause (which I doubt), if he's traded to the Reds, at the end of the year, he can demand a trade. So the Reds would be able to flip him for more talent. So, that's not a huge problem to worry about.
    Whether he would demand a trade or opt for free agency probably comes down to whether he thinks he could get more more in the long run by doing so. He's got a pretty big contract as it is. I am sure his agent would take a long look at the market before advising him to dump it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dicken
    Griffey and Dunn won't be traded.

Griffey will finish his career in Cincinnati. He makes like 11 million or so a year, and he has like 4 more years on his contract. So, trading him wouldn't make sense on any behalf's part.
    Griffey is signed through 08 with a 14M Club option, 4M buyout for 09

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    he is pretty bad this year.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

So I'm curious...

Why all the manlove for Homer Bailey?

I was schooled on Joey Votto (thanks to those of you opening my eyes to a potential future 1B for the Reds!), but I'm not sold on Homer Bailey at all. Maybe I need another prospect lesson to realize what I can't see about Homer Bailey, at this point in his development I don't understand why he's seemingly deemed untouchable.

What is it about Homer Bailey that some of you think makes him the answer to some of our future rotation questions? On his current time table, I'd be surprised if he made an impact for the Reds until the 2008 season at the earliest, most likely the 2009 season.

So, fellow Members of the Board, I ask you, what is so special about Homer Bailey, and why shouldn't we trade him for something that can help us in 2007, rather than him maybe helping us in 2009?

For the record, I still have him going the Howington/Gruler route.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    So, fellow Members of the Board, I ask you, what is so special about Homer Bailey, and why shouldn't we trade him for something that can help us in 2007, rather than him maybe helping us in 2009?
    Because he's a future ace starter and those are: too expensive for a small market club like the Reds to acquire through free agency; and impossible to acquire in a trade without giving up multiple quality players in return.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Because he's a future ace starter and those are: too expensive for a small market club like the Reds to acquire through free agency; and impossible to acquire in a trade without giving up multiple quality players in return.
    But what makes him a future ace starter? Same was said about Howington and Gruler, and I think Howington is bagging groceries, and I think Gruler is pumping gas...

Who's to say he won't be a back of the rotation guy like Elizardo Ramirez?

Wallflower

But what makes him a future ace starter? Same was said about Howington and Gruler, and I think Howington is bagging groceries, and I think Gruler is pumping gas...

Who's to say he won't be a back of the rotation guy like Elizardo Ramirez?
    Homer Bailey was a first-round selection like Howington and Gruler, but look at these minor league numbers.

Howington: 22-35 4.08 ERA, (2-10 4.69 ERA in AA)

Gruler: 2-4 5.36 ERA (never made it to AA)

Bailey: 15-10 3.63 ERA 10.1 K/9 (4-0 0.75 ERA in AA)

Homer Bailey after 1 1/2 seasons of professional baseball was invited to Spring Training. In ST, Bailey pitched 7 1/3 innings, allowed 2 runs and struck out 10. Nearly every Reds story has a note of Bailey's latest performance and Narron joking that Krivsky won't let him see it (because of how well Bailey is doing). Bailey has been dominating AA hitters and was selected in the Futures game.

At this point the difference is injuries. Ty and Chris spent less time wearing the "ace" label than they did wearing Ace bandages. Homer, by contrast, has been healthy.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by uteroasis
    Homer Bailey was a first-round selection like Howington and Gruler, but look at these minor league numbers.

Howington: 22-35 4.08 ERA, (2-10 4.69 ERA in AA)

Gruler: 2-4 5.36 ERA (never made it to AA)

Bailey: 15-10 3.63 ERA 10.1 K/9 (4-0 0.75 ERA in AA)

Homer Bailey after 1 1/2 seasons of professional baseball was invited to Spring Training. In ST, Bailey pitched 7 1/3 innings, allowed 2 runs and struck out 10. Nearly every Reds story has a note of Bailey's latest performance and Narron joking that Krivsky won't let him see it (because of how well Bailey is doing). Bailey has been dominating AA hitters and was selected in the Futures game.
    And right there, Reds Fans, is why I'm still not excited about Homer Bailey.

Being invited to ST means nothing to me as an A ball player, which IIRC was Bailey's level when invited to ST. Bailey's dominating AA hitters. Again, this is AA. Let him dominate AAA, and then maybe, just maybe I'll believe all the hype.

I can't be the only one that isn't buying into the Homer Bailey hype.

I can't be the only one that isn't buying into the Homer Bailey hype.
    Go Gators!

So I'm curious...

Why all the manlove for Homer Bailey?

I was schooled on Joey Votto (thanks to those of you opening my eyes to a potential future 1B for the Reds!), but I'm not sold on Homer Bailey at all. Maybe I need another prospect lesson to realize what I can't see about Homer Bailey, at this point in his development I don't understand why he's seemingly deemed untouchable.

What is it about Homer Bailey that some of you think makes him the answer to some of our future rotation questions? On his current time table, I'd be surprised if he made an impact for the Reds until the 2008 season at the earliest, most likely the 2009 season.

For the record, I still have him going the Howington/Gruler route.
    If you mean as a #1 or #2 starter than yes. He could very well come up in the bullpen at the end of this year and make an impact.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Turn Off Ads?