Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Explain DFA of Yan

Re: Explain DFA of Yan

standridge is infinitely worse

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it's been established quite a few times that the Reds bullpen is horrid. We just acquired some good young arms. Why are we worried about releasing Yan who is nearing his 40's and has a career ERA over 5.00?

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport
    standridge is infinitely worse
    I don't think that, but he has struggled mightily this year. But he is young and according to people who know he has great stuff.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 07-16-2006 at 02:19 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

1) Ross is not on the DL
    2) Standrige will go when Easy returns.
    3) Better for Yan, who did a decent job for the Reds, to be out on the market now, as early as possible, rather than when teams have made their moves. I think it may be a nod to Yan to get him out there now.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Yan is terrible. He pitched terribly for us, but received some good luck.

In 15 innings Yan gave up 4 HRs, struckout 8, and walked 7.

He was not going to keep maintaining that 3.60 ERA unless he kept getting lucky. 4 Hrs in 15 innings says it all. He is probably the worst guy we have trotted out from the pen this season (and that is saying something).
    Joe Mays says
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred
    Why would the Reds DFA Yan when Standridge could have been sent down?
    I thought that Standridge was also out of options, so he would have to be designated for assignment, too.

(Not that I am defending the decision to drop Yan. I would have kept Yan and designated Standridge. But it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Joe Mays says
    If he's not next then... well I need to keep my mouth shut!! Mays really is brutal. He's proof that if you just throw the ball over the plate, hitters WILL get themselves out.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred
    I still think the Reds could have worked it out to buy a few more weeks without DFA a pitcher with a 3.60 ERA.
    Forget the ERA, it's a very poor indicator of success over a small sample size. His DIPS ERA was well above 6, about 50% higher than Standridge's DIPS ERA.

Standridge has pitched much better than Yan this season.

I think they signed him to see if the coaches could change something in him to lessen the number of gopher balls he gives up. If it wasn't for the gopher balls, Yan is a heck of a reliever. As it turned out, the coaches couldn't change him, and they cut their losses early.

Another excellent move by Krivsky in his attempt to improve the organization. It cost him very little to try this.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Also ERA don't tell the story of runners Yan inherited and let score. I went to one game where he came in with the bases loaded and gave up a grand slam.

Wouldn't it be that Yan and Majic are essentially the same pitchers along with Coffey. They can make about 20 pitches with smoe heat and then they are out of puff. With Beslisle out Narron probably just needed his bullpen mix right.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Forget the ERA, it's a very poor indicator of success over a small sample size. His DIPS ERA was well above 6, about 50% higher than Standridge's DIPS ERA.

Standridge has pitched much better than Yan this season.
    DIPS ERA? C'mon, I think we're just making up stats now.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Can he be stopped?

I hate to do this, but Mays didn't look horrible the one time he came out of the pen. In comparison to the guy he replaced that is. BC was horrid that game, probably the worst day I could have picked to take my day out for his birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    I thought that Standridge was also out of options, so he would have to be designated for assignment, too.

(Not that I am defending the decision to drop Yan. I would have kept Yan and designated Standridge. But it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other.)
    Standridge has been outrighted once (this year, in fact) Therefore, he would have to clear waivers to be sent to AAA. Yes, I know he would clear waivers, but I just wanted to clarify his situation.

A team never needs to DFA a player (or D a player FA). Sometimes you must request waivers on a player, and when you do, you can DFA a player in order to clear a roster spot in your organization.

Turn Off Ads?