Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denorfia quote.....

Denorfia quote.....

"I looked when we sat down in the dugout and you start counting when you're going to be up," Denorfia said. "The situation was right there. I'm going to be up with the bases loaded, if I get up. It's going to be a tie game. I was preparing for it as soon as I got to the dugout."

This is the kind of comment that I love hearing from a player. He was looking ahead as soon as he hit the dugout. This is the kind of attitude that says a lot about a player. You may get more pop from the bat of Kearns, but you won't get the discipline and game awareness that you get from Denorfia. I'm glad he is finally getting his chance and I think he will become a fan favorite very soon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Denorfia quote.....

Imagine...

You were called to the majors three days ago. You've grounded out every time up tonight. You've caught heat from the doofuses in right field earlier because you didn't "get to the double in the corner soon enough." Your team is down 2-1 now. There are 2 outs. It's the bottom of the 9th. The bases are loaded. There are two strikes on you. And... it's your birthday!

Sheesh... clutch stuff there. Had it been me, I might've rolled over and died.

It's sad that we have to praise players for thinking like that. You'd like to think that every player is always that much into the game and wants to be up with the game on the line, but you know it's not true. I really don't see how you can play the game any other way.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

You know, what makes the whole thing possible is Denorfia's speed. The Rockies shortstop even said so. If Kearns hits that ball, it's game over, but b/c Deno can get down the line, he had to play it differently, causing him to let it get by him. I think that's what I'll like the most about Deno--the flat out hussle. Can't with the game without guys that play their butts off every night.

If Denorfia can just hit a little he is going to be a big assest to this team. He play flat out amazing defense, and has amazing range. I don't know if he is a leadoff man (he could be), but if he can just be a decent hitter he is going to be a starter on a Major League team.

It is a shame that his range is stuck in RF and not being used in CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by StRedlegs900
    You know, what makes the whole thing possible is Denorfia's speed. The Rockies shortstop even said so. If Kearns hits that ball, it's game over, but b/c Deno can get down the line, he had to play it differently, causing him to let it get by him. I think that's what I'll like the most about Deno--the flat out hussle. Can't with the game without guys that play their butts off every night.
    Austin Kearns had plenty of hussle. I don't think anyone can accuse Austin Kearns of not playing hard this season for the Reds.

As far as Deno is concerned, yes it turned out well, but he didn't do anything special. He grounded out to shortstop for the 4th time in the game. Barmes just made a boneheaded play and the Rockies manager Clint Hurdle made a boneheaded call by playing the infield back as far as he did.

It's a nice win, but it was more of the Rockies undoing than it was of the Reds doing. I will give Narron credit for making some good calls in the 9th.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    If Denorfia can just hit a little he is going to be a big assest to this team. He play flat out amazing defense, and has amazing range. I don't know if he is a leadoff man (he could be), but if he can just be a decent hitter he is going to be a starter on a Major League team.

It is a shame that his range is stuck in RF and not being used in CF.
    I hope he starts hitting with some pop, but it doesn't appear that he has any. I think he is going to be more of a singles hitter that can play some good defense. I don't think he has the arm of Kearns but he does appear to have more range.

As far as moving him to center, yes that would be a good idea, but where are you going to play Jr.? Denorfia would then have to cover 75% of the outfield due to lack of range at the corners. I think Deno will help Jr. a lot by staying in right field.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I hope he starts hitting with some pop, but it doesn't appear that he has any. I think he is going to be more of a singles hitter that can play some good defense. I don't think he has the arm of Kearns but he does appear to have more range.

As far as moving him to center, yes that would be a good idea, but where are you going to play Jr.? Denorfia would then have to cover 75% of the outfield due to lack of range at the corners. I think Deno will help Jr. a lot by staying in right field.
    He isn't a power hitter. He is a good defense CFer who is going to be a speed/singles guy. If you expect the power of Kearns it's not going to happen. He isn't a power guy and he really doesn't have near enough power to play COF, but luckily for us we have powerhitters in center and left.

Deno won't be playing CF until at least next year. I doubt Griffey moves during the offseason, so Deno will be stuck in RF until Griffey is traded or his contract runs out. Probably the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

in Denorfia, think of a more athletic and slightly more talented Brady Clark.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

As far as Deno is concerned, yes it turned out well, but he didn't do anything special. He grounded out to shortstop for the 4th time in the game. Barmes just made a boneheaded play and the Rockies manager Clint Hurdle made a boneheaded call by playing the infield back as far as he did.
    It's not so much what he did, but those words give an example of what type of player that he is. His mind is always on the situation at hand and what scenarios that may be presented to him. It's an old-school type of baseball mentality that is rare in today's players, who seem to be more concerned about what they are doing after the game than the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    That's exactly how I would describe him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    I still say the righty Mark Kotsay
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    It's not so much what he did, but those words give an example of what type of player that he is. His mind is always on the situation at hand and what scenarios that may be presented to him. It's an old-school type of baseball mentality that is rare in today's players, who seem to be more concerned about what they are doing after the game than the game itself.
    i disagree. most of the players are very professional. you have little basis to say something like this. it's what the media and some other would like you to believe, but the hundreds of games that I watch every year, tell me something totally different. You don't play baseball at the major league level for 200 days or more, every year, and not be somewhat dedicated to what you are doing.

If he hits, that's good, but I think some need to temper their expectations of Chris Denorfia. I hope that I am wrong, but I don't see him as anything other than a 4th outfielder for most teams.

i disagree. most of the players are very professional. you have little basis to say something like this. it's what the media and some other would like you to believe, but the hundreds of games that I watch every year, tell me something totally different. You don't play baseball at the major league level for 200 days or more, every year, and not be somewhat dedicated to what you are doing.

If he hits, that's good, but I think some need to temper their expectations of Chris Denorfia. I hope that I am wrong, but I don't see him as anything other than a 4th outfielder for most teams.
    Well, I just disagree with you. Maybe you see him as only a 4th outfielder and you have the right to your opinion......but please do not tell me I need to "temper" my expectations of any player.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    He isn't a power hitter. He is a good defense CFer who is going to be a speed/singles guy. If you expect the power of Kearns it's not going to happen. He isn't a power guy and he really doesn't have near enough power to play COF, but luckily for us we have powerhitters in center and left.

Deno won't be playing CF until at least next year. I doubt Griffey moves during the offseason, so Deno will be stuck in RF until Griffey is traded or his contract runs out. Probably the latter.
    He's got more pop than you might think. Without seeing him right now I can almost for certain say that he is still having some jittery AB's. Give him 30-40 more AB's and he will rake. Brady Clark II with more speed.

If you watch very closely between innings he may even rip off his shirt and show you this cool "S" emblem he wears when he's not playing baseball.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?