• Hit

61 59.22%
  • Error

42 40.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit or Error?

Hybrid View

Hit or Error?

Do you think Denorfia's two run RBI should be a hit or an error? Not to take away the pleasure from being the game hero, but look again as a non-biased fan and tell me what you think...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

Re: Hit or Error?

Barmes had to charge the ball because of Denorfia's speed allowing the ball to get by him. If he would have backed off and fielded it cleanly, I believe he would still have had an infield hit.
    Last edited by Phil in BG; 07-16-2006 at 11:08 AM.

Single, E6 allowing the second run to score?

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon
    I AGREE.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Error... but the circumstances defined this it. Bottom 9th, bases loaded and the batter hustling down to 1st base. You only need one out and the game is won. His thinking was ahead of his glove work on that play.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 16-14
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

That's what I say too.

I am sure the official scorer wanted to score that an error but he did not want to face the wrath of Chris Denorfia.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I am sure the official scorer wanted to score that an error but he did not want to face the wrath of Chris Denorfia.
    I agree, and this is a problem in Major League Baseball. If Selig et al are truly as concerned with the sanctity of the game's written historical record, they will take steps to standardize official scoring around the league and assure autonomy of the scorers from the players.

One idea would be to cut down the number of official scorers to 15 (plus alternates) and have them travel with the umpiring crews. Yes, this would cost more money in travel and salary headcount, but would be worth it. Further, if baseball ever elects to take on instant replay, this person could double in that capacity.

I think that ball is an error. It's not fair to Brian Fuentes that he was charged with two earned runs.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    It's not fair to Brian Fuentes that he was charged with two earned runs.
    Considering he walked one guy and hit 2 others, I don't have alot of sympathy for Mr. Fuentes. He gave himself no margin of error. You'll lose alot of games if you tempt faith too much. That's the "law of averages" in baseball.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

That's what I'd say. If the bases were empty, it probably would've been just a hit. Even had he fielded it, it would've been tough. But the run scored because he didn't come up with the ball.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't believe it can be ruled both a hit and an error because it was a single play. It's either one or the other, and in this case it was correctly ruled a hit because Denorfia would have beaten the throw even if Barmes fields it cleanly.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    I don't believe it can be ruled both a hit and an error because it was a single play. It's either one or the other, and in this case it was correctly ruled a hit because Denorfia would have beaten the throw even if Barmes fields it cleanly.

I believe you could rule it both, as a single if you think he would have beaten the throw would only allows runners to advance one base, and the error allows the runner from second to score.

But I agree with Kitty and would call it an error.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

a major league shortstop should have caught the ball. would he have thrown him out? that's another question.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Stat geek...and proud

Yep. That's the way I see it.

Yes you can.

You see guys lay down bunt all the time that get thrown away that they rule a single an error allowing the runner to move up a base.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?