103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hit

61 59.22%
  • Error

42 40.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit or Error?

Hit or Error?

Do you think Denorfia's two run RBI should be a hit or an error? Not to take away the pleasure from being the game hero, but look again as a non-biased fan and tell me what you think...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?
    This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

Re: Hit or Error?

Barmes had to charge the ball because of Denorfia's speed allowing the ball to get by him. If he would have backed off and fielded it cleanly, I believe he would still have had an infield hit.
    Last edited by Phil in BG; 07-16-2006 at 11:08 AM.

Single, E6 allowing the second run to score?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I say single....the ball took a big old funny hop on Barmes....It was up at his chest, and when he went to field it, I think he thought it would be a smaller bounce the way he was using his glove (underhand style).

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon
    I AGREE.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Error... but the circumstances defined this it. Bottom 9th, bases loaded and the batter hustling down to 1st base. You only need one out and the game is won. His thinking was ahead of his glove work on that play.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

That's what I say too.

That's what I'd say. If the bases were empty, it probably would've been just a hit. Even had he fielded it, it would've been tough. But the run scored because he didn't come up with the ball.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I am sure the official scorer wanted to score that an error but he did not want to face the wrath of Chris Denorfia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I don't believe it can be ruled both a hit and an error because it was a single play. It's either one or the other, and in this case it was correctly ruled a hit because Denorfia would have beaten the throw even if Barmes fields it cleanly.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I vote Error
    Big props to Wise for scoring from 2nd base.

If he would of field it cleanly, I think it would of been a very close play at first, but Denorfia would of been out. (IMO) But there is no way anyone can say for sure. So it just doesn't matter and let's move on. A ground ball to the SS when the game is on line doesn't say "clutch" to me.

Who said it was clutch?

Can he be stopped?

I say hit. The throw to 1st would have been close, and Denorfia had already been in one bang-bang play that night. The first one was close, and might have been a hit (thats how Joe and Steve were portraying it), so I think Deno would get the benefit of the doubt the second time through, especially because it would only tie the game, not end it, and you don't want to be wrong on the last call of the game as an umpire.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    Who said it was clutch?
    Well, I don't know if people are joking or not about Denorfia. But they seem to have unrealistic expectation out of him.

I just said the "hit" was not clutch, more lucky than anything else. I don't know anyone that says it was "clutch". Can I just state the obvious whitout getting the third degree?
    Last edited by RBA; 07-16-2006 at 11:27 AM.

Turn Off Ads?