Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparisons for Jay Bruce??

Comparisons for Jay Bruce??

I've seen Bruce often compared to Larry Walker. Bruce strikes me as much more athletic than Walker and a better fielder. The only player that strikes me as having a similiar tool set as Bruce is Vernon Wells. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Comparisons for Jay Bruce??

Ive seen him a half dozen times now and yes Walker with speed is what Im seeing. He hasnt drove the ball to left the annoucers say he's working on that, but he'll get better. He's a contact guy, thats what I like most about him.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

The thought of Deno, Bruce, and Dunn gives me chills.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    Bruce strikes me as much more athletic than Walker and a better fielder.
    I'm guessing you don't remember Larry Walker when he was a young pup.

Larry was one of the most athletic young OF in all of MLB. He was a high percentage base stealer who could swipe 20-30 bags, leg out oodles of extra base hits, track down just about anything in RF, and had a howitzer attached to his shoulder. Larry has six well deserved gold gloves and was among the most feared RF in MLB (both at the plate and in the field) before age slowed him down.

If Jay Bruce even has a smidgen of the athleticism and talent of a young Larry Walker, he will be one heck of a player.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 07-16-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    I'm guessing you don't remember Larry Walker when he was a young pup.

Larry was one of the most athletic young OF in all of MLB. He was a high percentage base stealer who could swipe 20-30 bags, leg out oodles of extra base hits, track down anything just about anything in RF, and had a howitzer attached to his shoulder. Larry has six well deserved gold gloves and was among the most feared RF in MLB (both at the plate and in the field) before age slowed him down.

If Jay Bruce even has a smidgen of the athleticism and talent of a young Larry Walker, he will be one heck of a player.
    Amen to that brotha! Living in Colorado, I got to see plenty of Larry Walker. The guy was absolutely amazing in his prime. He could def. do it all, including gunning out runners at 1st who thought they had singled. If Bruce can be Larry Walker part deux, we'll all be very very fortunate. He'll be what we all thought Austin Kearns should have been.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Walker's problem was that he was injury-prone. Otherwise I'm echoing the rest of you on his ability to do it all.

I once saw Walker throw a Dodger out at the plate from about two steps in front of the warning track. It was absolutely amazing. The nondescript runner, looked up and shook his head.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I once saw Larry Walker finger paint with 3 orphans in between the 3rd and 4th in Pittsburgh. Afterwords, words were exchanged over their quality of work and he ate them...

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    The thought of Deno, Bruce, and Dunn gives me chills.
    The thought of Griffey, Dunn, and Kearns gave me chills once.

If he can duplicate the 1997 version of Larry Walker, I will be very, very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    If he can duplicate the 1997 version of Larry Walker, I will be very, very happy.
    That might be asking a little bit much, given that Bruce won't be playing in Coors Field. I would be perfectly happy if he turns into the 1994 version of Walker.

As long as Jay knows how many outs there are when he catches a fly ball, the comparison to Walker is a good thing to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Walker's problem was that he was injury-prone. Otherwise I'm echoing the rest of you on his ability to do it all.
    Yes, that is true.. its a shame too.. becuase when he was on.. well - i'm not sure that there was really any better RF in baseball - aside from perhaps Vlady.. but he was defenitely awesome. I'm fortunate to have been able to watch him for quite a few years.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Yes, that is true.. its a shame too.. becuase when he was on.. well - i'm not sure that there was really any better RF in baseball - aside from perhaps Vlady.. but he was defenitely awesome. I'm fortunate to have been able to watch him for quite a few years.
    Vlad has never been the defensive player Walker was, with the possible exception of the arm. Walker was much more fundamentally sound all-around.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Vlad has never been the defensive player Walker was, with the possible exception of the arm. Walker was much more fundamentally sound all-around.
    The guy that plays RF in Seattle could be in that mix as well. He can D up.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Bruce's frame and swing remind me of Justin Morneau. It's hard to compare numbers this early in Bruce's career, but their power and patience has been pretty much identical in their first low A season.

Turn Off Ads?