Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

pat watkins was another classic pick but not as classic as john oliver or chat mottola, or even Lincoln Curtis

2. Turn Off Ads?

He is up to 360AB's between his time at Texas and his time at Billings. It may be fatigue or the adjustment from college to the minors either way I think he will be fine very small sample size to judge him on and make comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    Not really.

That says more about Bruce (that he's a freaking stud) than it says about Stubbs.

Do you think Cardinals fans were scared in 2001 because the rest of their prospects were older than Albert Pujols and Albert was already wrecking major leagers? Of course not. Albert's status as a freak of nature had no bearing on the rest of their prospects. The same can be said for Jay Bruce and the rest of the Reds minor league system.
    It's a little early to start the Bruce/Pujols comparisons. Unless Bruce is on HGH.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    It's a little early to start the Bruce/Pujols comparisons.
    It wasn't my intent to compare Bruce to Pujols. I was just trying to say that if we hold every prospect to the same standard as Bruce, 99% of them will fall short of that standard.

It wasn't my intent to compare Bruce to Pujols. I was just trying to say that if we hold every prospect to the same standard as Bruce, 99% of them will fall short of that standard.
    My original statement was that Bruce is much younger than Stubbs and ripping it up in a level above him. Stubbs has been flat out awful. Hopefully he will improve, but it seems like Billings is a step down from UT.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Stubbs has been flat out awful.
    Flat out awful?

A stud defensive CF who leads his league in SB, is posting a sterling 374 OBP, and has a respectable (but not fantastic) 744 OPS has been flat out awful?

Tough crowd.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 07-17-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Flat out awful?

A stud defensive CF who leads his league in SB, is posting a a sterling 374 OBP, and has a respectable (but not fantastic) 744 OPS has been flat out awful?

Tough crowd.
    Yup.

Wake me when his numbers contradict the scouting report that said he'd struggle making the switch from aluminum to wood. Until that happens, I stand by my claim that Drew Stubbs was a swing-and-a-miss pick by the Reds scouting brass.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Flat out awful?

A stud defensive CF who leads his league in SB, is posting a sterling 374 OBP, and has a respectable (but not fantastic) 744 OPS has been flat out awful?

Tough crowd.
    Evan Longoria, in the SS NY Penn league, hit .424 with 4 HRs and 11 RBI in 8 games. 1.366 OPS.

He then moved to High A, where he is currently hitting .339 with 5 HRs and 13 RBI in 15 games. 1.105 OPS.

That's the kind of damage I'd like to see (or at least somewhere in the vicinity of) when your 21 year old top 10 pick is playing against teenagers.

From BBTF ... I think we'll end up regretting passing on Lincecum.

#8 - Cincinnati Reds - CF Drew Stubbs

Crap swing. I reviewed his video more closely and discovered that his hands and his torso disconnect severely. In other words, his torso/hips/legs don’t really help him much in getting the bat moving towards the ball. When so much of the review is based on swing mechanics, it is easy to overlook the other parts of his game. OK, he looks like he’s a good athlete, so there’s hope. That said, I don’t like this pick here, not this high.

Grade: C-

Stubbs is hitting 247/374/370 in 92 plate appearances for the Billings Mustangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Whenever someone mentions Stubbs' OBP I feel compelled to point out that he has been hit by numerous pitches, padding that percentage quite a bit.
    what happens when he stops getting beaned and has to actually hit the ball just sayin. i was never a fan of this pick, in fact the exact opp, and though its early, im not feeling any better. we already have bj in the system, what is so much better about this guy that you would pass on college pitchers who can throw heat and are good

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Yup.

Wake me when his numbers contradict the scouting report that said he'd struggle making the switch from aluminum to wood. Until that happens, I stand by my claim that Drew Stubbs was a swing-and-a-miss pick by the Reds scouting brass.
    and a VERY BAD one at that. almost as bad as the hole in his swing

From the 7/17/06 Billings Gazette:
    "Stubbs, the first-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Reds this season, entered Sunday's game with a .221 average. Batting leadoff for the second straight game, the speedy 6-foot-3 center fielder knocked three doubles and scored three times. It was his first multi-hit game since June 30, a span of 10 starts, and he bumped his average up to .247.

"I've been struggling a little bit as of late and the past few days I've been hitting some balls hard, it seems, right at people," Stubbs said. "Things haven't been falling for me. Today was a nice turnaround. Hopefully, it's a turning point in the season for me where I can get things back on the right foot."

Tonight he ended up going 1 for 4 (single), 1 BB, and 1 k. He also had 2 stolen bases tonight, making 13 for the season, with 1 caught stealing for the season.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I would think that the coaches are making some adjustments to his swing. Maybe he is just working on his swing. It always gets worst before it gets better.

Stubbs has been playing everyday since probably January. Now, he's probably been doing that for a few years, but now he has the added pressure of being a first round draft pick and playing for money.

Give him time to settle in to professional baseball, and give him time to settle in to what is likely a new coaching style and outlook.

It takes time. Relax.

could I cut in and ask where to get the latest on the Bats and Mud Hens players? My kids are taking me to the game next week and I'd like to be up on the line up, thanks.

Turn Off Ads?