Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Drew Stubbs

Guy isn't hitting. Adjustment? Slump? Bust? Injury? Small sample size? Fatigue?

Would appreciate any knowledge or wisdom on the subject. Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Drew Stubbs

Sample size.

No offense intended, but some folks need to get a grip.

Stubbs hasn't lit the league on fire on his first 20 games, but he hasn't been terrible either.

Yes his 230 BA is anemic, but to borrow a quote from 'Bull Durham', if he got one more Texas leaguer or ground ball with eyes per week (4 hits) he'd be batting 284 and no one would be asking what is wrong with him. Aside from his low BA (and K's if those hurt your feelings), Stubbs has for the most part been solid.

1. He's playing a gold-glove caliber CF
    2. He's putting up an outstanding BB rate and secondary averages
    3. He's getting on base at a very solid 356 clip
    4. He leads the Pioneer league in SB (11) and has only been caught once
    5. He is 2nd in the Pioneer league in triples

Right now, he looks like a young Mike Cameron ... great speed and defense, developing power, solid OBP, lots of K's and a mediocre BA. Mike Cameron was one of the best combinations of offense/defense at the CF position in MLB from 1999-2003. I would have no problem if Stubbs turned into a carbon copy of Mike Cameron in his prime.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 07-16-2006 at 12:14 PM.

so far, reminds me more of BJ Szymanski than Mike Cameron

Whenever someone mentions Stubbs' OBP I feel compelled to point out that he has been hit by numerous pitches, padding that percentage quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Whenever someone mentions Stubbs' OBP I feel compelled to point out that he has been hit by numerous pitches, padding that percentage quite a bit.
    That's why its called "On Base Percentage." You get hit, you get on base. Why do you feel compelled to point that out?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    so far, reminds me more of BJ Szymanski than Mike Cameron
    I'm still hoping for the Reds sake, that I was wrong

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=6

You have to wonder if Stubbs isn't Szymanski from a better baseball school.

Szymanski's last year at school
    .362AVG/.433OBP/.610SLG/1043OPS
    Stubbs last year at school
    .347AVG/.450OBP/.597SLG/1047OPS

Why Stubbs? I think Buckley just did his Gabe Gross part two..........

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    That's why its called "On Base Percentage." You get hit, you get on base. Why do you feel compelled to point that out?
    Because getting hit isn't a skill, walking is. I would rather his OBP be walk+average driven then walk+HBP driven, anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblue
    Because getting hit isn't a skill
    Don Baylor, Corky Miller and a whole host of other guys would disagree with you.

There are tons of examples of hitters who posted sky high HBP totals year in and year out. If it wasn't a skill, guys wouldn't be able to reproduce high HBP totals year after year after year. Getting plunked is most definitely a skill.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    Don Baylor, Corky Miller and a whole host of other guys would disagree with you.

There are tons of examples of hitters who posted sky high HBP totals year in and year out. If it wasn't a skill, guys wouldn't be able to reproduce high HBP totals year after year after year. Getting plunked is most definitely a skill.
    Craig Biggio would like to join your list.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook

I see what you are getting at, but I think it is only a skill if you are intentionally doing it. LaRue gets plunked a lot and I don't think he is intentionally getting hit in the hands and wrists.

At rookie ball, I doubt Stubbs is trying to get hit by the pitch. You dont get called up for HBP's. I think it's a combo of his swing which probably dives in and bad control by pitchers. To call someone skillfull at being HBP's in rookie ball is an excuse.

Guys that I have seen that I would say are 'skillfull' at it are Fernando Vena and Craig Biggio.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Guys that I have seen that I would say are 'skillfull' at it are Fernando Vena and Craig Biggio.
    Craig Wilson.

and if it's kept track of (i doubt it is) i'd wadger Wilson gets hit at a higher rate with 3 balls on him then with all other count combonations (his swing already puts him in the line, but when he has 3 balls on him he no longer tries to move out of the way of a pitch).
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    Craig Wilson.

and if it's kept track of (i doubt it is) i'd wadger Wilson gets hit at a higher rate with 3 balls on him then with all other count combonations (his swing already puts him in the line, but when he has 3 balls on him he no longer tries to move out of the way of a pitch).
    Which doesn't make sense since that is ball four anyway, but like we say: "Wear it!"

maybe there's something to what the good captain is saying... he was just hit by another pitch!

Turn Off Ads?