Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by 37red
    could I cut in and ask where to get the latest on the Bats and Mud Hens players? My kids are taking me to the game next week and I'd like to be up on the line up, thanks.
    http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...x.jsp?sid=t416

http://www.mudhens.com/
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm on it, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Stubbs has been playing everyday since probably January. Now, he's probably been doing that for a few years, but now he has the added pressure of being a first round draft pick and playing for money.

Give him time to settle in to professional baseball, and give him time to settle in to what is likely a new coaching style and outlook.

It takes time. Relax.
    But I think talent would overcome some of the adjustment level. His stat line is putrid.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    But I think talent would overcome some of the adjustment level. His stat line is putrid.
    Actually his walk ratio isn't that bad. Just little few hits and little power.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Actually his walk ratio isn't that bad. Just little few hits and little power.
    That's not good...

21 Year Old Drew Stubb's current stat line: 239/360/348
    21 Year Old Anderson Machado's stat line: 251/355/398

...oh yeah, Machado was in AA by then too.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    His stat line is putrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    21 Year Old Drew Stubb's current stat line: 239/360/348
    21 Year Old Anderson Machado's stat line: 251/355/398

...oh yeah, Machado was in AA by then too.
    80 FREAKING AT BATS!!!!!

People need to calm down. I'll be happy to join the lynch mob a year from now if he continues on his current path, but it is a little early to be erecting the gallows.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 07-19-2006 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    80 FREAKING AT BATS!!!!!

People need to calm down. I'll be happy to join the lynch mob a year from now if he continues on his current path, but it is a little early to be erecting the gallows.
    We're calm, but they guy technicaly moved down a level and hasn't hit. Period. No one is erecting the gallows, but I think people have the right to point out the obvious. He isn't hitting and that was the biggest knock on him coming out. I think people can get worried since this was predicted by some.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Okay, okay. After reading through this whole thread, I'm going to put in my two cents. I enjoy looking through the rose-colored glasses so, I am going to choose to look at it through the optimist's point of view.

Reading about Stubbs' early struggles, brings to mind the early struggles of my favorite player, Derek Jeter. In his autobiography, Jeter talked about how he struggled through his early days in the Yankee farm system and just wanted to give up on baseball. Obviously, Jeter stuck it out and turned out to become one of the best shortstops in Yankee history.

This is not to say Stubbs can hold a candle to DJ and granted DJ was just a high schooler from Kalamazoo, but maybe Stubbs is just working out some kinks. Give Chambliss and some of the other random hitting instructors give some advice to him and see if things change before we stick a fork in him.

All of this said, I was never a huge fan of this pick, but I still don't think he's being given a fair chance. Let the man play a couple of years of ball before we stick a fork in him.

Right on CaptainHook. This early in the season, numbers can change fast. If he pulls a Szymanski in Dayton next year, then I'll be worried.

Stubbs was 3-6 tonite, 3 singles, RBI, K. Moved his avg. up to .255

He is 2-3 so far tonight, up to .267

Looks like someone might be breaking out!!

3-5 on Thursday night, double and run scored. Up to .272.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick
    3-5 on Thursday night, double and run scored. Up to .272.
    .272? No way! Not Drew Stubbs. He was suppose to melt away quicker than an ice cream cone at the ballgame. He had 80 ABs in and was hitting .235 and all of the Reds fans said he would amount to nothing!

Maybe he will amount to nothing, but give the damn kid more than 80 ABs before you start ripping on him.

I think it's fair to ask questions about his hitting.

Guy came from big time program in Texas. Eighth pick in the draft. Folks were shocked that he was starting out as low as Billings. Then it was assumed he would get feet wet there and wind up at Dayton in a few weeks.

Turns out he has struggled to hit even at the Billings level. So it is fair to ask whether this is temporary or if there is a real hitting problem.

If he is adjusting and starting to hit now, great. But it's fair to ask the question.

Turn Off Ads?