Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    no, but I wouldn't bring up the pitchers. Let 'em succeed where they are

Milton Loo is the promotion that I'd make. All the way to Dayton. Let's see what he does at night.

Make room with Jay Bruce, on his way to Sarasota
    I would agree, except that guys like Lutz and Watson started out too low to begin with. Given their age and background, each could well have started at Dayton after signing. So I don't think it is a big deal to promote them now. Justin Smith is another guy who probably should be at Dayton too.

I think Loo will move up when healthy.

As for Bruce, I don't mind if he stays at Dayton all year. I think the organization wants Dayton to have some young stars and that's ok. But starting next year he should move quickly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's not going to kill Stubbs' career to let him finish the season at Billings.

You guys are a bit impatient, aren't you?

Most of us that liked the Stubbs' pick knew he wasn't going to be a future MVP.

Also, remember that some guys do make the big leagues later and still have decent careers. Freel didn't make it to the bigs for good until he was 27 or 28.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I would agree, except...
    you would agree except that you disagree?

that's cool. If you WANT to be wrong...

you would agree except that you disagree?

that's cool. If you WANT to be wrong...
    I would normally agree about keeping young pitchers where they are in their first professional go around. In this case, however, the pitchers were slotted too low. This is particularly true for Lutz, who certainly should have started above GCL ball.

When someone like Lutz, a reasonably accomplished 21 year old college pitcher, is assigned to the Gulf Coast League, it is sometimes just to get his feet wet, or maybe because it is the only roster spot available. In that type of situation, I don't think it is overly aggressive to move him up, even in the first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I don't think it is overly aggressive to move him up, even in the first year.
    if he's a prospect, then he should be in rookie ball such as Billings.

if he's not a prospect, then I don't mind him being filler in Dayton, Sarasota, whatever

Good lord, Stubbs is coming off a college season, and he's still playing ball. Lots of guys get the rest of the year off and go to instructional camp and wait until next season to even get going.

I'm going to point to Clevelands first round pick last year, Trevor Crowe. A college product, and a pretty darn good hitter coming out of college. He played after school(in the NYPL(short season), and didn't exactly set the world on fire with a .255 BA and a .345OB and a .392SLG. He did even worse when promoted to A ball.

Then this year, after he got some rest - low and behold he lit the lower minors on fire, got promoted to AA and was doing well there then got injured. OPSing over .900.

Look, i'm not saying Stubbs will have that path, but its likely he's tired a bit.. this half season means just about nothing. It just gets him assimilated. Give it TIME people.

Even Homer freaking phenom Bailey didn't do that great his first year in Dayton. Everyone was calling for his head. Would they do that this year? Noooo.

Baseball is a game of PATIENCE. Why don't you guys show some.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

if he's a prospect, then he should be in rookie ball such as Billings.

if he's not a prospect, then I don't mind him being filler in Dayton, Sarasota, whatever
    I tend to agree.

Though his inability to hit in Billings is big-time disconcerting. Generally speaking, if you can't hit there you can't hit anywhere.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Tonight Stubbs was 3 for 4, with a HR, his 2nd at Billings, and a double. His batting average is up to .264. His OBP is now .388, and he has 13 stolen bases in 35 games.

I think he will end up being o.k.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 07-29-2006 at 01:50 AM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson
    Tonight Stubbs was 3 for 4, with a HR, his 2nd at Billings, and a double. His batting average is up to .264. His OBP is now .388, and he has 13 stolen bases in 35 games.

I think he will end up being o.k.
    I guess it's time to find a new thing to panic about
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I guess it's time to find a new thing to panic about
    last night he went 0-4 with 3Ks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    last night he went 0-4 with 3Ks.
    So I guess the watch is back on...

Updated numbers:

.252/.357/.378 for a .735 OPS.

Is Watson the only one to have been promoted from Billings to Dayton so far?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Updated numbers:

.252/.357/.378 for a .735 OPS.
    That certainly isn't going to get him promoted from the uber-offensive Pioneer League.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    That certainly isn't going to get him promoted from the uber-offensive Pioneer League.
    There are seven players with a higher OPS on the Billings roster.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Well, Evan Longoria the 1st college hitter taken was just promoted to AA.
    Tyler Colvin the 3rd college hitter chosen is in A ball.
    Matt Antonelli the 4th college hitter chosen is in A ball.
    Emmanual Burris the 5th college hitter taken is in A ball
    Ronald Bourquin the 7th college hitter taken is in A ball.
    Chad Huffman the 8th college hitter taken is in A ball.
    Joshua Rodriguez the 9th college hitter taken is in A ball.
    Robert Fontaine was the 11th college hitter taken, out a community college, is the only other top 11 college hitter taken that is in rookie ball along with Drew Stubbs.

2 players either have not yet signed, or have yet to appear in a game. Are the Reds coddling him, or is he taking the route of Brandon Roberts who played his first year in Billings then skipped over Dayton the next year? If the Reds would do that with a 7th round pick last year, what does it mean for a first round pick?

Turn Off Ads?