Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

  1. #1
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,929

    Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Hey all...

    Just finished building a new rig for a friend Click here for the whole build/setup.

    Anyway, the video card is a SAPPHIRE Radeon X1800XT 256MB .

    For reasons unknown to me, it will not send a video signal to my monitor. I have tried the new video card in this computer and it boots up, but still, no video signal to the monitor, so I know it's not the new computer, outside of a possible bad video card.

    What other things can I try before I send it back RMA? Please, any and all help would be very much appreciated. Friend is leaving town tomorrow, so outside of shipping a new video card to her...you get the idea

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,929

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Also, the power plug is in the card and yes I've tried both video outs and both, nada. Also, the adapter for the monitor is the same one that I currently use on my 7800GT on this computer, so everything 'but' the new x1800xt seems to be working.

  4. #3
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    The only thing I can think of (and I'm no expert) is the the video card is not seated properly in the PCI slot. Try pulling it out and putting it back in.

    Maybe you can take a trip to your local CompUSA and "borrow" a video card to see if it's the card or not. Warning: "There maybe a restocking fee if you return the video card"

  5. #4
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,929

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    The only thing I can think of (and I'm no expert) is the the video card is not seated properly in the PCI slot. Try pulling it out and putting it back in.

    Maybe you can take a trip to your local CompUSA and "borrow" a video card to see if it's the card or not. Warning: "There maybe a restocking fee if you return the video card"

    Tried the first one already and the second part...I could always swap this 7800GT into that computer and test it out...think that'd be safe? Couldn't afford to cook this puppy....

  6. #5
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,119

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Well there are lots of things that can cause "no video", and it doesn't really have to be the card itself.

    Have you tried re-seeding everything inside the box? Also, make sure nothing is underneath the motherboard, like a loose screw, a short on the MB could cause "no video".

    Try taking everything out except what is absolutely needed. Then try swapping the RAM. Use one stick at a time if you can.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

  7. #6
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,929

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    Well there are lots of things that can cause "no video", and it doesn't really have to be the card itself.

    Have you tried re-seeding everything inside the box? Also, make sure nothing is underneath the motherboard, like a loose screw, a short on the MB could cause "no video".

    Try taking everything out except what is absolutely needed. Then try swapping the RAM. Use one stick at a time if you can.

    Do you think swapping this 7800GT vid card into the new rig would be safe after double checking everything?


    Keep in mind that I have placed that video card into this working rig and I got the same thing....

  8. #7
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,119

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    Do you think swapping this 7800GT vid card into the new rig would be safe after double checking everything?


    Keep in mind that I have placed that video card into this working rig and I got the same thing....
    Oh, I did not see that. If you put the ATI card in your working machine and are positive you had it connected (power) properly, and it did the same thing then I don't see any reason to test any further. I'm not sure what else it could be, but it seems to me that's a bad card.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

  9. #8
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    Keep in mind that I have placed that video card into this working rig and I got the same thing....

    Okay, sounds like a bad video card to me. Was the card brand new or was it a refurb?

  10. #9
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,929

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Okay, sounds like a bad video card to me. Was the card brand new or was it a refurb?

    Brand new...I'm about to throw this 7800GT into the new rig and see what happens. I'll be back in 15-20 and report back.

  11. #10
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,929

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Well, the good news is that I do know how to put a computer together from scratch. Also, my 7800GT worked like a champ.

    Bad news: x1800xt doa. Looks like a RMA jobby for Newegg. Also, the card is so huge, me thinks I'm just going to go with a 7900GT instead. Thoughts?

    And ty all for the quick help. I am paranoid when building new rigs

  12. #11
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    Brand new...I'm about to throw this 7800GT into the new rig and see what happens. I'll be back in 15-20 and report back.

    And if you are not back in 15-20 minutes, can we assume the other card got fried?

  13. #12
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    Well, the good news is that I do know how to put a computer together from scratch. Also, my 7800GT worked like a champ.

    Bad news: x1800xt doa. Looks like a RMA jobby for Newegg. Also, the card is so huge, me thinks I'm just going to go with a 7900GT instead. Thoughts?

    And ty all for the quick help. I am paranoid when building new rigs
    Glad you found the problem. That's always a relief

  14. #13
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,929

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Glad you found the problem. That's always a relief
    Yes, it is, but no it's not. I mean, hey I'm glad I was able to T/S it quickly and such, but now I have to go thru the process of RMA'ing the card etc. etc. Just a pain in the arse

    But thanks for the help, fellas...I knew I could count on y'all!

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    186

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    one thing i didnt see here is:

    did you change your video card setting in bios from motherboard to pci or ati?

    if not, your computer may be trying to read from your motherboards video port instead of your new one.

  16. #15
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,119

    Re: Computer help needed ASAP, please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny-Distefano
    one thing i didnt see here is:

    did you change your video card setting in bios from motherboard to pci or ati?

    if not, your computer may be trying to read from your motherboards video port instead of your new one.
    That's a good point, but he did say that he slapped that ATI card in his working system that had the NVIDIA card installed.

    I got a bad video card once from da egg, they are good about returns but they have that darn restocking fee.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25