Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum

Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum

My father and I toured the Reds HOF yesterday before the game. If you haven't been to it, it's worth the $5 extra (with game day ticket). They have tons of memrobelia and interactive displays that are pretty cool. It's well laid out, tastefully displayed and a great historical record of the team.

The absoulte highlight was that a bevy of HOF's were there for a meet and greet. No autographs but photos were encouraged. Unfortunatley we didn't have a camera and felt stupid.

Anyway, I met a host of players: Lee May, Browning, Gary Nolen (a favorite), Billingham, Cardenes, Perez, Griffey Sr. Conception, Nuxie (another thrill), Malone, and 4 or 5 others I can't think of right now. Shook hands, had a breif exchange and pleasantries. It was awesome! The only bummer was that Seaver, Bench and Foster weren't able to be there.

What struck me was that all the players had huge hands. Also, they were all very polite and friendly (except one) but just oozed confidence and security. Each looked you dead in the eye. Each had a firm handshake. Each stood ramrod strait. They made an impression just standing there shaking hands!

The absolute best part was seeing my father, who is 64, act like a kid in a candy store. His eyes twinkled as he told me about the few players I didn't know about. He just rattled off facts and figures like I've never seem him do before. He thanked each player for the memories and mentioned some specific play or game as he addresed them. "I remember that you did such and such at Ebits field", or whatever. He shared later that he's never met a ball player personally (and he's seen a lot of the classics play as he's been going to games since the late 40's) much less so many great players.

The whole game and the drive home we kept talking about classic baseball. He told me story after story and we kept going back to what happened before the game.

We were on cloud nine the whole time and it was a memory of my Father I'll cherish. Oh yea, the thrilling 9th inning win was pretty nice too!
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 07-16-2006 at 09:25 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Hall of Fame

Couldn't agree more about the Hall of Fame. If there's a better one in MLB (outside of Cooperstown) I'd sure like to see it.

I was there yesterday as well and can echo your sentiments of all the guys being as nice as could be. I was most impressed with Jack Billingham and Ken Griffey.

It was truely something special.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Sweet. I'm hoping come 2009 my team can do the same with our new ballpark...

Currently the Hall of Fame is just the busts of HOFers in a display case, adorned only by the 1969 and 1986 World Championship trophies. Essentially its just a lobby for a pair of restaurants and souviner stand on the press box level (bar right next to the press hallway) Unlabeled pictures of the HOFers also adorn the walls (stinks if you are a kid asking your parent or whomever you're with and they have no clue who the person in the photo is) as well as mock up HOF plaques for Gary Carter (in Cooperstown as an Expo) and Bob Murphy (special plaque presented on Murph's retirement night) and a special Met rescue dog that was presented, I'm guessing in honor of the organization's help with the 9/11 tragedy (Shea was a triage center after the attacks)

Its nice as conversation pieces while waiting for your seat in the Diamond Club restaurants or a meeting place before heading to the seats, but as a HOF,

Here is a photo from Yahoo Sports of today's inductions

Ltlabner --

No one seemed to notice my Sparky/Mays picture in the Mays thread, but I thought you would like this one I took at the Hall of Fame Opening Night.

What time does it open on game days?

Jack billingham was really underated. I don't have his postseason sats but I bet they were pretty good. Oakland manager Dick Williams once said that during the A's playoff and series run during the 70's, Billingham was the best pitcher they faced.

Thanks Terminator, that's a great picture!

I have been to Cooperstown and honestley think that the Reds hall of fame is way better.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator
    No one seemed to notice my Sparky/Mays picture in the Mays thread, but I thought you would like this one I took at the Hall of Fame Opening Night.
    Great, great photo. Thanks for sharing.

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    I have been to Cooperstown and honestley think that the Reds hall of fame is way better.
    MLB HoF director has called ours for suggestions, so he's said.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Thats does it, I WANT ONE!

Heh, but seriously from what I've been led to believe at the new Yankee Stadium up the street from the current location, they are going to bring Monument Park over and whats left of the current shell will be a muesem. Not sure about the details there, hopefully it turns out well.

No bloody clue what my Mets are planning...

Where's Fred Wilpon's phone number!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    As well he should. It was created by one of the best, as I said at the time. Local treasure, Jack Rouse and Associates. (Be sure to check out their Volkswagen Autostadt the next time you're in Wolfsburg.)
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator
    Ltlabner --

Hey terminator...would you mind, if you can remember or just happen to know go down that line and players and tell which one is who like going from left to right? Or if anybody else can do it?

I think I can remember most of them:

Bench, Morgan, Perez, Foster, Griffey, Concepcion, Billingham, Carroll, Soto, unsure (I want to say Wayne Granger but I really am not sure), Maloney, Cardenas, Sam Crawford, O'Toole, Sparky.

Turn Off Ads?