Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Reds Hall of Fame To Unveil Plans For Pete Rose Exhibit

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Rob can be very charming. In all honesty, this is the first positive thing I have ever heard about Rob. At least now I can not say that "I've never heard one good thing about Rob Butcher". Maybe he is changing his ways... I hope so.
    You are grinding that axe down to the handle.

I don't know Rob Butcher from Adam. He may be a great man, he may be a complete buttwipe.

Rob Butcher, Director of Media Relations for the Cincinnati Reds, has been named the 2006 winner of the Robert O. Fishel Award for Public Relations Excellence.

Butcher has worked for Major League Baseball at each of the last nine All-Star Games and World Series. In March 2006, he served as the press officer for Team USA at the inaugural World Baseball Classic.
    Somebody obviously likes the guy well enough.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Reds Hall of Fame To Unveil Plans For Pete Rose Exhibit

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    You are grinding that axe down to the handle.

I don't know Rob Butcher from Adam. He may be a great man, he may be a complete buttwipe.

Somebody obviously likes the guy well enough.

GL
    Handle? Haaandle? The "handle" was ground into bits two years ago. I was working on remnant neutrons.

In all seriousness I am happy for him. Maybe all the spankings he received in the last few years has led him to a better path. I'm not even kidding. I hope he has turned the corner. If he has he could live up to his award.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Reds' Hall of Fame Museum

Nice article from a travel site:

5/11/2007
    Reds hit a home run with Hall of Fame museum

It's been a while since the Cincinnati Reds set the baseball world afire -- the team's last National League pennant came in 1990. Yet the team's Hall of Fame museum is unmatched and is a top-notch tourist attraction. Cincinnati also has an unmatched history as far as the entire spectrum of baseball is concerned: The Cincinnati Red Stockings emerged as baseball's first team of professional ballplayers in 1869. The team's record that year was 57-0, obviously a mark no other team has matched.

The team's Hall of Fame, which also includes a museum, is at the entrance to the Reds' ultra-modern Great American Ballpark, built in 2003. It combines high-tech elements with nostalgic reminders of the Reds' historic past. At the main gates, fans are greeted by mosaic murals of the 1869 Red Stockings as well as the famed Big Red Machine, the 1975 World Championship team that had a host of stars, including one of the game's best hitters -- Pete Rose, who turned into one of the game's most controversial figures with his gambling habits.

The park itself, named after the Cincy-based Great American Insurance Group, is downtown, similar to other new stadiums in other big-league cities. It's a class act with such special features as more than the usual number of field level seats, one of baseball's biggest video scoreboards and smokestacks that "explode" with fireworks after a Reds' home run or victory.

Back to the Hall of Fame. It's a $10 million community effort, its spokesman told us during a recent visit, with the helping hands of fans, players, collectors and countless others donating or loaning items crucial to the team's long history. Former stars Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench loaned their Golden Glove and Most Valuable Player awards, while one fan donated a rare panoramic photo of 1912's opening day at Crosley Field, which serves as a backdrop to the Hall of Fame's plaques gallery.

Rose, baseball's hit king, is significantly represented throughout the facility, although he may never be named to baseball's national shrine at Cooperstown, N.Y., because of his gambling habits. A major focus on Rose's exploits at Cincinnati is a 30-foot-tall "wall of balls" containing 4,256 baseballs, each representing one of his record number of hits. Another feature of the Reds' hall is the number of interconnective exhibits, attractive to all ages. The "Play Ball" gallery is tops. You start with an instructional video from past Reds greats, then continue by leaping to make a catch, stepping into the batter's box and trying to catch up to a fastball, throwing off a regulation mound to a strike zone 60 feet away, then going to a broadcast booth to call a play-by-play of a famous moment of Reds' history.

The Reds opened the museum in September 2004. The team is only one of a handful of major league clubs with facilities dedicated to its history and best players. There are a few -- St. Louis, Atlanta and Baltimore -- that recently expanded their museums. But we're told they don't hold a candle to the one in Cincinnati, which boasts 16,000 square feet of space and attracts some 100,000 fans a year.
    http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmana...?z=21&a=293909
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Re: Reds' Hall of Fame Museum

It is a great place -- the best of its type in all of baseball. Greg Rhodes deserves much of the credit for that. He "owned" this project and saw to it that it was done at a world class level.

Greg has done a tremendous job with the place. Hopefully his successor will do just as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Haven't been to it (never traveled much outside the East Coast corridor) but from on-line images I'd say it has to rank up there.

I've been to three:

The Braves in Turner Field which is quite good, doesn't have plaques or anything, but nice pics of all of the Brave HOFers (including the Braves days in both Boston (even going back to the 1800's) and Milwaukee as well as a display of lockers representing the Divisional Championship streak.

Monument Park in Yankee Stadium, I'm sure they'll improve upon it in the new Stadium, and make it more of a musem rather than bunch of Monuments/Plaques and retired number plaques, but there are few goosebump inducing things in sports that being able to stroll through that part of Yankee Stadium.

The worse probably in all of baseball though has to be the Mets HOF display in the Diamond Club Lobby in Shea Stadium.

A) No easy access or signs pointing towards it at all

B) There are busts of the Met HOFers but nothing describing WHY they are HOFers. For example, why is this man in the Mets HOF?

The NY attorney who was influential in bringing NL baseball back to NY, a lifelong part of the Met family and the guy the ballpark was named for, but is any of that info listed alongside William Shea's bust? No.

C) There are also pictures of the HOFers along the wall of the lobby, but there are no labels on any of them, so that means if someone asks who they are the person who was asked had better know the right answer

For example:

"Hey Dad, who is that?" "Well son...I'm not quite sure? Ed Charles maybe?" The correct answer is Cleon Jones, but the Mets are clearly banking on the fact that everyone who strolls through the lobby of the Diamond Club would know who Cleon Jones is and why he is considered an all-time great Met.

I really hope there is much change in this area in Citi Field come 2009!

I need to get up there this summer, is the Pete Rose exhibit still up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.MojoRisin View Post
    I need to get up there this summer, is the Pete Rose exhibit still up?
    Yup. I think it's going to be there all summer, but am not 100% sure about that.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Yup. I think it's going to be there all summer, but am not 100% sure about that.
    yes, unless Pete says or does something really stupid

BTW, anyone know where I can find images of the plaques in the Reds HOF? Or if there are any plans for an up-to-date baseball (or postcard ala Cooperstown's yellow background set) card set of the Reds HOFers?

Quote Originally Posted by peterose00 View Post
    yes, unless Pete says or does something really stupid

What are the odds of that happening?

The exhibit will be up till next spring.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'm a member and love it, but you can hear crickets chirping between October-February. Many members have suggested a "Hot Stove" speakers circuit where former Reds/baseball writers, etc come in for Q&A or presentations, book signings, etc. I hope the new director has a record of success on the marketing & promotional side.

Turn Off Ads?