Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pre and Post trade bullpen comaprisons

Can he be stopped?

Pre and Post trade bullpen comaprisons

Let me preface all of this with the fact that I loved the trade from the start. I was never sold on Lopez, he really disgusted me the last game I went to (vs. Chicago White Sox when Claussen was demoted) by absolutely giving up, and had shown me nothing on defense since that. Kearns is a good player, but we have the depth to replace him, even if we might miss a few of his homers, I won't miss the 0-1, 0-2 and 1-2 holes he gets in every at bat.

I mean, how well did Bowden's trading away pitching really work for us during his tenure anyway?

But what really sold me on the trade was looking at the pen before and after the trade (For the sake of argument, lets define Everyday as post trade, since he didn't really pitch until then):

Before:

Closer - Coffey
    Setup- Weathers, Merc and Yan
    Situational Lefty - Shack
    Midddle Relief - Standridge
    Long Relief - Belisle

After:

Closer - The Daily One
    Setup - Majik, Bray, Coffey
    Situational Lefty - Merc
    Middle Relief - Weathers
    Long Relief - Standridge/Belisle (post-DL)

On paper, that is a huge change. EG has already proven in the past few days he can handle the 9th. Majik has been unlucky, but has good stuff. Bray looked good his one outing, and can get out lefties and righties. Coffey is much improved not pitching the 9th. Merc is a very good situational lefty, and is also much better after comming off his injury. Weathers I like much better in the 6th and 7th than in the 8th. And Belisle is fine as long relief, and Standridge will make do until then. The shakeup lets players move to roles that are much more comfortable for them, and that, even more than Bray and Majik should help the pen's ERA.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pre and Post trade bullpen comaprisons

I agree that the BP is looking much better, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

1) I'm not ready to say Guardado is sufficient as closer, judging by his bludgeoning in the AL.
    2) Majewski and Bray just got here 3 games ago.
    3) Lefties are hitting .277 vs Mercker. That is not anywhere close to being "a very good situational lefty".
    4) Righties are hitting .270 vs Bray and lefties are .259. I cannot say with any certainty that he can get them both out.

The trade definitely helped the worst bullpen of all-time. But what price does the lineup have to pay? Hopefully it turns out for the best.

Nice post, Dunner. The trade not only added two arms but it pushed others into slots that are more conducive to their abilities.

A trade should be measured by how it improved the club rather than what was lost. I believe the Reds are not only better without Felo's defense and Kearns' work ethic, but they now have a more functional bullpen
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I think this trade was beneficial in many ways.....First, we received relief pitching depth that has shown consistency and can help us in the final stretch, second, this trade has lit a fire under the likes of Weathers, Coffey, and Mercker. During this series, these guys were lights out and played their best. Perhaps it sent a message to these guys that they can be replaced if the meltdowns continue. I understand that we didn't play one of the better teams in baseball, but a 4 game sweep out of the gate, is a fantastic way to start, no matter who the opposition happens to be. Maj will hopefully snap out of this and conform to his current surroundings. I'm very excited for the second half.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    I agree that the BP is looking much better, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

1) I'm not ready to say Guardado is sufficient as closer, judging by his bludgeoning in the AL.
    2) Majewski and Bray just got here 3 games ago.
    3) Lefties are hitting .277 vs Mercker. That is not anywhere close to being "a very good situational lefty".
    4) Righties are hitting .270 vs Bray and lefties are .259. I cannot say with any certainty that he can get them both out.

The trade definitely helped the worst bullpen of all-time. But what price does the lineup have to pay? Hopefully it turns out for the best.
    I didn't check the stats on Bray, but thats the report on him. Don't forget this is his rookie season, so who knows what happens once he and/or the hitters get acclimated to each other.

As for Merc, he did a pretty good job Friday night. And a lot of his stats are from when he was trying to pitch injured... (however, looking up his stats last year, the BA against was about the same, although i couldn't find lefty/righty splits)

Finally for EG, his stats the previous few seasons bear waiting before labeling him as merely having a "lucky start." Maybe a change of scenery was warranted, and as we've seen for Bronson, a move to the NL can be very beneficial for pitchers.
    Last edited by Dunner44; 07-16-2006 at 07:38 PM.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Turn Off Ads?