Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A new era in Reds baseball

A new era in Reds baseball

Krivsky's smart...baseball smart. He knows how to build a team and has a plan for our Reds, I believe and we're beginning to see it fleshed out. What is exciting is that he is making moves that give the Reds a chance NOW and also takes the future into account. Bill Bray, a strong 23 year old lefthander with two seam and 4 seam varieties of 91-94 mph fastballs and a slider that is the definition of an "out pitch" is probably going to be a reliever although he may develop into a starter later if he can improve his mediocre changeup (Mr. Soto, are you listening?). I really like what I've researched about this kid. He's effective against both lefties and righties, and has a strong build with smooth mechanics. He is undoubtedly the centerpiece of this trade for the Reds. He has the potential to be dominant now and into the future.

Daryl Thompson is the unspoken of player that everyone seems to toss into the "injured prospect - toss in" category and then forget about. Well, researching him turns up the fact that he throws low 90s heat with good movement, has a plus curve and a good changeup. Three above average pitches at age 20. He's been compared by scouts to Dennis Oil Can Boyd in physique and mechanics because of his slight build and funky delivery. I think Krivsky took this kid in the deal specifically - not as an add-on but because he saw a very high reward/high risk player that might be untouchable in a year when he has a chance to fully recover from Kremchek's shoulder surgery. Because he's just 170 pounds and has a stringbean build I see him more as a relief prospect but a very good one. Patience is the key here - and he seems to be responding to his recovery better than the Reds in house top pick Chris Gruler.

Majewski is a league average reliever but better than most of the middle relievers the Reds were trotting out there and reliable enough to give David Weathers and Todd Coffey a chance to rest between appearances - something I think was sorely needed for them to be effective. Maj is probably just a slight uptick for the pen but I think Bray is a real plus addition that will just get better.

Clayton and Harris were the real throw ins in the deal. Clayton is just for this year and his value will be more in teaching what he used to be able to do in the field because his actual play has slipped a bit. Castro, Clayton - they both begin with C, can't hit a lick and have slipped on D a bit but both are patches on this year's infield and not part of K's future plans for the Reds. I would not be surprised though if Harris is given a shot at second base next year. Bergolla gets a competitor who can hit a bit although Harris needs to learn to take a walk if he is going to stick. Freel is never going to be the Reds everyday anything - I think the Reds feel he is most valuable being the man without a position who can play anywhere and therefore still play most of the time.

This trade has been praised and ripped but I'm in favor if it overall. I know some of the board's most respected posters like Steel and MWM are against it but I am going to respectfully disagree with them this time. This deal wasn't about getting more talent in return - it was about taking this team in a new direction and fixing a glaring problem. I don't know that it was enough if a fix for this year (I tend to think not) but I like that it helps the pitching long term and begins to move the Reds toward better fiscal strengths and better on field balance.

In summing up, I'd point out that not all moves K makes will be popular, or even good ones. Even Rickey made some big mistakes in his time, but everything I've seen shows me we finally have a GM who has the cajones and the baseball acumen to make moves when its obvious they are needed and a plan to keep the future in mind while retooling the present. A decent GM can build a team for the present year, or he can assemble a talented cast for the future, but the great GMs do both simultaneously. I'm hoping Krivsky will fit that category - and having an owner who lets him pull the trigger on deals like this helps. Whether you love or loathe the trade, its exciting to be on the cusp of a new era in Reds baseball - an owner and a GM who not only want to win but are willing to act decisively.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A new era in Reds baseball

RE: Freel, you wrote

I think the Reds feel he is most valuable being the man without a position who can play anywhere and therefore still play most of the time.
    I think this will be true for his career. I think he is extremely good at it, as good as any number of valuable super subs the Reds have over the years. And he will be paid handsomely for it (1.3 M this year, 1.7 next - that ain't shabby!). His zealous play wears on him, so spelling him helps him and helps the team. He has great value for us and I hope he has a long career with the Reds, although we may lose him to Free Agency at the end of this contract if he finds a team that will play him every day.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I do like the overall point that you make Redleg. While we may have given up more outright "value", the fact of the matter is that the bullpen had to be addressed, period. This isn't a fantasy league where we could've just won all the hitting cattegories and cruised by on that. Without addressing the needs of the pitching staff, we weren't going anywhere. Futhermore, as you point out, Lopez and Kearns (Lopez in particular) are close to getting quite expensive. It's not that they aren't worth more money, but if we are spending money on them, we aren't spending it on pitching.

Dan O'Brien sat on his hands for 2 years, apparently scared to make a deal to improve the staff. By the time he was ready to deal, he got absolutely nothing. Krvisky found a deal that would improve the bullpen immediately, had some long term upside, and minimzed the offensive impact (Deno being able to step in).

Would I have liked to get Brandon Donnelly or Scott Linebrink? Sure, so would've Waynesky. He tried to get Linebrink and was rebuffed. From a fantasy GM point of view, Krivsky got robbed. However, we're 4-0 since the trade, including a pair of games where our bullpen held up and theirs did not. I'm not willing to say we're a vastly better team today than we were a week ago. However, I'm willing to give it some time and judge the deal based on how things actually work out. I think that if nothing else, Krivsky has earned a little benefit of the doubt.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

What crap. I read that whole thing and how you can come to the following conclusion is beyond comprehension - - Steel and MWM are respected posters??

Bah!

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?