Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you rather have Westbrook

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rather have Westbrook

42 55.26%
  • Rather have Majewski

26 34.21%
  • Rather have Kearns than either of them.

8 10.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather have had Westbrook for Kearns?

Would you rather have had Westbrook for Kearns?

It seems like for the past 3 years, there's been a persistent rumor that the Reds could've had Westbrook for Kearns. Let's assume that offer was still on the table for Wayne.

Would you rather have had Westbrook than Majewski. The press said that the initial trade with the Nationals, was Majewski for Kearns, and then it was later expanded to the 8 player deal. So, you'd still have the option of trading Lopez + Wagner for all those other guys.

I think I'd rather have Westbrook. The guy is on his way to his 3rd 200 inning season. I know he's not overpowering, but he has a nice 4.19 ERA this year. He has a nice track record, compiling a 4.37 career ERA, despite a rough start his first two seasons.

IMO, it would've helped the Reds a lot more to get 100 innings out of Westbrook for the balance of the season, as opposed to maybe 50 more innings out of Majewski. It would've allowed us to seal up that black hole in the rotation.

Westbrook is 28, which is older than Majewski, but still pretty young.

What are your thoughts?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you rather have had Westbrook for Kearns?

I can't choose any of these options. If you'd had a Fourth option, i.e. "Like the 8 player deal as it came down," I'd probably pick that one.

Get over it you cant change what happened....move on...seriously...JUST move on...

I just think the team was in more need of relief help than starting pitching. On the surface, probably a Kearns-Westbrook would normally be the better of the two options, but with the market being what it is for relievers this season and the need the Reds had for that, I think Kearns-Majewski was the better of the two.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Westbrook helps the rotation, and puts one of the borderline guys, basically anyone not named Harang, Arroyo or Westbrook, as an option for the bullpen. While I don't think Milton would be great out of the bullpen, it's hard to say what Claussen or Ramirez would look like coming out of the pen.

Adding Majewski and Bray helps the bullpen, but still doesn't change the fact that only 40% of the time most fans will feel comfortable with the starter on the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    I can't choose any of these options. If you'd had a Fourth option, i.e. "Like the 8 player deal as it came down," I'd probably pick that one.
    then you need to vote for Majewski.. The assumption was that you could seperate the Kearns-Majewski part of the trade out from the rest, because it was reported that was the initial 1 for 1 swap.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseReds
    Get over it you cant change what happened....move on...seriously...JUST move on...
    Why read the thread then? This was the biggest thing to happen to the team in a couple of years. Let us have a little fun second guessing it. Geez, lighten up a bit.

Dude, relax. He's just asking what people would have rather have done. This is a message board, welcome to it.

----------------------
    If those deals were straight up, then I think Westbrook for sure. But I'm sure there was a lot to it.

Sorry everyone I am new to this board. I just have heard so much about the trade in the past 2 days that my head is going to explode. Again, I love the fact the the new Reds owners are willing to be aggressive- something cincy hasnt had in a very long time.

Sorry everyone I am new to this board. I just have heard so much about the trade in the past 2 days that my head is going to explode. Again, I love the fact the the new Reds owners are willing to be aggressive- something cincy hasnt had in a very long time.
    "Aggressive" for aggressive's sake isn't a valuable trait. It's good to be aggressive, but not at the expense of wasting talent.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

How many polls are you going to start on the subject of this trade?

What is next, who would you rather have Pujols or Kearns?

We get it, you don't like the GM of the Reds, no matter who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    How many polls are you going to start on the subject of this trade?
    I'm sorry, your Highness, I guess I will stop putting polls in my threads from now on, since it displeases you

Actually, I still like Wayne, and I even said on another thread that I'm willing to give him a pass on this mistake, because all his other moves have been good.

Even the best GMs make a stinker trade every now and then.

Lighten up a bit. Why are the people that like this trade so defensive? From my other poll (I'm sure you've seen it ), it seems like only 25% of the board really hates the trade, while about 33% loves it.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

We needed bullpen help in a dramatic sort of way. Also we still have a week and a half before the trade deadline. SP is still a possibility. there are some good arms being talked about...

If the trade was made at the start of the season, I would have taken Westbrook. But with the way the bullpen imploded the past month, it is obvious the Reds had to do something quickly if they wanted to entertain playoff thoughts in their heads.

And there is the question whether the Tribe would have made the trade now when it is obvious they won't be making the playoffs this year.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I'd rather have Bray, Majewski and the $10 mil that would have gone to Lopez and Kearns.

Turn Off Ads?