Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Watson mention in Baseball Prospectus this morning

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Sean Watson mention in Baseball Prospectus this morning

The Reds 2nd round pick was mentioned in Kevin Goldstein's Future Shock column this morning (he formerly of Baseball America)

Sean Watson, rhp, Rookie-level Billings (Reds)
    The Reds' second-round pick this year, Watson was the closer at Tennessee this spring, notching 11 saves and striking out 47 in 41 innings. With a relatively fresh arm, a plus fastball and curve, as well as a usable changeup, the Reds are trying him out as a starting pitcher in the Pioneer League, and the results have been impressive. On Saturday night, Watson faced the minimum 12 batters during his four-inning outing, allowing one hit and striking out five--extending his professional streak of not allowing an earned run to 18.1 innings, in which he's given up seven hits and two walks while punching out 15. Nearly a year younger than most college draftees, Watson doesn't turn 21 until later this month, but could be one to watch in 2007 when he makes his full-season debut, most likely at Low Class A Dayton.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sean Watson mention in Baseball Prospectus this morning

Didn't Wood start out like this last year as well?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Doug Bair is obviously doing one hell of a job as pitching coach up there.

Watson as a starter? A month ago, I would have thought this was an insane idea. But so far, so good. Perhaps we didn't fare as bad in the draft as first thought.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Watson may be the Reds only chance for the 2006 draft, sorta like Bailey is for the 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Watson may be the Reds only chance for the 2006 draft, sorta like Bailey is for the 2004.
    That's awfully fast to write off Stubbs.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Roster glue

I just finished reading this and stopped in to see if anyone had posted it...does anyone know what it is about Watson that made the Reds brass believe he could make the conversion? I'd really like to see the scouting report stating a collegiate closer's projection as a starter...maybe they are trying to make his arm strength optimal so the conversion is an option down the road?

A bold move by the front office, considering the likelihood that many of the staffers will be turned over as WK brings his own guys in.

Maybe it is only because Watson has experienced early success, but my opinion is that no small number of fans would have been running for their pitchforks, spades, and torches just 3 short years ago if Ryan Wagner had been experimented with in this fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by boognish
    I just finished reading this and stopped in to see if anyone had posted it...does anyone know what it is about Watson that made the Reds brass believe he could make the conversion? I'd really like to see the scouting report stating a collegiate closer's projection as a starter...maybe they are trying to make his arm strength optimal so the conversion is an option down the road?

A bold move by the front office, considering the likelihood that many of the staffers will be turned over as WK brings his own guys in.

Maybe it is only because Watson has experienced early success, but my opinion is that no small number of fans would have been running for their pitchforks, spades, and torches just 3 short years ago if Ryan Wagner had been experimented with in this fashion.
    He had experience starting in college.

Here's some more Watson info:
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47641

One of the thoughts about drafting relievers and converting them is that their arms haven't been "abused" the way a college starters may have been. I don't really grasp the logic of this as most college starters only go once every seven days, but...

Anyway, hopefully the Watson experiment works well.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Didn't Wood start out like this last year as well?
    Yeah, but Wood was only 18 years old and fresh out of high school. Watson, though should be moved to Dayton pretty soon.

That unusal changeup is his knuckleball

That unusal changeup is his knuckleball
    Actually I believe that is a knuckle-curve. Or maybe that is his "curve".
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

My personal opinion on why the Reds are giving him a shot at starting.

1. He has two plus pitches(fastball and curve) and one potential above average pitch(Change). This would project him as a major league starter.

2. Has a body of a workhorse. 6' 1"- 6'3" depending on who you ask, 210 pounds, thick legs. He has the body to log 200 plus innings year after year.

3. Not positive on this, but I bet he has a pretty smooth delivery. That is the reason why Wagner could never be a starter. I bet his delivery also makes the Reds feel comfortable about him increasing his pitch count.

Just my thoughts.

lets hope soto improves his changeup. he will need that pitch to be a starter in the bigs, imo

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    lets hope soto improves his changeup. he will need that pitch to be a starter in the bigs, imo
    The rather brief scouting report on the mlb.com Draft Tracker says "A college closer with four usable pitches." Yet another reason why he can be successful as a starter, and also a reason why he may move quickly through the system.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

My guess is that college baseball is so different an environment from pro ball that the Reds' scouting department really doesn't care how a guy's college manager chose to use him. They're looking for the building blocks of a starting pitcher -- size, durable body, multiple pitches, etc. -- and if they find it, they trust their ability to develop it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?