Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds had a Delmon Young, national press would love this trade

If the Reds had a Delmon Young, national press would love this trade

Say the Reds had a minor league player that was rotting away on AAA team (ex Delmon Young) and a trade could be made giving this player a promotion to the big leagues. This team could add something lacking (for example pitching) while making room for such a minor league player. Then the national press would love this trade. They would say how this team got better.

Wait a minute..didn't the Reds do this? They added a minor league player by that was leading the IL in hitting. And wan't this player the Reds 2006 minor league player of the year. Denorfia might never be a Delmon Young, but he could be a Austin Kearns!!

Of yeah, saving close to $10 million in salary next year by getting rid of Kearns/Lopez was noted as well. If the Reds kept them they still couldn't start every 5th day on the mound. Money that can be used on a quality free agent arm.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: If the Reds had a Delmon Young, national press would love this trade

i like this free agent thinking... No one is saying anything about Denorfia, the national media is sleeping on him. Also I just read that the pirates are talking trades involving Jack Wilson... SS anyone?

ESPN probably doesn't even know about Chris Denorfia, or if they do, they don't know that he was Reds minor league player of the year last year or any of his other accolades.

Please disregard anything that ESPN says about the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69

easy enough. They rarely say anything about the Reds anyway.
    Is it "next season" yet?

Interesting line of thinking and I would not necc. say your wrong, however how exactly is it that everyone expects Denorfia to replace Kearns? I do see him adding something to this club, he will in all likelihood be a better baserunner, contact hitter and will give you better range than Kearnsy. And for the long term I am happy with that.

But in the short term he gives us nothing of which we need out of a Kearns replacement. The 2 things that Kearns brought to the table that we need that Deno cannot replace is his power RH bat and his cannon of an arm in RF. The cannon is something we may not need as much of with improved pitching and defense however that RH power bat is gonna hurt us if not replaced. People have been itching to throw Freel and Deno out there in his stead. However in order for that to work they MUST do what they do best in order for that work to our advantage.

Like I said I am not saying Denorfia has no value and indeed I think he is a solid all around ballplayer whom will be an asset now and in the future but we need that RH slugger if we intend on competing for anything more than a .500 record.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

i dont mean to bash this as i havent been on the board lately, but i just cant be on the side of it being a good trade. as much as i love kearns, im ok with trading him and especially lopez for pitching, even bullpen help. just not what they got. majewski(sp - im sure) just doesnt have enough to get lefties out and you cant use him against just righties. and hes proven that just in his two outings. its not that the idea was bad, just what the got and for how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    Interesting line of thinking and I would not necc. say your wrong, however how exactly is it that everyone expects Denorfia to replace Kearns? I do see him adding something to this club, he will in all likelihood be a better baserunner, contact hitter and will give you better range than Kearnsy. And for the long term I am happy with that.

But in the short term he gives us nothing of which we need out of a Kearns replacement. The 2 things that Kearns brought to the table that we need that Deno cannot replace is his power RH bat and his cannon of an arm in RF. The cannon is something we may not need as much of with improved pitching and defense however that RH power bat is gonna hurt us if not replaced. People have been itching to throw Freel and Deno out there in his stead. However in order for that to work they MUST do what they do best in order for that work to our advantage.

Like I said I am not saying Denorfia has no value and indeed I think he is a solid all around ballplayer whom will be an asset now and in the future but we need that RH slugger if we intend on competing for anything more than a .500 record.
    which is why i was amazed we sat encarnacion to straight games after his first game

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mario-rijo, Denorfia likewise has a cannon connected to his shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69
    ESPN probably doesn't even know about Chris Denorfia, or if they do, they don't know that he was Reds minor league player of the year last year or any of his other accolades.

I doubt they even know he is a player on the Reds roster at any level, more or less on their major league roster. I would like to sit down and talk with any of those guys over at ESPN and see if they can name, oh say 15 current Reds on their roster.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22
    i like this free agent thinking... No one is saying anything about Denorfia, the national media is sleeping on him. Also I just read that the pirates are talking trades involving Jack Wilson... SS anyone?
    um, no. I'd rather have Royce Clayton at SS than Jack Wilson. He's much cheaper.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I think the main beef people have with the Kearns trade is that we paid more for 2 relief pitchers than I've ever seen in my entire lifetime.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I think the main beef people have with the Kearns trade is that we paid more for 2 relief pitchers than I've ever seen in my entire lifetime.
    Jeff Bagwell was tarded for Larry Anderson once.

Brian Giles was traded for Ricardo Rincon once.

Compared to those two stinkers, the Reds made out like bandits.

It happens.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Jeff Bagwell was tarded
    Come on, no personal attacks on this board.

We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Mario-rijo, Denorfia likewise has a cannon connected to his shoulder.
    Thanks DD I had no idea, that will be something I will keep an eye out for to try to compare and contrast the 2's arms. If it's close then I don't feel nearly as bad about Deno replacing him. Of course we still need that Power.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Jeff Bagwell was tarded for Larry Anderson once.

Brian Giles was traded for Ricardo Rincon once.

Compared to those two stinkers, the Reds made out like bandits.

It happens.
    But Bagwell was more of a case of a prospect vastly exceeding expectations. He was analagous to Harang. The consensus with Harang at the trade was that his ceiling was a #5 starter. That's what all the experts and message board people said. Harang busted his rearend and made himself an above average pitcher. It was a surprise. Likewise Bagwell was well under the radar. He was considered marginal at the time.

As someone else said on that thread, Giles comes close. He was a platoon guy for Cleveland that exploded. It's still possible that Kearns or Lopez could explode into an offensive force like Giles, since they are both only 26. I am not guaranteeing it, but another few legitimate allstar appearances for Lopez certainly is not out of the question.

I guess I should say that AT THE TIME OF THE TRADE, there's never been a trade for relievers that looked this lopsided. The odd thing is that Wash is the rebuilding team and they actually got the two established talents in the deal. We got a LH rookie, and a RH with 1.5 years of service time that's had tendonitis. If you didn't know the W-L records of the two teams, you'd almost assume it was Washington that was the contender loading up for the stretch run.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?