Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brendan Harris takes parting shot at Jim Bowden

Brendan Harris takes parting shot at Jim Bowden

http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...d319713739.txt

By WILL SPRINGSTEAD, springstead@poststar.com
    Monday, July 17, 2006 6:49 AM EDT

Queensbury High School graduate Brendan Harris admitted he was surprised at being traded by the Washington Nationals, but thinks it might be a good thing in the long term.

On Sunday, Harris said the instability of the Nationals' management was difficult on players. Harris was part of an eight-player deal Thursday that sent four teammates and him to the Cincinnati Reds. He reported directly to the Reds' Triple-A team, the Louisville Bats.

"I got a call from our farm director on the last day of our All-Star break and I said, 'It's nice to hear from you, but what's up?' He told me and I was, like, 'no way,' " Harris said. "So, there is a period of shock, but once the dust settles, I'm probably better off here than I was there."

Harris said while Nationals General Manager Jim Bowen continues to try to shape the organization his way, some of his actions have been puzzling to the players and fans.

"With Jim Bowen, it's what have you done for me lately? And by lately, I mean yesterday," Harris said. "You're either one of his guys -- either from his days in Cincinnati or his draft picks -- or you've got a short lease there."

Harris, 25, started at second base and went 0-for-4 in his first game with Louisville on Friday, a 3-2 win over Norfolk. He did help turn a double play. He also appeared in Saturday's game against Norfolk, a 9-1 loss, but did not register an at-bat.

Harris said his adjustment to Louisville has gone fairly smoothly since he knows a couple of players on the Bats' lineup.

One of the things that Cincinnati Reds General Manager Wayne Krivsky said he liked about Harris was his ability to play second base, shortstop or third base. Harris thinks he'll be doing just that.

"I think I'll be playing kind of all over the place, but that's OK. I'll try to get some at-bats here and see what happens," Harris said.

Naturally, Harris would love to be called up, but he's not counting on it.

"We're in the race for the wild card now, so (Krivsky) is going to do what's best for the team," Harris said. "If they see me as helping the team, great.

"It seems like an organization that's going in the right direction," Harris added.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brendan Harris takes parting shot at Jim Bowden

It will take the offseason to mold this team the way Krivsky really wants.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    [url]"With Jim Bowen, it's what have you done for me lately? And by lately, I mean yesterday," Harris said. "You're either one of his guys -- either from his days in Cincinnati or his draft picks -- or you've got a short lease there."
    Shots to the bow of Jose Guillen and Ryan Zimmerman???

I don't especially like to see this kind of thing in the press, even if it is his hometown local paper. (See Rick White-Springfield Sun thread.)

Who was he going to play over? Zimmerman??? Jose Vidro??? Clayton, maybe, but I get the impression that Harris is not an everyday shortstop.

Bowden's an idiot, granted, but come on... be excited about your fresh start and move on!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Every bit as tacky as Rick White's statements.

Let the music do the talking......

He is probably telling the truth and I have no problem with that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Agreed.....I didn't think it was that bad.

We didn't even comment on the reporter getting Mr. BowDen's name wrong.

Paging Mr. Fact-Checker. Mr. Fact-Checker. Please report to the desk of Will Springstead.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    We didn't even comment on the reporter getting Mr. BowDen's name wrong.
    Wow, how did I miss that?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

got alil captain in u?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    i don't see anything wrong with it we all know that's how jimbo is anyway

Krivsky's not like that?

How many ex-Twins has he acquired?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Guardado, Mays and Castro out of about twelve players acquired (Arroyo, Phillips, D. Ross, C. Ross, Majewski, Bray, Clayton, Harris, Thompson, Yan).

Don't even start to compare Bowden to Krivsky.

I love hearing comments like Harris made. I have been saying the same things for years. Now, just throw in some negative comments about how Jimbo trades away all his young pitching because he's impatient and I think that covers all the bases on Jimbo.

Eh..file this in the same place as Rick White's comments
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Guardado, Mays and Castro out of about twelve players acquired (Arroyo, Phillips, D. Ross, C. Ross, Majewski, Bray, Clayton, Harris, Thompson, Yan).
    25% is a pretty high ratio.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    25% is a pretty high ratio.
    And thus far... 67% of those ex-Twins have not played bad as REDS.... who were terrible at closing and terrible at fielding the ball on the left-side. Not to mention a little pop in one of their bats (unexpected!).
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 07-17-2006 at 04:49 PM.

Turn Off Ads?