Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cards or Braves?

Man Pills

Cards or Braves?

I know, I know--on the surface, it seems as though the decision isn't a decision at all--whether to root for the Cards or Braves in this series. But history tells us that the Braves are indomitable, that, even 6 games under .500, they are still very, very likely to jump up and win the wild card. After all, the Braves just got finished dominating the Reds in every conceivable fashion two weekends ago.

I know this much: both teams will be in the chase on September 30th. With whom would you rather contend?

Me? I'm pulling for the Cards. The Braves scare the lightning out of me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cards or Braves?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I know, I know--on the surface, it seems as though the decision isn't a decision at all--whether to root for the Cards or Braves in this series. But history tells us that the Braves are indomitable, that, even 6 games under .500, they are still very, very likely to jump up and win the wild card. After all, the Braves just got finished dominating the Reds in every conceivable fashion two weekends ago.

I know this much: both teams will be in the chase on September 30th. With whom would you rather contend?

Me? I'm pulling for the Cards. The Braves scare the lightning out of me.
    I won't root for either, since I loathe the Braves, but I'll want ATL to sweep STL this series. You don't have to worry about the WC if you win your division.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I'm rooting for the Braves (did I just say that?). If the Reds win the division, and the Braves win the WC, you know that the Braves will lose, they always lose in the playoffs. Why not against the Reds?
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Man Pills

The Cards are starting to put it together, though. They destroyed the Dodgers over the weekend, and Pujols looks primed and ready for another scorched earth campaign. Hancock, Looper, Izzy, and Wainwright have rounded into world-beater shape. Yeah, their rotation remains ho-hum, but you really only need two starters and a killer bully, and the Cards have that in spades.

In short, I don't see the Reds catching the Cards. But I like that the Braves have spotted the Reds 5 1/2 games; I think that's a lead that the Reds have a chance of maintaining.

This one is a no brainer, IMO. In this series, I want the Braves to win as many of the games as they can. In the Cards-Dodgers series, it was fine that the Cards won while we did too because it helped us in the Wild Card race. I'd have rather picked up a game on the Cards, but we can do that now if the Braves beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    and Pujols looks primed and ready for another scorched earth campaign.
    FCB I don't always agree with everything you say, but I think you make me laugh out loud at least once a day with quotes like this one.

And I kind of agree on the rest, I think the Cards are hot right now, kind of like the Reds. But I don't think they are good enough to run off and hide with the division this year, but we'll have to see what they do at the deadline. If anything.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    If the Reds win the division, and the Braves win the WC, you know that the Braves will lose, they always lose in the playoffs. Why not against the Reds?
    Where were you in 1995, Tommyjohn25?!?!?

Go Braves! Beat those Cards. Sweep those Cards.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Man Pills

I guess I look at it this way: if all three teams (Cards, Braves, Reds) had the same record right now, and only the top two finishers would make the postseason, I think both the Cards and Braves beat the Reds handily. However, the Reds have the benefit of being 5 1/2 games out in front of Atlanta (who couldn't possibly be playing better baseball right now). I think the Reds can survive the Braves if they (the Reds) can put together one more nice win streak this season.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Where were you in 1995, Tommyjohn25?!?!?

I know I know, I guess I figure that we owe 'em one.

Until it becomes clearly defined who you're rooting for and against, I'm just concerned with winning our own games and letting everything else fall into place. A month from now is when you start looking at individual teams/situations but if you don't take care of your own business you don't have to even worry about that.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I'm rooting for the Braves to beat the Cardinals this week.

However (and not that I'd ever wish an injury on a player) if in defeating the Cardinals, a few of the Braves players end up on the disabled list for various reasons, I wouldn't be too upset.
    Win the Division

You don't have to worry about the wildcard if u win your division, the WC should never be your goal... gotta root for those bravos.

It's still a bit early for the scoreboard watching IMO.

What I like about the rest of July is that the Mets and Astros series line up to have 2 of 3 started by Harang and Arroyo.

What I don't like about the rest of July is that all 6 games vs the Brewers look like pure EZ, Milton, Mays games.

It might not fall exactly like that but it looks like it right now and given our past with the Brewers, I'm a bit concerned.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    It's still a bit early for the scoreboard watching IMO.

Maybe.

But watching second-half contenders duke it out can reveal some things--if you know what to look for.

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

I can't stand the Braves, but there is one team I dislike even more.

Turn Off Ads?