Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erik Bedard or Kris Benson?

Erik Bedard or Kris Benson?

Orioles are currently in 4th place in the AL East, and won't be contending anytime soon with the Yanks, Red Sox, and Blue Jays in the same division. There's been some talk around here about rebuilding, and Kris Benson and Erik Bedard won't be part of that process. Either could be had for a reasonable price, probably more so Benson.

Erik Bedard (2006):
    11-6 / 4.02 ERA / 1.34 WHIP

But his last 4 starts:
    4-0 / 29.0 IP / 2 ER / 5 BB / 32 K

That's down right dominating, granted it is a VERY small sample size.

Kris Benson (2006):
    9-8 / 4.59 ERA / 1.36 WHIP

Not as great as Bedard, but the Orioles would surely pay part of his salary ($8.3 MM) and his performance might improve if he was put in a playoff situation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Erik Bedard or Kris Benson?

Bedard is interesting to me, but I think they'd want too much for him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The Reds are running out of trading chips. Once you get past Jason LaRue (whose value has to be next to nothing, at this point) and Ryan Freel (who is probably needed as a backup more than ever now), you start getting into names that probably shouldn't be considered for deals like this.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Yeah, for Bedard they'd want a package with Homer in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    The Reds are running out of trading chips. Once you get past Jason LaRue (whose value has to be next to nothing, at this point) and Ryan Freel (who is probably needed as a backup more than ever now), you start getting into names that probably shouldn't be considered for deals like this.

I'm of the opinion that under the right circumstances Larue could have more value than Lopez because he can actually field his position.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I have to believe the Orioles have absolutely no interest in trading Bedard. He has developed into an ace and should be their number one starter to build their team around.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Bedard is on a role right now too. The O's would probably want a lot for him.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'm of the opinion that under the right circumstances Larue could have more value than Lopez because he can actually field his position.
    Depends on how much salary the Reds eat. If they sent him somewhere close to free and clear, I think he has value. I just think his perceived value at this moment is fairly low -- If I had to hazard a guess, the Reds are probably being lowballed on Jason LaRue, and will continue to be lowballed until the deadline gets closer and/or his production picks up to his career norms.

Depends on how much salary the Reds eat. If they sent him somewhere close to free and clear, I think he has value. I just think his perceived value at this moment is fairly low -- If I had to hazard a guess, the Reds are probably being lowballed on Jason LaRue, and will continue to be lowballed until the deadline gets closer and/or his production picks up to his career norms.
    Right now I don't see any teams that really need a catcher other than the Giants but that may change due to injury (although time is running out).

That market may develop in the off season though.

However, if a team gets in a bind Jason Larue is a solution at the position he plays, something which I don't think a lot of teams felt Lopez was, and it abundantly clear from the trade the Reds just made that teams WILL overpay for what they feel they truly need.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Right now I don't see any teams that really need a catcher other than the Giants but that may change due to injury (although time is running out).

That market may develop in the off season though.

However, if a team gets in a bind Jason Larue is a solution at the position he plays, something which I don't think a lot of teams felt Lopez was, and it abundantly clear from the trade the Reds just made that teams WILL overpay for what they feel they truly need.
    Once you hit the offseason, and the focus is next year, I think you almost have to stay with LaRue. The only value I see in dealing him is in getting pitching help for the run this year, and once the offseason hits, you can probably just go out and buy the help you need on the market.

Trading LaRue makes another hole to fill. Certainly can't count on Ross to repeat a career year next year -- that line of thinking (hopefully) went out the window with Dan O'Brien and the Javier Valentin fiasco.

Once you hit the offseason, and the focus is next year, I think you almost have to stay with LaRue. The only value I see in dealing him is in getting pitching help for the run this year, and once the offseason hits, you can probably just go out and buy the help you need on the market.

Trading LaRue makes another hole to fill. Certainly can't count on Ross to repeat a career year next year -- that line of thinking (hopefully) went out the window with Dan O'Brien and the Javier Valentin fiasco.
    I tend to agree with that, I was really just trying to explain why I felt Larue did have some trade value.

But Larue is one of my favorite players so maybe I'm biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    I have to believe the Orioles have absolutely no interest in trading Bedard. He has developed into an ace and should be their number one starter to build their team around.
    I wouldn't say he's developed as far as an ace. He's still too inconsistent. He didn't have a great first two months of the season, with an ERA of 3.69 in April and 7.85 in May. He's had a good June and a great July so far however.

But is he really a guy the Orioles are going to build their staff around? The team is full aging veterans in Melvin Mora, Miguel Tejada, Javy Lopez, and Kris Benson. Besides Chris Ray (who's going to be a great closer), Nick Markakis, Brandon Fahey, and Adam Loewen, I can see everybody being available.

And on the topic of Jason LaRue's market value, what about Ramon Hernandez? Besides Joe Maurer, Pudge, and maybe A.J. Pierzynski, he's been the best catcher in the A.L.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon
    I wouldn't say he's developed as far as an ace. He's still too inconsistent. He didn't have a great first two months of the season, with an ERA of 3.69 in April and 7.85 in May. He's had a good June and a great July so far however.
    This isn't an inconsistent pitcher who is good one day and bad the next. His pattern isn't inconsistent, it's developing. He started out poorly as he continued to adjust after knee problems that plagued his season last year, but has developed into one of the very top pitchers in baseball since June.

But is he really a guy the Orioles are going to build their staff around?
    Absolutely. He is one of the top young pitchers in baseball. It is almost like the guy has gotten better every time out there. In his last three starts covering 21 innings, he has given up 13 hits, four walks, and two earned runs while striking out 19. There is not a team in baseball that would trade this cheap young pitcher at this time.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-17-2006 at 06:34 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

i'd rather aim for Chris Britton than pay the cost that would be Bedard.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

the more i think about it i like the idea of sending OF Drew Anderson and RHP Josh Hall in hopes of claiming RHP CHris Britton and SS Brandon Fahey.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?