Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '99 vs. '06

'99 vs. '06

I keep hearing comparisons about the 99 team and this year's team which got me thinking about this question: If this year's team makes a serious playoff push, or even makes the playoffs, do you think you will remember it as fondly as you do the 99 team. I mean, the 99 team was something special, and they didn't even technically make the playoffs. They were over-achievers. Add in the group of guys on the team, and you have a lot of people with a lot of fond memories of that season.

On the other hand, the 99 team didn't even make the playoffs. How special can a team be that doesn't even make the playoffs? I mean, why does everyone view the 99 team as being so special when on paper all you see is a team that just made the playoffs?

I have my own reasons for remembering that team so fondly, as you have yours, and in some ways I don't know that everyone will view this team as being as special as the 99 team. That being said, there is almost half a season to go, and I don't know that the 99 team had such a special feeling about it at this point in the season, so maybe people will look back at the 06 team and say "that team was special." I mean, this team is evolving into a solid unit.

Defense is lacking, but getting better. The bullpen is being rebuilt and could be close to respectability with a solid arm in Majewski, and the possibilities of Bray, along with a solid closer. Throw in the potential of Coffey, and you have the makings of a solid bullpen. Starting pitching is doing its part, and IMO is one solid pitcher away (middle of the rotation guy) from being very respectable. Offense, as always in recent history, is going to be above average, despite trading away Kearns and Lopez. A good mix of young guys and veterans with post season experience all around. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but all together I think this team may be just one solid middle of the rotation pitcher from being the most complete team the Reds have had in a long time. But is that exactly what could make this team not as special as the 99 team?

The reason I liked the 99 team so well was that the team seemed to be a group of regular guys who played the game with a lot of heart, and made a run against all odds. It is oddly similar to this year's Bearcat team. They were expected to loose because of the talent level of the players. Instead of giving in, they went out and just played. Just to watch the team's heart and determination throughout the season was something special. Both teams just missed the post season (playoffs, NCAA tourney), and both are going to be remembered by Cincy sports fans for a long time. Little talent, big hearts. Thats why the 99 team was so special.

That was a long post for such a simple question, but I pose these questions to you. Why was the 99 team so special to you? Even if the 06 team makes the playoffs, will it be as special as the 99 team?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: '99 vs. '06

the 99 team won 96 games. that is special no matter if you made the playoffs or not. if not for pi$$ing away a couple of games to the brewers the final weekend they would have been in.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    the 99 team won 96 games. that is special no matter if you made the playoffs or not. if not for pi$$ing away a couple of games to the brewers the final weekend they would have been in.
    To this day, I still cannot get that Brewer series out of my mind.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

The bullpen on that 99 team was lights out. Scott Williams and Danny Graves were both unhittable.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    or if they had beaten any other team just one more time in the previous 159 games.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

One huge difference, I hope, is that the '99 team was a one-year wonder, while this year the feeling is more that, with the new ownership, a genuine desire to win will make this the first of many contending years.

So while there may be more of a fondness for the there-and-gone heady days of '99, this year may prove more significant.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Does this make Brosnon Arroyo this year's Steve Parris?

I think this year's team is similar to last year's Indians team.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre

I like that comparison except that Indians team was a lot younger if I'm not mistaken. My memory is poor at times.

I don't know that the 96 wins were what made the 99 team special. The unique thing about that team is that they didn't make the playoffs and they are still a special team in many of the Red's fans eyes. Why is that? Just one year where we were made to believe that anything could happen. What sets that year apart from any other near misses? Is it because it happened more recent than the others?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

God I hope not, b/c all I could think when Parris was named the starter of the 1 game playoff against the Mets was "Steve F'n Parris?!?!?!"

Arroyo is far superior to anything Steve Parris.

I still hate Steve Parris for that game, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Lots of other choices to hate for that game...

Code:
    Cincinnati Reds       AB   R   H RBI      BB  SO      PO   A
    Reese 2b               3   0   1   0       1   0       3   5
    Larkin ss              3   0   0   0       1   1       1   3
    Casey 1b               4   0   0   0       0   2      13   0
    Vaughn lf              3   0   0   0       1   2       3   0
    Young rf               4   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
    Hammonds cf            3   0   1   0       0   0       2   0
    Taubensee c            2   0   0   0       1   0       5   1
    Boone 3b               3   0   0   0       0   1       0   2
    Parris p               0   0   0   0       0   0       0   1
      Neagle p             1   0   0   0       0   1       0   1
      Stynes ph            1   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
      Graves p             0   0   0   0       0   0       0   2
      Lewis ph             1   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
      Reyes p              0   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
    Totals                28   0   2   0       4   7      27  15
    Leiter was nails that night... maybe the best I've ever seen in person.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    God I hope not, b/c all I could think when Parris was named the starter of the 1 game playoff against the Mets was "Steve F'n Parris?!?!?!"

Arroyo is far superior to anything Steve Parris.

he was 11-4 with a 3.50 ERA that year

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    The bullpen on that 99 team was lights out. Scott Williams and Danny Graves were both unhittable.
    Don't forget Sully. That guy always seemed to find ways to get out of runners-on-base jams in the 7th and 8th. Ate up a lot of innings in middle relief too.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the 99 team's stats. Willy had 13 wild pitches in 93 innings? Does that seem like a lot to anyone else? Then again, you have electric stuff as young as he was; maybe you don't always know where it's going.
    No one expects the butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPitchIsDunn
    Don't forget Sully. That guy always seemed to find ways to get out of runners-on-base jams in the 7th and 8th. Ate up a lot of innings in middle relief too.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the 99 team's stats. Willy had 13 wild pitches in 93 innings? Does that seem like a lot to anyone else? Then again, you have electric stuff as young as he was; maybe you don't always know where it's going.
    Do you remember watching Taubensee catch?

Totally different Teams. The '99 team swept the Rockies in Colorado. This years team swept the Rockies at home.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Do you remember watching Taubensee catch?

I only remembered his .300 hitting I guess.
    No one expects the butterfly

Turn Off Ads?