Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: per prosportsdaily.. Reds talking to Baltimore about Rodrigo Lopez

per prosportsdaily.. Reds talking to Baltimore about Rodrigo Lopez

Per prosportsdaily

"New York Post (scroll down)(registration required): "However, Rodrigo Lopez is very available... The Yanks and, especially, the Mets have been intrigued... The Cardinals, Reds, Padres, Rockies and Diamondbacks are intrigued enough that they are talking to Baltimore about Lopez."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: per prosportsdaily.. Reds talking to Baltimore about Rodrigo Lopez

Yuck. I'd rather have Mark Redman, and that's saying something.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

only if Ray Miller comes with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Yuck. I'd rather have Mark Redman, and that's saying something.
    He HAS to be better than Mays!!!!!

Supposedly Jon Lieber of the Phillies is on the block. He might be a better option than Lopez or Redman.

If anything the starting pitchers that might be available at the trading deadline don't look too enticing.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Supposedly Jon Lieber of the Phillies is on the block. He might be a better option than Lopez or Redman.

If anything the starting pitchers that might be available at the trading deadline don't look too enticing.
    Well, there are the two White Sox starters. Unfortunately, they want relief pitching for them, something we don't have to give unless we want to go back to where we were a week ago. Yan is still languishing in his 10 day limbo
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Most. Boring. Trade. Year. EVER.

I think the good news for this trade deadline is that most starters that are available are 4/5 starters. There aren't too many aces (if any) available. Why is that a good thing? Well, we don't really need an ace, and I wouldn't want to pay for one (as far as prospects / players go) right now anyway. We need someone to be solid in the 4/5 slot. Sure, we'd all like to have Pedro Martinez, Johan Santana and the like, but that's not going to happen right now anyway. I think if we can just land a guy that would do a solid job of keeping us in games out of the 5 spot in the rotation, this team would be improved significantly.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Well, we don't really need an ace
    which team are you watching?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty

Supposedly everything here in Philly not named Utley or Howard is on the block. I expect Bobby Abreu to leave town anyday.

If we're trading with the Phils, realistically there are only about 4 guys ( that they might trade) I would want from the Broad Street Babies.... Shane Victorino, Geoff Geary, Brett Myers, Fabio Castro.

I'd go:
    Myers
    Castro
    Geary
    Victorino

in that order.

Myers gives us probably a #3, while definitely helps the rotation, while Castro and Geary offer a lefty/righty tandum that are sporting ERAs under 3.40 both for the year. Victorino would be similar to Chris Denorfia, except that Victorino would give us a lead off option while being a 4th OF.

Thoughts?

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Supposedly everything here in Philly not named Utley or Howard is on the block. I expect Bobby Abreu to leave town anyday.

If we're trading with the Phils, realistically there are only about 4 guys ( that they might trade) I would want from the Broad Street Babies.... Shane Victorino, Geoff Geary, Brett Myers, Fabio Castro.

I'd go:
    Myers
    Castro
    Geary
    Victorino

in that order.

Myers gives us probably a #3, while definitely helps the rotation, while Castro and Geary offer a lefty/righty tandum that are sporting ERAs under 3.40 both for the year. Victorino would be similar to Chris Denorfia, except that Victorino would give us a lead off option while being a 4th OF.

Thoughts?
    Myers is definitely the prime target if you're dealing with the Phils. What do you think it would take to get him?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    which team are you watching?
    The one that gives me the feeling that they are at least 2 years away from being serious contenders. For this season, I'm fine with Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang leading the rotation. What I wouldn't be fine with is the Reds giving up Homer Bailey or Jay Bruce along with others to acquire a starter like John Smoltz to front the rotation. Sure, he's an ideal target, has plenty of post season experience and can teach your current pitchers, but I just don't feel that all of the ingredients are there for this to be a world championship team.

I guess I should have reworded my original post. We could use an ace pitcher, but I don't think we can afford to acquire one in this market. I think it would set us back for the future.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Roster glue

Rodrigo Lopez has only had 3 starts in which he has allowed fewer than 4 runs (5 in which he has allowed fewer than 4 earned runs). The 6.44 ERA, .904 OPS allowed, and 1.57 WHIP are UGLY.

"Better than Joe Mays" does not mean "solution to a problem" or "good use of a roster spot." Let's hope the Cardinals waste resources picking him up.

Looks like the board agrees.

Sure, he's an ideal target, has plenty of post season experience and can teach your current pitchers, but I just don't feel that all of the ingredients are there for this to be a world championship team.
    again, which team are you watching?

assuming that one of the relievers steps up as closer (and there's a big if for you), then Smoltz does put the team as close to over the top as you get from a small market team. We'd also trade for a vet bat, and give Votto a chance to play a Miguel Cabrera debut, which certainly doesn't happen for him

I don't see us parting with Bruce/Bailey-- though I no longer am surprised-- but carrying three starters and two sluggers into a postseason really is as good as it's going to get. This is a team that's built more for postseason than for the long grind, but if they get there then it wouldn't be painful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    again, which team are you watching?

assuming that one of the relievers steps up as closer (and there's a big if for you), then Smoltz does put the team as close to over the top as you get from a small market team. We'd also trade for a vet bat, and give Votto a chance to play a Miguel Cabrera debut, which certainly doesn't happen for him

I don't see us parting with Bruce/Bailey-- though I no longer am surprised-- but carrying three starters and two sluggers into a postseason really is as good as it's going to get. This is a team that's built more for postseason than for the long grind, but if they get there then it wouldn't be painful to watch.
    There are still too many "ifs" for me this year. "If" we get an ace pitcher we'd go into the post season with say, Smoltz, Arroyo, and Harang, which is nice for sure. What do we have to give up to get Smoltz? How far does that set us back for the future? Assuming we get him and don't have to give up Bailey or Bruce, how far are we going to go with Eddie Guardado as our closer? Is our defense tight enough? Is our offense now consistent enough? After you posted what you did, it made me realize how right you were about how this team is built more for a short series than the long haul, but even after acquiring an ace pitcher, I'm not so sure we have the other pieces to be a world series contender. It would definately be a risk. And I'm not so sure that risk wouldn't involve us giving up several key pieces for our future. That's what I'm afraid of gambling on.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?