Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keith Law savaged us in his ESPN chat today

WHOOOOOO!

Keith Law savaged us in his ESPN chat today

I'm not buying what he says, but I have to say I agree we overpaid. I have cooled off about it and I'm kind of happy about the trade now. He does not seem as supportive.

Matt (Arlington, VA): I was glad to see someone finally write something positive about the Red's aquisition's from the Nats. As a Reds fan, I think we had enough depth to make that trade. However, do you think they have one more move left in them (maybe one more starting pitcher) or are they finished?

Keith Law: (12:58 PM ET ) Well, it wasn't me - I thought that was a terrible deal for the Reds, and I have yet to find one MLB exec at any level who thought it was less than a steal for Washington. I think Krivsky's going to be aggressive and I expect him to try to acquire another arm, but his cupboard is just about bare, especially if Homer Bailey is untouchable.

nick (cincy, OH): Do you believe the reds will be a playoff team this year?

Keith Law: (1:06 PM ET ) No. I think their margin for error was small, and losing 1-3 wins in last week's deal will leave them on the outside.

Bobby (Cincinnati,OH): Do you think the reds will shop Adam Dunn to try and get some more pitching?

Keith Law: (1:09 PM ET ) I don't think they can, not after dealing Kearns and Lopez, unless it was a deal that got them a pretty good bat AND an arm in return - and that's not happening.

JJ (Iowa): Is it possible that every MLB exec., who has judged the Reds-Nats deal a steal, is wrong? The Reds lost the bigger names but Kearns is injury prone and unfulfilled potential personified with a poor work ethic. Lopez is an error machine with a lot of talent but Brandon Phillips can play SS and both were due huge raises down the road.

Keith Law: (1:15 PM ET ) It's possible that all those execs are wrong ... but it's really unlikely in this case. Kearns has been healthy all year, and you really have no idea about his work ethic at all. That's one thing that really bugs me - when people with no contact with teams or players try to impute personality traits (especially negative ones, like a poor work ethic) to specific players. You just don't know. Frankly, even when you're in a game, it's hard to adequately evaluate the makeup of a player on another team. You're heavily dependent on hearsay.

Don't Wimp Out (Cincy): Follow up on why you dislike the Reds-Nats trade. Doesn't team needs come before talent if you are in a playoff race?

Keith Law: (1:44 PM ET ) Yes, absolutely. What I dislike about the deal is the magnitude of the difference between the talent surrendered and the talent received by CIN. But yes, to your general point, trading $1.10 of offense for $1 of pitching is sensible when you're contending and you have too much O and not enough P.
    If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.-Jimmy Buffett

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keith Law savaged us in his ESPN chat today

I've never heard of Keith Law, so why should his opinion matter any more than mine?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Who is Keith Law? Never heard of him until today, so as most naysayers have criticizied the trade because we didn't get a big name, I'm not going to take Keith seriously since I've never heard of him.

It's popular to hate the trade and that's the safe call, why take a risk and call it a good deal for the Reds? For the record, I think it will end up being a good deal for the Reds in the short term at least.

Anyway, one thing that sticks out. He thinks the Reds lose 1-3 wins by giving up FeLo and Kearns. This guy is a complete idiot and proves it with that statement. The Reds lost 12+ games due to crappy pen performance in the first half. If these three new guys can cut that down, then it's a net gain. I guess when you want to be against something though, it's harder to use a more global perspective. Bah...
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

He works for Scouts, Inc. but just started at ESPN a few months ago. While he has more contacts than most here on the board, his word isn't gospel despite what he may think.

Keith used to write for BP, then worked for the Blue Jays.

That said, what does Keith know about Kearns and Lopez's off field and training existance?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I've never heard of Keith Law, so why should his opinion matter any more than mine?
    Keith Law is the senior baseball analyst for Scouts Inc. Before joining ESPN, Law served as special assistant to the general manager of the Toronto Blue Jays and was a writer for Baseball Prospectus.
    He might know something we don't.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    He might know something we don't.

Sorry, I'll take Team Clark's word and any other RedsZone Member's insight over Keith Law's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyReds2003
    Sorry, I'll take Team Clark's word and any other RedsZone Member's insight over Keith Law's opinion.
    I wouldn't go that far!!!

Everyone hated the Reds-Astros trade back in 1971 and we saw how it turned out. Three years from now let's judge the deal. How the heck can you say it is a bad deal when the Reds have gone 4-0 since the deal?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    I wouldn't go that far!!!
    Okay...most RedsZone members..

Quote Originally Posted by flynn78
    Keith Law: and you really have no idea about his work ethic at all. That's one thing that really bugs me - when people with no contact with teams or players try to impute personality traits (especially negative ones, like a poor work ethic) to specific players. You just don't know. Frankly, even when you're in a game, it's hard to adequately evaluate the makeup of a player on another team. You're heavily dependent on hearsay.
    As are you Keith for assuming the person asking the question is merely imputing a negative trait on Kearns. Had he read Redszone.....

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Buster Olney said last night on Baseball Tonight (I'm paraphrasing), that the Reds have been ripped for this trade, because people think they gave up more than they should have (Steve Phillips absolutely lambasted this team for it...most lobsided trade he's ever seen). However, pretty much all of baseball is looking for relief pitching. Reds got 2 relief pitchers, who a lot of people in baseball think are quality relievers. Wayne Krivsky said to him that he knew, without bullpen help, this team wasn't going to win anything.... They're going to hang around this thing.

You know, as much as usually don't agree with Buster.....he's pretty much the only one so far who's looked at this correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Buster Olney said last night on Baseball Tonight (I'm paraphrasing), that the Reds have been ripped for this trade, because people think they gave up more than they should have (Steve Phillips absolutely lambasted this team for it...most lobsided trade he's ever seen). However, pretty much all of baseball is looking for relief pitching. Reds got 2 relief pitchers, who a lot of people in baseball think are quality relievers. Wayne Krivsky said to him that he knew, without bullpen help, this team wasn't going to win anything.... They're going to hang around this thing.

You know, as much as usually don't agree with Buster.....he's pretty much the only one so far who's looked at this correctly.
    I saw one of the headlines on ESPN.com today was Olney's column "Reds did well in acquiring bullpen help." Did he shift gears on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    I saw one of the headlines on ESPN.com today was Olney's column "Reds did well in acquiring bullpen help." Did he shift gears on this one?
    Already discussed: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48743

Turn Off Ads?