Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barry Larkin -- Tonight

Barry Larkin -- Tonight

So with Barry Larkin having his bobblehead giveaway tonight, does anybody here possibly know if he will be attending the game or not. I know several years ago, I believe during the second year of them giving them away, guys like Sabo and Davis came in for their bobbleheads. So does anybody have any idea with this one? Also, in a related question but a little off the beatin path, what is Larkin's official job title now and with which team and what does he exactly do with that job? Is it still with the Nationals? Does he travel with the team, like would he come to Cincy with that team when they travel? Thanks in advance

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Barry Larkin -- Tonight

I think he's still employed by the Nationals. I forget his exact title.

I hope Bob Cast's new regime has tried to mend relations with Larkin. Over the past several years, John Allen went out of his way to get rid of Larkin as fast as possible and to try to prevent him from visiting, etc. I assume that Bobbleheads need to be planned well in advance, so I guess Lindner/Allen's group planned this event. I doubt they wanted Barry back, they just want to use his face to sell some extra tickets
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

He was asked but he declined.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    :thumbdown

I was looking forward to seeing him tonight.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    :thumbdown

I was looking forward to seeing him tonight.
    the same here....so he is with the nats then? i wonder if the fence has been mended and he will visit when the nats come to town next?

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

TC, do you know if it was for personal reasons? Or if there was a conflict of interest, since he works for the Nationals or if he had other business to attend to?
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

John Allen is still with the Reds so the fences might not get completely mended while he's still around. With Bob C.'s attitude about the past and his spoken desire to reach out to all the former Redlegs, I'm sure the organization has tried to get Barry here for tonight. It's most unfortunate if he's still unwilling to come.

The thing that worries me most about tonight is the big crowd factor. The Larkin bobblehead should pull in 30,000+, don't you think? What are they, like, 1-10 when they play at home in front of big crowds? Hopefully Harang is at home right now eating an extra bowl of Wheaties.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    John Allen is still with the Reds so the fences might not get completely mended while he's still around. With Bob C.'s attitude about the past and his spoken desire to reach out to all the former Redlegs, I'm sure the organization has tried to get Barry here for tonight. It's most unfortunate if he's still unwilling to come.

The thing that worries me most about tonight is the big crowd factor. The Larkin bobblehead should pull in 30,000+, don't you think? What are they, like, 1-10 when they play at home in front of big crowds? Hopefully Harang is at home right now eating an extra bowl of Wheaties.
    and getting his gameface on and READY!!!!

Harang, just like the rest of his buddies, is worse at Great American Ball Park than he is on the road.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    TC, do you know if it was for personal reasons? Or if there was a conflict of interest, since he works for the Nationals or if he had other business to attend to?
    I asked his brother Steve if he was coming to town since I will be home through Wednesday. He said the Reds had asked Barry to attend and Barry politely declined.

Funny thing is Barry could be joining the Reds FO soon. I know there is still some bad blood but when do you move past that? Or do you? We all have had similar situations and we all handle them differently.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Sounds like the same old Berry too me.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba
    Sounds like the same old Berry too me.
    Mark Berry? What would he have against a Larkin bobblehead?

I am still baffled why they are doing all shortstops this season especially since they have already had a Larkin one. I wonder if they are going to do that for every position each year? I hope that Ronnie O gets one!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60
    I am still baffled why they are doing all shortstops this season especially since they have already had a Larkin one. I wonder if they are going to do that for every position each year? I hope that Ronnie O gets one!!!!!
    Because the Reds have the greatest run of shortstops in MLB history.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60
    They're doing the shortstops because of this teams very rich tradition at that position. (Power of Tradition).

In the past 35-some-odd years, there have been three shortstops...Davey Concepcion, Barry Larkin and Felipe Lopez.

That's why they're focusing on the shortstop position.

Turn Off Ads?